System Care Antivirus & password problems

sweets

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
Fiery said:
Are you quite certain if I uninstall Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 that came with this system, my Word files created wont disappear?
I have dozens of files and to send them to USB or memory card individually would be quite tedious. Since I got locked out a couple of weeks ago I did install a separate Microsoft Word file program that doesnt require a license key. I use that program not the original every time I go to Word. So I have two Microsoft Word programs installed. However I'm in fear that if I remove the original Microsoft Office Standard program that came with the computer I might lose my files. Its happened before for other issues. Can I somehow make sure if I delete the original Word Edition that the newly installed Word will work by default ?

What is the version of Microsft Word are you using currently?

Your files won't get deleted but the file associations will change. Your former Word document will become generic files until you install another program to restore the file associations.

Possibly because Im using Windows XP or a dialup connection I dont know if anything can be done about it.

Your computer has just the bare minimum configuration to run windows XP.

Code:
447.48 Mb Total Physical Memory | 184.05 Mb Available Physical Memory | 41.13% Memory free
1.03 Gb Paging File | 0.79 Gb Available in Paging File | 76.38% Paging File free

447MB of memory is no where close to being enough to have a smooth running PC. Perhaps you should consider adding more memory to your PC by buying some memory sticks.

Also you can try increasing your virtual memory to more than 1GB. Try increasing it to 3-5 GB by following the instructions here: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_advancd_perform_change_vmpagefile.mspx?mfr=true

Reply:
Microsoft Office XP Small Busines is the program i installed from a CD I had with my Dell Dimension system. Its the one I use to open and add to my existinfg Word files.
The Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 is the trial version that came installed on this system
Dont want to lose my files...

I tried adding more memory to my Dell Dimension 4550 with Windows XP when it slowed down and said vrtual memory was low but it didnt speed things up. However i will take your advice and see.

Also I will try increasing virtual memory too.

I just thought that the limtations of the system, Windows XP plus the fact that Im using dialup in this hi speed age was the reason for the decline. The computer starts off fine but the longer i remain online the slower it responds and then I here so much noise from the system in the background

You have been most helpful and I will take your advice.

sweets

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
Fiery said:
Are you quite certain if I uninstall Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 that came with this system, my Word files created wont disappear?
I have dozens of files and to send them to USB or memory card individually would be quite tedious. Since I got locked out a couple of weeks ago I did install a separate Microsoft Word file program that doesnt require a license key. I use that program not the original every time I go to Word. So I have two Microsoft Word programs installed. However I'm in fear that if I remove the original Microsoft Office Standard program that came with the computer I might lose my files. Its happened before for other issues. Can I somehow make sure if I delete the original Word Edition that the newly installed Word will work by default ?

What is the version of Microsft Word are you using currently?

Your files won't get deleted but the file associations will change. Your former Word document will become generic files until you install another program to restore the file associations.

Possibly because Im using Windows XP or a dialup connection I dont know if anything can be done about it.

Your computer has just the bare minimum configuration to run windows XP.

Code:
447.48 Mb Total Physical Memory | 184.05 Mb Available Physical Memory | 41.13% Memory free
1.03 Gb Paging File | 0.79 Gb Available in Paging File | 76.38% Paging File free

447MB of memory is no where close to being enough to have a smooth running PC. Perhaps you should consider adding more memory to your PC by buying some memory sticks.

Also you can try increasing your virtual memory to more than 1GB. Try increasing it to 3-5 GB by following the instructions here: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_advancd_perform_change_vmpagefile.mspx?mfr=true

REPLY:

"Also you can try increasing your virtual memory to more than 1GB. Try increasing it to 3-5 GB by following the instructions here: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docum...x?mfr=true "

The paging file parameters are set between 672 MB and 1344 MBs. How would I convert that to 3 GBs low and 5 GBs high ?

Can I try that before adding a memory stick?

