SysHardener: Default PowerShell settings are too restrictive?

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
I noticed that windows started to act weird after I installed SH, reading here and there it seems that many update functions do use PS scripts. Is the default setting (image below) too restrictive? Is it possible to allow PS for safe windows services? What would you suggest?

12b01288.jpg

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I've used syshardener on and off and I haven't had any issues with updates. Just to clarify, when you say updates are you referring to windows updates, program specific update, or all updates in general. If its windows updates, if I'm not mistaken, powershell shouldn't affect it and IMO 3rd parties shouldn't be using powershell to update. Also I don't think that setting takes effect unless you check the box at the top, but I could be wrong on that one. Did you make any other changes to syshardener, or is everything at default?

Just to keep in mind, while a program like syshardener is really good, it can break things if one isn't sure of what that setting is doing. I'm not saying you don't know what your doing, but just want to highlight potential cons with programs like these.

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
I've used syshardener on and off and I haven't had any issues with updates. Just to clarify, when you say updates are you referring to windows updates, program specific update, or all updates in general. If its windows updates, if I'm not mistaken, powershell shouldn't affect it and IMO 3rd parties shouldn't be using powershell to update. Also I don't think that setting takes effect unless you check the box at the top, but I could be wrong on that one. Did you make any other changes to syshardener, or is everything at default?

Just to keep in mind, while a program like syshardener is really good, it can break things if one isn't sure of what that setting is doing. I'm not saying you don't know what your doing, but just want to highlight potential cons with programs like these.
Windows Updates pop up only when I manually search for them, windows login background screen is not updating in months now. this setting is an override, if you scroll down in the list there are two other checks tht disables PowerShell completly.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Your trouble may be dependent on your other SH settings. The default ps setting causes no problems for me, and I've never heard of update or other issues from others who use this setting. Did you use the default set of tweaks? or did you make your own selections. Remember, SH does not log or alert to any action so you won't know what the cause is if you don't understand the settings you've applied. This is one significant difference from Hard_Configurator. And then there are your other applications that need to be considered as well.

Please read the SysHardener FAQ if you haven't already and post issues in SysHardener thread here and at Wilders for help. Have you familiarized yourself with these threads?

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Windows Updates pop up only when I manually search for them, windows login background screen is not updating in months now. this setting is an override, if you scroll down in the list there are two other checks tht disables PowerShell completly.
I would try restoring all the settings in syshardener and reboot the computer. See if any of the issues are fixed. If so, it is most likely a setting with syshardener that is causing the issue. If you changed other settings within syshardener other than the default ones, I would try syshardener again, but only with the default options selected. Reboot the computer and see of the issue arises.

Unfortunatly like @oldschool said, the one drawback of syshardener is that it doesn't provide any logs, so you really wont know which is causing what issue without turning on one setting at a time. Also theres no whitelisting option with syshardener, so either the issue is not there, or it will always be there, unless you turn off the setting within syshardener. If you want something very similar to syshardener that has logging and whitelisting capabilities, I would check out hard configurator like @oldschool mentioned. It will give you the same capabilities as syshardener, along with the ability to troubleshoot issues more easily.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Please read the SysHardener FAQ if you haven't already and post issues in SysHardener thread here and at Wilders for help. Have you familiarized yourself with these threads?

True dat.

When 'me me me' threads are started rather than joining a discussion of a particular capability, they don't effectively contribute to the knowledge base of the forum.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I'll try that just to be sure as I cant say that I didnt change anything, is your windows login screen being updated while PowerShell is inactive?

It's worth a try!

I am not sure about the Windows login screen (I am assuming you are talking about the background) as I don't have Syshardener installed at the moment. Even then I am not sure as I usually set my own picture so it never changes.;) However another thing to check just to see if this got changed by accident. Check to see if the background setting for the lock screen is set to Windows Spotlight. If not, that may be the reason as to why you haven't seen it change in a while. If it's not, then change it back to Windows Spotlight and that should return the functionality of the background changing every 24h.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I noticed that windows started to act weird after I installed SH, reading here and there it seems that many update functions do use PS scripts. Is the default setting (image below) too restrictive? Is it possible to allow PS for safe windows services? What would you suggest?

12b01288.jpg
"Restricted" is the default setting used by Windows. That is how Microsoft automatically configures all Windows computers. So if you have Powershell at "Restricted", that means SysHardener has not changed the setting.

F

ForgottenSeer 85911

12b01288.jpg

no they do not
powershell does not need to be enable to Windows to function or update

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
In the Help section in the GUI.
I wanted to read about the "Disable DCOM (OLE)" item, but the help web page did not open. Whether it is necessary to disable it or not, and if it is necessary / not necessary, in what cases, and in general what function it is, whether the home user needs it, did not understand.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.