Symantec, ESET, McAfee rank first in Windows anti-malware market share

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
i think we all have our good days and bad days or write something that is misread on what we were trying to say or
we did not write it well wee in the morning for some of us but all i know when something bad happens to my or your computers i know that everyone here will solve the problem together.we need to disagree once in awhile that is what keeps us all going and learning. but to be better then someone or disrespect someones view is not right and simply life is to short more friends you have the more you will learn...

i have to say i have tried new Mcafee and it really is not that bad it updates all the time you dont even know it installed when online
you feel no impact on the system at all it just works well.my only thing its a hefty install.

low L!fe

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
I see McAfee there as well.
I have to admit my only contact with McAfee in the last decade was seeing it pre-installed in a laptop and uninstalling it to replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials and this was already a long time ago.
Decades ago though, I remember McAfee being one of the top dogs.

How is McAfee these days ?

For me
better than Kaspersky and Bitdefender
These programs Advertisement
mcafwee.png

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
yes i do agree since Intel jumped in Mcafee is really improving year after year and perhaps its not right for being preinstalled on a system
that makes me go crazy to but thats the computer manufacture having a deal with them.like dell did norton for awhile and now they our with Mcafee. i just wonder if the Mcafee gamer edition is any good the price is really high right now not like webroot gamer.and do the gaming editions
really help or do they simply just say they do

harlan4096 good or bad results

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
View attachment 229997
Antivirus programs from Symantec, ESET, and McAfee are today's most popular Windows-based anti-malware products, according to usage data gathered by enterprise software vendor OPSWAT.
As it follows from the report and some other reports, the most popular is actually Windows Defender, which was intentionally excluded. In fact, the report is not about the most popular products, but about the "most popular products of user's choice'" (whatever it means). Here is a citation from the report:

"Although Microsoft is heavily saturated in the anti-malware product market, we have excluded this vendor because we feel that its products do not accurately represent the user's product of choice as they come pre-installed on many Windows systems and cannot be removed."

This awkward argumentation follows from the fact that OPSWAT could not estimate how popular would be WD, if it was not preinstalled in Windows.

WD is the most popular for some reasons:
  1. It is free.
  2. It is as good as other free AVs.
  3. It is preinstalled in Windows.
  4. It is most compatible with Windows OS.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
but about the "most popular products of user's choice'" (whatever it means). Here is a citation from the report:

"Although Microsoft is heavily saturated in the anti-malware product market, we have excluded this vendor because we feel that its products do not accurately represent the user's product of choice as they come pre-installed on many Windows systems and cannot be removed."

The fact of WD being built into the OS is irrelevant because it doesn't force a choice on any user. Not acting via seeking and installing a 3rd party AV is an act (or inaction) of choice in and of itself.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I think your tone is not right, maybe you should calm down and think a bit before answering nonsense
My tone was always like this, sorry if you feel offended, not my intention but I won't change it.
I'm very cool and I always think before posting. I'm in this forum since very very long time, oldest member knows me very well and my tone to you is far less hard than some got from me on the past.
And at the beginning I didn't even focused you but you seemed offended, then you throw me your degree as if it was some kind of valid argument, sorry but it means nothing to me.

@SeriousHoax
Disrespectful? Never, it is straight unbiased talk whatever history I have with the person. If my worst enemy is right, I will support him, if my best friend is wrong I will bash him hard.
Offensive? Maybe especially when I read BS. I'm not here to cope with people sensibility, I'm here to share my knowledge and understanding of security, not to look good or make buddies . Some can get along with it, others don't, I'm can't please everybody.
Personally, I rather read comments from a rude but informative guy than from a sweet dude saying crap believing he knows better (I focus no one saying that). I regret many of them aren't here anymore.
And what the problem about me using LOL or noob? I use the most direct talk so people get it fast, simple as that.
About your feeling thinking as if I am always right, that is how you perceive it, i'm not always right but i'm often right, because unlike many, when I state something, I did researches beforehand or I have experience with i, reason why you feel this way when I post.
For example, you won't see me debating about networking or coding, not my field of skills.

