Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A new trend, which was also pointed out in our Q1 cybercrime report, is the combination of PUPs and Tech Support Scams. Most of these PUPs are so-called system optimizers. This is worrying as the damage done by PUPs was limited or we would have marked them as malware. By adding Tech Support Scams to their portfolio the possible damages have increased considerably.

Read more at System optimizers turning to Tech Support Scams | Malwarebytes

Malwarebytes: How are system optimizers combining the two?

The easiest way to spot this connection is by looking at the use of telephone numbers in the GUI of system optimizers. Get this straight, we’re not saying that every company that does this is actively out to scam its customers, but the increase of telephone numbers on applications that were installed by bundlers has been notable. And, let’s face it: why would I want to call a company that puts their software on my computer without my consent? Oh well, besides to yell at them.

But the people that make those calls in good faith, do end up paying for the potentially unwanted programs and anything else the scammers manage to sell them.

For example when one of our investigators called the number showing on the PUP working under the name “Registry Scanner” which hails from the domain lishbos[.]com –

Registryscanner.png

— he was sold a two-year subscription to a “Gold Offer” from epicsofts[.]com for the amount of $99 and the remote support technician downloaded yet another “System Cleanup” utility to his system.

GoldOffer.png

Of course, that utility turned out to be yet another PUP.

mainw.png

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Game Of Thrones

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2014
How u do it mate. :) I never knowed something like automatic delet temp would exist in Windows. Would be amazing if u can say how u do it. :) would love to use it too.

There is this, but for Internet Explorer only. No one uses IE. :p
View attachment 148175

There is also Automatic Maintenance which keeps Windows 10 running at peak performance.

View attachment 148176

I am not really sure of anything else that @Game Of Thrones may be referring to, apart from CCleaner, but that's a third-party application.

it is an option in latest windows 10(creators update) . its located in = all settings > system > storage there is a section there called storage sense turn it on and windows will erase temp files and recycle bin in a timely manner.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
it is an option in latest windows 10(creators update) . its located in = all settings > system > storage there is a section there called storage sense turn it on and windows will erase temp files and recycle bin in a timely manner.
I remember it being in Windows Phone 8, but didn't expect to see back into Windows 10 desktop.

Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.