Advice Request Syshardener tweak suggestions?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I did this to restore defaults on a pc so I could use a program that needed a script (checking for specter/meltdown patches). Everything seemed fine until I could no longer open ConfigureDefender. I don’t know what setting it changed, but it was not changed to the value it was originally set at. I’m a bit wary of Syshardener now. I used the default values plus PowerShell constrained language. I was just surprised that restoring defaults broke CD. I reimaged and just cranked up OSArmor for now.

Do you use only Admin account or do you also have an SUA? As @shmu26 said, you would have to restore defaults in all accounts for SysHardener. Oh well, at least you were able to re-image. I learned it is best not to use certain apps or features if I am uncertain of the consequences.

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
SysHardener has many hardening .... because it blocks over 80% of malware delivery pahs, used in the wild by cybercriminals.

Hi @Andy Ful ,

First, thank you for your useful posts. I learn a lot from you.

Please, I have a request: If possible, please post the images with your SH' recommendations (suggested by you on past 02/26).

You pointed some general categories to block at SH. But SH doesn't speak exactly with your words, and ignorant newbies like me may confuse things. For example, at your post, some categories are easy to identify, but "block/restrict scripts and script Interpreters"... I have no idea what is it. LOLBins, the same.

For ignorant newbies like me, I believe that posting the images with your recommendation, it will be much better than you using words.

Thanks in advance!

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Do you use only Admin account or do you also have an SUA? As @shmu26 said, you would have to restore defaults in all accounts for SysHardener. Oh well, at least you were able to re-image. I learned it is best not to use certain apps or features if I am uncertain of the consequences.

One of the reasons I gave it a shot is I knew I could just re-image. I still may try it again. I almost never need scripts. I figured select all and restore was practical. What would be better is a snapshot so you could restore your pre-Syshardener settings. Which I guess would be the system restore point. Those files get big, though. I agree about using software you don’t understand being unadvisable sometimes. But I understood the default tweaks for the most part, and why the script wouldn’t run. It was the restoring defaults breaking things that surprised me.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hi @Andy Ful ,

First, thank you for your useful posts. I learn a lot from you.

Please, I have a request: If possible, please post the images with your SH' recommendations (suggested by you on past 02/26).

You pointed some general categories to block at SH. But SH doesn't speak exactly with your words, and ignorant newbies like me may confuse things. For example, at your post, some categories are easy to identify, but "block/restrict scripts and script Interpreters"... I have no idea what is it. LOLBins, the same.

For ignorant newbies like me, I believe that posting the images with your recommendation, it will be much better than you using words.

Thanks in advance!
I have a problem with suggesting advanced SysHardener settings to newbies. So let's make it clear. My suggestions are not for them, but a least for semi-advanced users. Anyway, I do not think that you are a newbie (like most of MT members).:giggle:

The outbound rules are for SysHardener ver. 1.5 (ver. 1.4 has fewer rules).

To restore the default Windows settings use <Un/Select All><Select All> and after selecting all options press <Restore Selected>.
Be safe.

Last edited:

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Fantastic @Andy Ful ! Thank you.

Yeah, I didn't expect your recommendations for newbies. I always will expect your own recommendations, independently on user level.

Please, another simple question. I am on SH V1.5, and I have some options, that if possible, I would like your confirmation to select or un-select:
Turn off server (LanmanServer) Service
Block Outbond Connections for Expand.exe
Block Outbond Connections for Ftp.exe
Block Outbond Connections for Print.exe
Block Outbond Connections for Replace.exe
Block Outbond Connections for Telnet.exe
Block Outbond Connections for Tfp.exe

Changing subject and last question for you: I know your are a kind of expert on UAC, SmartScreen etc. But I have Comodo Firewall with CS' settings, and there auto-containment only virtualizes if UAC is disabled (so I disabled). The last two years I have this settings, I tested a lot with tons of updated malwares, pests, phishing etc, and never had a problem, CF/CS blocked everything. But I am not an expert, you are the expert, so please let me exploit the opportunity to ask your opinion: With CF/CS... UAC enabled or disabled? Do you prefer hardening UAC/Windows rather than CF/CS or similar alternatives?

Again, thanks in advance!

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
"Turn off server (LanmanServer) Service" - this one is risky, but can be used temporarily when you are connected to Public Network. Anyway, If you have no issues, then you can keep it.
Personally, on Windows 7 I like both CF/CS and H_C. For many users, CF/CS will be more friendly because of Trusted Vendor List.
On Windows 10, I prefer H_C for compatibility reasons.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
One of the reasons I gave it a shot is I knew I could just re-image. I still may try it again. I almost never need scripts. I figured select all and restore was practical. What would be better is a snapshot so you could restore your pre-Syshardener settings. Which I guess would be the system restore point. Those files get big, though. I agree about using software you don’t understand being unadvisable sometimes. But I understood the default tweaks for the most part, and why the script wouldn’t run. It was the restoring defaults breaking things that surprised me.

I am still surprised that Select All > Restore Selected did not work for you. :unsure: Remember that NVT makes a lot of freeware so expectations for features should be tempered. Andreas changes/fixes what he likes, as it should be, e.g. I think scrolling was jumpy in SH and he may have fixed that.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I am still surprised that Select All > Restore Selected did not work for you. :unsure: Remember that NVT makes a lot of freeware so expectations for features should be tempered. Andreas changes/fixes what he likes, as it should be, e.g. I think scrolling was jumpy in SH and he may have fixed that.

That’s why I’m probably going to give it another shot. I’ll just leave it at default and use OSArmor for all advanced blocking since that is way easier to reverse.

Reactions: oldschool

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
In SysHardener, if you apply the Powershell Constrained language tweak, you won't be sorry. It's an important tweak.
If the user does not use the power shell at all, then what is better - apply the "constrained language" setting or remove this component at all? What consequences can be in that and in another variant?

Reactions: plat and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If the user does not use the power shell at all, then what is better - apply the "constrained language" setting or remove this component at all? What consequences can be in that and in another variant?
You can't really remove Powershell. All you can do is remove the front end for it. Malware knows how to use the underlying components, which cannot be removed from a modern Windows system without crippling it.
That's why it's always a good tweak to apply Constrained Language. This tweak might cause problems in a corporate environment, depending on what scripts the IT admin uses to manage the network, but it won't cause problems in a home environment.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I mean in Syshardener after all these are to harden the system.

You'd have to ask the developer.
OK, maybe Windows Defender Application Guard should go to ConfigureDefender

WD Application Guard is separate from WD and I doubt @Andy Ful would have any reason to include it.

Windows Sandbox (which is useless) and WD Sandbox are two entirely different things. The latter is still an experimental feature, according to M$. This request was already made to Andy recently:

Discuss - Hard_Configurator - Windows Hardening Configurator

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@Andy Ful

Is Windows Defender Application Guard in Syshardener?

How about Windows Sandbox setting?

If no, can they be implemented?

Thanks
I am not a developer of SysHardener. :)

OK, maybe Windows Defender Application Guard should go to ConfigureDefender
WD Application Guard and Windows Sandbox could be added without problems to H_C, but Windows Home edition does not support them, and in my opinion, these features are not finished yet. Furthermore, on the supported Windows editions, both WDAG and WS can be easily installed via Control Panel or PowerShell.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.