Now, I'm done explaining myself, I did because I was away from MT for several months and recent members may obviously not know how I am.
Now you and others know, free to you to keep reading my posts whatever appropriate or not tone I use or if you can't cope, press the ignore button. Life is simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

This awkward argumentation follows from the fact that OPSWAT could not estimate how popular would be WD, if it was not preinstalled in Windows.
The fact of WD being built into the OS is irrelevant because it doesn't force a choice on any user. Not acting via seeking and installing a 3rd party AV is an act (or inaction) of choice in and of itself.
in fact, you can't really evaluate WD popularity, because Average Joe is often not aware or skilled enough to install any 3rd party solutions, most use what was pre-installed in the computer.
For this report to be fully legit, it should only report datas about a solution being actively installed by the user (aka installer ran after their tool monitoring the system). A machine pre-installed with Norton or McAffee is no different than one with WD.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
because Average Joe is often not aware or skilled enough to install any 3rd party solutions, most use what was pre-installed in the computer.

This may be true for some users but we can't say what percentage of them because we don't know who "average Joe" is. There certainly are ignorant or uninformed people but we can't say that everyone fits this description. I stand by my observation. They can only claim their facts are true for those who pay for 3rd party. They cannot make any claims about those who don't.

Antus67

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Nov 3, 2019
I see McAfee there as well.
I have to admit my only contact with McAfee in the last decade was seeing it pre-installed in a laptop and uninstalling it to replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials and this was already a long time ago.
Decades ago though, I remember McAfee being one of the top dogs.
View attachment 229997
Antivirus programs from Symantec, ESET, and McAfee are today's most popular Windows-based anti-malware products, according to usage data gathered by enterprise software vendor OPSWAT.
For more than five years, OPSWAT has been collecting data and publishing monthly market share reports for the Windows anti-malware market.
The company says it collects its data from more than 30,000 enterprise and home systems where customers installed its free apps.
Avast, the market's leader for the past five years, has fallen to #6.
According to its latest report, published at the end of October, Symantec is today's top anti-malware vendor, with a market share of 13.56%, followed by ESET with 12.84%, and McAfee with 12.21%.

just thought i will strike a conversation with this
They key word is marketing that spears head the popularity of its product it may not be the best but marketing can cover a lot of mistakes

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
This report is certainly not representative of real world use, not even close. Any other reports I've ever seen has WD and Avast as 1, 2 or 2,1.

Average Joe, term is getting bandied about too much here, some use it as an Average Joe has trouble even turning his computer on. Its sort of demeaning. Yes there are a lot of clueless users but I don't think that like 90% of users don't know what an AV is or how to use it.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

@Digmor Crusher 90% probably not, but did you see how tablets and phones dethroned computers?
Because to the very Average Joe, they are easy to use, one click to install an app, another to remove it. Update the OS? one click too.
No maintenance, no backup to do, no drivers to install.

It is the same for security. People want Install & Forget solutions. We security geeks live in a microcosm, our " valors" are unheard and insignificant to the masses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Windows Defender being opt-out rather than opt-in is actually significant. An act or an opt-in would yield different numbers to an act of inaction or opt-out. Defaults are quicker. Humans are busy and lazy. Defaults have power.

vantinz

Nov 5, 2019
No..!beacuse there number of other antivirus are available in market.
Problems with mcafee:
  • It does not scan on regular bases.
  • It also not update database weekly/daily..incase other antivirus update their database regularly(daily/weekly).
  • I find sometimes its unable to detect(when i m trying to test mcafee av)
  • Its takes lot of memory on system.system also become slow Due To Antivirus is activate.
  • Required lot of storage space.
  • Installation process takes lot of time may be diffcult for someone with less knowlwge of computer(native user) and things will be get worse if you have slow net.
  • Authentication/verification process is lengty.
I will recommend to use NPAV or anyother Antivirus.
Hope this Helps...!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.