Status
Not open for further replies.

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I have been making some safe changes to my services according to black vipers site and everything has been great until I was messing with the system restore settings, I was going to disable it but then I get these errors...
Now i'm pretty sure it's because of me disabing a service but i'm not sure which one :(

SQ5Zb.jpg

7rMtD.jpg

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
It worked, I should have googled first but was on here so I figured I ask you all first :)
Thanks Earth

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Out of curiosity, did you disable any of the RPC, Task Scheduler or any service related to DCOM.

I had that problem since I disabled some services I shouldn't.

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Biozfear said:
Out of curiosity, did you disable any of the RPC, Task Scheduler or any service related to DCOM.

I had that problem since I disabled some services I shouldn't.
Not that I can remember, I used blackvipers site and changed it to his "safe" tweaks

Upvote 0

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Aventador said:
You will gain nothing out of tweaking your services. Back in the XP days it was different.

Indeed,however I must admit that back in the Windows XP days (and 512 MB) I also used to tweak my services.While the performance factor wasn't that important , the experience gained, made this process definitely worth it.
I do remember that at some point I only had like 10 process running while the computer was on Idle......all I can say is that I was very proud of my achievement.

Now MRF,lets restore back your services to the default settings:

1. Download the Windows Repair All in One utility from the below link.
    WINDOWS REPAIR ALL IN ONE DOWNLOAD LINK  (This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download Windows Repair All in One Portable version)
  2. Double-click tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio.zip and extract the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder to your desktop.
  3. Now open this folder and double-click Repair_Windows.exe
  4. Click the Start Repairs tab on the far right.
  5. Click the Start button (bottom right)
    Note: When asked if you would like to create a restore point. It is recommended just in-case something does not go as planned.
  6. Click Unselect All
  7. Put a checkmark in the following items:
    Set Windows Services To Default Startup
    *Note: Leave everything else unchecked
  8. Put a checkmark in Restart System When Finished
  9. Now click the Start button (bottom right)

Upvote 0

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
So very true Jack. If you feel the need to tweak your services to make your pc run faster then maybe you should have bought a faster pc to begin with.

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I appreciate the info Jack and Aventador but I have less process's running which is a + and I do feel a slight difference from now and before I tweaked the services which wasn't too drastic to begin with (black viper's safe tweaks), so other than this issue (if it was because of disabing a service which i'm still not sure of) I have no other problems so far and I can always use my backup image to restore my OS, but I doubt i'll have to because I was very careful.
I will save this thread for any future issues. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.