Changing the paging file was suggested to me be a friend on my old Dell and he also told me to Defrag several times before changing the paging file, should I do that too, Defrag first ? His parameters were not as great as yours but after adding more memory and changing the paging file, the Dell still moved very slowly from one page to the next just as before.
Thank you

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
You can try defraging your PC but I don't think it will help much. Here is a good one that I use: http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html

The paging file parameters are set between 672 MB and 1344 MBs. How would I convert that to 3 GBs low and 5 GBs high

If you select custom size you should be able to change the minimum and maximum. Just remembered that the max you can set it to is 4096MB.

Page_File.jpg

But With dialup and that little memory, I wouldn't be surprised that your PC runs slowly. My XP machine has 40GB hard drive, 1.5GB memory and it crawls whenever I go online.

Microsoft Office XP Small Busines is the program i installed from a CD I had with my Dell Dimension system. Its the one I use to open and add to my existinfg Word files.
The Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 is the trial version that came installed on this system

I'm 98% sure you won't lose your files. You can google that to confirm.

sweets

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
Fiery said:
You can try defraging your PC but I don't think it will help much. Here is a good one that I use: http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html

The paging file parameters are set between 672 MB and 1344 MBs. How would I convert that to 3 GBs low and 5 GBs high

If you select custom size you should be able to change the minimum and maximum. Just remembered that the max you can set it to is 4096MB.

Page_File.jpg

But With dialup and that little memory, I wouldn't be surprised that your PC runs slowly. My XP machine has 40GB hard drive, 1.5GB memory and it crawls whenever I go online.

I'm 98% sure you won't lose your files. You can google that to confirm.

REPLY:
The paging file parameters are set between 672 MB and 1344
You had said originally change the paging file between 3 and 5 GB if I'm reading you correctly. So what parameters should I change them too?

Are old Windows 98SE computers still workable or would I have just the same problems with one of these older computers as well?

Thank you

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
You can try changing the parameter to:

Initial size: 3000 MB
Maximum size: 4096MB

Are old Windows 98SE computers still workable or would I have just the same problems with one of these older computers as well?

They would probably be just as slow. How much hard drive space and memory does it have?

sweets

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
Fiery said:
You can try changing the parameter to:

Initial size: 3000 MB
Maximum size: 4096MB

They would probably be just as slow. How much hard drive space and memory does it have?

"How much hard drive space and memory does it have?"

I'm not sure but has to be less than my present computers with Windows XP.
Why are older computers slow? Is it because Microsoft wants us to constantly buy new computers and new OS?

Thanks for clarifying parameter settings.

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Why are older computers slow? Is it because Microsoft wants us to constantly buy new computers and new OS?

Older computers usually have less advance technology. As the technology progresses, so does the speed.

sweets

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
Okay I removed Norton AV completely from my computer thanks to the community forum at norton.com. I need a small AV program to guard my system. Avira is very small, just 1.99 MBs however once downloaded to my Desktop its downloading at a very slow 5Kb/sec maximum. At this rate, the it will take 8 hours to load. Can I use an earlier version of Avast (Avast 5) I have on CD, as my AV program?? Thanks

sweets

Thread author
Verified
Jun 25, 2013
sweets said:
Okay I removed Norton AV completely from my computer thanks to the community forum at norton.com. I need a small AV program to guard my system. Avira is very small, just 1.99 MBs however once downloaded to my Desktop its downloading at a very slow 5Kb/sec maximum. At this rate, the it will take 8 hours to load. Can I use an earlier version of Avast (Avast 5) I have on CD, as my AV program?? Thanks

Earlier you said i should update Adobe Reader to a newer version... I have Adobe 10 on CD, should I first uninstall the older version on my computer? Thank you

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Avast 5 is outdated and not supported anymore. If you install that, you will be quickly prompted to install the newest version so you will end up with the latest version.

Avira is probably downloading the virus database, let it download if you are planning to use it.

You can directly update Adobe reader to the newer version, you don't have to uninstall the older version.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.