System Security 2012 rogue - computer will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

panther421

Thread author
Nov 8, 2011
I seem to be stuck as to what is next. If anyone could offer suggestions on what i could try next, please do so.

I am hoping for a good boot disk recommendation, so that I can save files from the hard drive before reinstalling windows, if that is what I will have to do to get the system operational again.

Thanks.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
If your getting a BSOD prior to loading Windows then you are not looking at an infection. That could be hardware related or possibly a corrupt boot.ini file. You most likely got infected cause you have real time antivirus. What kind of pc is this? Most pc's have a recovery partition to boot into. If you cannot even boot into safe mode and you tried to repair Windows then most likely you will need to reformat. But even a reformat might not fix it if you have a hardware issue.Your best bet is to mount your recovery partition, if you have one and go from there. 3rd party boot disks cannot repair Windows. They are made to remove malware. You can try the Kaspersky Boot CD.

D

Deleted member 178

did you use your Windows installation disc?

Ultimate Boot CD is a good multi-function recovery disk ( http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ )

Hiren boot CD is another one too ( http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd) download there : http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

panther421

Thread author
Nov 8, 2011
It is a Gateway computer, I'm at work now, so can't give more specific details on it. I don't recall seeing a recovery partition. I do have installation cd's for it, but hate to use them before trying to salvage some of my files on the drive, if that is possible at this point.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Ok so there is no point in continuing till your are at home. Backing up your important documents and pictures to either the cloud or an external hard drive is a must for EVERY pc owner. If its a newer Gateway then you have a recovery partition you can mount up. Some recovery partitions give you the option to re-install your OS without loosing your data. Hopefully that's your case. If not the try the Kaspersky Rescue CD. If that works then you can backup anything you need to a usb drive and then mount your recovery partition. Instructions on how to boot into your recovery partition can be found with your owner documentation or on Gateway's web site. Unfortunately when your OS is corrupt sometimes reformatting is your only choice. But then again it maybe a hardware issue especially if a boot cd such as Kaspersky's will not work.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Certain types of malware can infect or corrupt your Master Boot Record file, causing your computer to refuse to boot. If this has happened to your computer, you can fix the Master Boot Record through a program on your Windows Vista installation CD

How to fix your MBR:
  1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
  2. Press a key when you are prompted.
  3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
  4. Click Repair your computer.
  5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
  6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
    Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.
  7. Now if it's the MBR you'll you'll need to type
    Code:
    bootrec.exe /fixmbr

Other commands that might help you :

bootrec.exe /fixmbr - The /FixMbr option writes a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove non-standard code from the MBR.

bootrec.exe /fixboot - The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:
The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista or Windows 7 boot sector.
The boot sector is damaged.
An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista or Windows 7 was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd - The /RebuildBcd option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option lets you select the installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when you must completely rebuild the BCD.

Related video :

Last edited:

panther421

Thread author
Nov 8, 2011
Great ideas. Thanks to you all. I was at a loss as to what steps to try and you guys have given me some hope.

I will try what Jack suggested first, and if that doesn't work, then try the Kaspersky disk. I will post my results later today.

D

Deleted member 178

I add the download link of Hiren Boot CD, in case of Jack's solution don't work. You have inside many MBR fixing tools.

panther421

Thread author
Nov 8, 2011
I'm at home for a few hours and am trying the suggestions to try and repair my computer.

The computer is a Gateway DX4800-o5e
Pentium dual core processor E5200
Vista Home Premium system

I found the installation disks I had received from MS and ran into some differences from what I hoped it would look like. When I got to the screen where the operating system should be listed, it was not. Nothing was listed. I clicked on the proceed button anyway and came to the system recovery menu.

I tried Startup repair -- failed.
I went to the command prompt and had the video Jack linked to running (on another computer). I entered the first couple of commands, and it seemed to be working. Then when I tried to enter the bcdedit string and hit return, the command failed. I think due to the system not being recognized on the earlier screen.

I tried running the windows memory diagnostic tool tool an this message displays:

A problem is preventing windows from checking for memory problems during startup. Try to check for problems again by running the tool manually.

This didn't seem to be getting anywhere, so I tried Kaspersky rescue disk 10. I'm in the middle of running the scan, doing disk boot sectors, hidden startup objects, and C:
It looks like this is going to take a while, and I have to return to work for the evening here.

When the bcd command failed and i couldn't go further with that mbr repair attempt, I think it looks bad now. I tried the Hirens disk as well, and was able to see that the files on my C: drive are accessible. I may just salvage my files and reinstall windows at this point, unless the Kaspersky scan detects further signs of the rogue program.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Use the Kaspersky CD to boot. Then backup what you need onto a usb drive. Wipe your hard disk completely with dBan then re-install Vista. This also might be a great time to upgrade to Windows 7 rather then installing Vista. Have you tried pressing F11 upon boot which allows you into the recovery partition? You can spend hours upon hours trying to repair this but its faster and easier to wipe the drive clean. Keep in mind you still may have a hardware issue.

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/DX/DX4800/DX4800nv.shtml

http://www.dban.org/

panther421

Thread author
Nov 8, 2011
I have not tried F11, and while in Kaspersky I did notice a recovery partition on my C:. That may be the last attempt I'll make a salvaging this system, if that does't work, then I will purchase W7. I think I've had enough of vista. Thanks Maximus.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Vista is garbage but if you can mount your recovery partition after retrieving your old data then do it. If everything fails then buy Windows 7 and start fresh. Your welcome.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
panther421 said:
I have not tried F11, and while in Kaspersky I did notice a recovery partition on my C:. That may be the last attempt I'll make a salvaging this system, if that does't work, then I will purchase W7. I think I've had enough of vista. Thanks Maximus.

I had Vista on my ex (laptop of course ^^) and that was terrible. Re-installation after another due to unstable system and crashes. If I didn't have an external usb, where all the necessary drivers was, I would have a Vista laptop just laying there with no functionality (more or less of course).

Ever since I installed Windows 7, my ex (laptop of course ^^) it's working good and very happy. Win7 will be good investment. Windows 7 pro is what I recommend since you can install software that was designed for Vista or older. It does work (at least for me)

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
You can find a list of Rescue CDs here: http://www.askvg.com/download-free-bootable-rescue-cds-from-kaspersky-bitdefender-avira-f-secure-and-others/

panther421

Thread author
Nov 8, 2011
To end this saga: I purchased Win 7 upgrade, used Kaspersky boot disk to see and copy/paste important files from the infected drive, then used the gateway system restore disks to reinstall vista. I had forgotten how horrible unmodified vista is!!! It really seems itself to be a virus! :)

After vista finally installed, then I installed Win 7, did the custom option to do full install, wiping out vista for good (hopefully). What a difference! No annoying crapware programs, just a clean desktop. Total time spent was about 6 hours, I had a lot of files to salvage from the drive, which took quite a while.

New program installation will begin with security programs recommended on this site. Thanks again for all the help, I guess the rogue program corrupted my boot files, but I was long overdue moving to W7, so it worked out for the best.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Really sorry that we couldn't help you more but now that you have a fresh start please properly secure your system... Don't be a victim again!
You can build up your malware defenses with our help, just start a thread in this forum : http://malwaretips.com/Forum-Security-Configuration-Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.