VM Windows (analyse malware):
PEID
PEstudio
Process Monitor
Regshot
ApateDNS

VM Ubuntu Server (simulate fake network):
Inetsim

Above are my environment set up to start up my malware / ransomware analysis.
I m a beginner in malware analysis. Is there anything that I need to improve or fix in the set up?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well considering the fact you are in Mac OS X then you are already safe for majority of malware attacks except if you download some suspicious .dmg files which you need to be vigilant.

Also prior on the establishment of virtual machine, then make sure that the connection is isolated (using NAT) to avoid any worms jump on the network.

thea30

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 1, 2017
sorry guys, i got one more question .
May i know how to get the active malware samples?

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
sorry guys, i got one more question .
May i know how to get the active malware samples?
You need to have 100 posts (prefer quality) at MT to get access to the malware samples posted at the Malware Vault.
Till then, you can study and discuss at the Malware Analysis section, which I believe you are already aware of, by now.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Hello, about malware analysis and reverse engineering relatively to .NET platform, I'd like to suggest to you ILSpy, a powerful tool to decompile any (non-obfuscated) malware wrote in.NET.
It can open any executable compiled with the framework by showing you a very good approximation of the original source in C# and VB.

Reactions: frogboy and Parsh
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.