Advice Request Switching Password Managers, is it easy?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Considering switching from LastPass after 6-7 years, how easy is it to switch to another provider?
@Spawn It's a little bit of work, but doable...
I switched from LastPass to Bitwarden (and back again for work related reasons).
WARNING
There are known bugs (for years now) with the LastPass exporter regarding special characters such as the ampersand (&), the greater than sign (>), and the less than sign (<). The LastPass exporter may change (HTML encode) these and possibly other special characters in your passwords to their respective HTML encoded values (ex. &amp;, &gt;, and &lt;). If this LastPass bug affects your exported data you should use a text editor (such as Notepad) to find and replace all of these values before importing into Bitwarden. For example, you may want to do a find and replace for &amp; → & and &lt; → <).

Alternatively, you can use the LastPass Pocket application to export your CSV data. The LastPass Pocket application does not appear to be affected by these bugs.
I used the LastPass Pocket application to export my data.
All went well except for one site that uses three data fields (username, code, and password).

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Depends on how/ if your LastPass provide a export and which services are supported by other password manager provider/ tool you want switching to.
Currently evaluating and comparing all features of competing companies before signing up to any other services.

I switched from LastPass to Bitwarden (and back again for work related reasons).
For work, do you use the Business or Enterprise version of LastPass?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Off topic: I'm curious as to why you're wanting to switch from LastPass.
I use the free version of LastPass and have encountered some minor annoyances lately. Not sure if I should switch but this thread should help me in that decision.
It is one of the best and most trusted Password Managers on the market.

So far the competition has not been good enough.

Edit: Good enough as in comparing features, or they use alternative methods.

Last edited:

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
The last time I changed PW managers was going from the Firefox browser PW manager to an external one. I tried several (incl. Password Safe and KeePassXC), but only KeePass 2.x imported everything correctly. I would not want to change PW managers again because it was a frustrating experience to do it once.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
But you can't sync on the free addition of LastPass if needed.
LastPass (Free) allows multi-device. You can set-up restrictions if you do not want your LastPass to be used in different countries, Tor, mobile devices etc.

The Premium tier gives extra peace of mind.
- Unlimited sharing of passwords, items and notes
- 1GB encrypted file storage
- Premium multi-factor authentication like YubiKey
- Priority tech support
- Desktop fingerprint authentication

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.