Solved System Restore Points help

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
Today, out of nowhere while I was on youtube I got a BSoD. I thought it was weird since memory dump wasn't created.

Needless to say my last image backup is dated a few months so I decided to back up my files first and before attempting an image restore, perhaps use the system restore, which I know I created a couple of days ago and it was still there yesterday. To my surprise its gone...

I have checked on eventviewer and VSS logs show that there were problems.

Now, any solutions?

I am about to restore my OS image anyway so thats about 2 hours and a half bored to death staring at a screen so I will probably use the other laptop to check here.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit:
Here is the VSS logs:
Code:
The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout.

Code:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process. 

Operation:
   Gathering Writer Data

Context:
   Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
   Writer Name: System Writer
   Writer Instance ID: {61537496-2579-432c-989c-e9a71552ccd0}

Would Puran Defrag be the issue? It better not be otherwise I suppose I got to return to PD.

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Hi Biozfear,

I don't know if the info on this page is the same problem you are dealing with but if so there is a solution there for it. Good luck.

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
Heya ZeroDay, that is one page I didnt see on google.
Honestly don't know exactly.
VSS serivice is set to manual but its not started.
Puran Defrag service is disabled and should not start anyway.
Could it be VMware?
I can't think of any tools using VSS.
did run the VSSadmin etc but nothing out of ordinary.

Upvote 0

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
One way to find out if it's VMware, disable it. Could be also having Game Booster on, (might not be but...).

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
Narrowed down to 2 tools:
Puran Defrag since I used default settings and these dont protect the VSS section, for SSR missing
VMware for service not starting

Any other ideas?
Tolls are the ones in my config.

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
yep. I am.

Time to restore another image and give PD a go. another 2 and a half hours to wait

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
Pointing the gun at puran's default settings. Yet I am also to blame since I didn't think it would affect the VSS in its default settings

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
umbrapolaris said:
Biozfear said:
Time to restore another image and give PD a go.

Perfect Disk? rather use Iobit Smart Defrag.

Does it have VSS protection support?

Edit: Can't find any info about this on the page

Also, is VSS supposed to be set as automatic if I wish to have restore points from Windows?
At the moment is set as manual.

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
Without having Puran or VMware installed, had a few restore points set due to uninstall of specific software and after several reboots, they are still there.

Trying to recreate the issue ain't easy

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
Ok, after months and months of no issues, on several clean windows 7 64bit HP and Ultimate on different drives, I still notice SRPs disappearing whilst pc on idle or upon restart.

VSS and Windows Backup services are set to automatic.

Allocation ranges between 8 to 15% (depending on the machine), while the size goes from 50GB to 80GB.

no errors on HDD nor scannow command reported any issues.

Event viewer does not show any errors either.

Googling System Restore points deleted in windows 7, I ain't the only one with the issue.

Several fixes have been written on the net yet none really seem to work.

Following images and systems were used: Windows 7 HP, HP SP1, Ult, Ult SP1. All done outside VM and with and without any programs installed.

It is just random. Although I am beginning to think that SR from windows 7 is just not reliable at all, I do wish to have this working properly.

In a nutshell I tried:
*Increasing VSS size via CMD
*Turn off System Restore Points, Restart and turn it back on
*Scannow and then chkdsk /r commands
*Disable SR tasks from Task Scheduler
*Completely delete Pagefile and Hibernation files
*Tried running windows repair via console and no errors

Any ideas?

Edit: Finally think I managed to fix it. Will create a new thread with How To. Just need to double check something.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.