Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Periodic malware scanners
None (I do not have time for nonsense)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Yandex Browser with Protect, it includes protected mode (enables a strict check of certificates and disables the extensions)

AdGuard AdBlocker (protects your privacy by blocking common third-party tracking systems)
Bitwarden (a secure and free password manager for all of your devices)
Cache Killer (clears the browser cache automatically on opening a new tab or refreshing a tab)
Cookie AutoDelete (auto-delete unused cookies from closed tabs while keeping the ones you want)
Magic Enhancer For YouTube (Auto YouTube HD and video AD blocking)
Selection Search (use the right-click menu to search for selected text in any search engines)
Maintenance tools
File and Photo backup
Copy/Paste - automatic backups deleted my files, twice, I will not fall for that scam again.
I backup non-essential files to the second PC and to Icedrive, the rest wherever I can.
System recovery
None - I can restore Windows within an hour, so no need to waste the time and resources.
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup configuration does not have a backup plan. We strongly recommend to add a backup solution for your data so that you can restore it in the case of an emergency.
    Backing up allows the recovery of data that has been lost due of a malware attack (eg. ransomware) or a hard disk crash. In such events you might lose family photos, your music collection, documents, or financial data. Backups are fast and simple to perform so it should be done on a regular basis.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Latest: Testing blocking port 80 within the browser. It blocks most malware/phishing links, not to mention ads, privacy and security.

Anti-malware tests regularly confirms, that 99% of infections come via an email (65%) or via a browser (35%).
I open emails in text and the browser is well protected. I can not use smartscreen, since it blocks my files.
AV is out of question. Besides, I test various AVs sometimes and I prefer real system testing over VM.

Windows Defender Firewall is set to block inbound/outbound, no Windows processes are allowed, only during updates.
Removed SearchUI.exe, SystemApps & Powershell. UAC with a password. "ValidateAdminCodeSignatures" is ON.
Disabled IPv6, Task Scheduler, WMI, WSH, almost all services, all Windows features, except NET Framework.

I turn off PC with Wise Cleaners + tweaks, to remove startup entries/IFEO and to restore my settings.
Anti-ransomware - backup partition - denied access to SYSTEM, Users permissions set to read only.
Windows Updates - I update shortly after release, but when I want to, not when Windows decides to.

When I really need to run some unknown exe, I check it via VirusTotal, just like PH does all the time.
I use PatchMyPC/DriverEasy to keep software/drivers updated + Softpedia's Notifier for the rest.
Windows Repair Toolbox (+Malware Removal) + custom tools, take care of basic necessitates.

Windows has 35 processes running and uses ~900MB at startup (+1GB committed, +2GB used by RAMDisk)
There is zero disk and network activity, but I would still love to disable network store interface and base filtering.

I am considering those AVs (in this order):
Panda - virtually no performance impact, but too many processes
Immunet - a nice GUI, working cloud community, only 2 processes

Please do not recommend following products:
Avira, BD, Windows Defender - hardware killers
Avast, AVG, Comodo, ZoneAlarm - cause BSOD
Nano AV, Tencent PC Manager - slow servers/updates
KFA is a junkware with telemetry, KSC is picky about users

CrowdStrike, ESET, Symantec have $$$ and also score well in test labs
Malwarebytes - it is a dead product to me, just like Spybot, SuperAntispyware

Attachments

• capture_01052019_002256.jpg
    capture_01052019_002256.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 464
  • capture_07012019_135018.jpg
    capture_07012019_135018.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 328
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 363
  • capture_08182019_214115.jpg
    capture_08182019_214115.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 323
  • capture_09062019_082021.jpg
    capture_09062019_082021.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Still can not decide about web protection between: K9 vs Forticlient vs Emsisoft, they all offer the same level of protection.
I chose K9 at the moment, because of web filtering and it works system wide, not sure if Forticlient's web filter does the same?

EDIT: The only problem is privacy, Emsisoft sends hashes, K9 and FC send URLs unencrypted. Then again, I access naughty webpages via TOR.

Thinking about Forticlient, Immunet, Panda, because 3rd party AV can slightly improve performance. It caches/moves file operations from disk to RAM. Cloud AVs are lighter.
Reference: Video - Is Windows Defender actually heavier than other Antivirus? [TPSC]

EDIT: OK, it seems, that 3rd party AV has no measurable performance impact on my system, though BD, Forticlient and WD slow down boot noticeably (BD/WD considerably).

Attachments

• capture_01062019_152718.jpg
    capture_01062019_152718.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 459
  • capture_01062019_154246.jpg
    capture_01062019_154246.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 461
  • capture_01062019_155849.jpg
    capture_01062019_155849.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 455
  • capture_01062019_164053.jpg
    capture_01062019_164053.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 384
  • capture_12292018_193802.jpg
    capture_12292018_193802.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
The first defense must be the browser, if you use Chrome with the right extensions and SBIE you are 90 % good to go.

Reactions: TRS-80

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
However you can add exclusions to Smartscreen: How To Whitelist Apps In The SmartScreen On Windows 10
SmartScreen ignores them. It seems, that it evaluates per command basis, every time the file touches something it should not, it raises an alert.

Besides, I could not get SmartScreen working, even if I wanted too, it demands too much, just like Windows Defender. I prefer standalone apps, like SecureAPlus for a cloud evaluation, since the more dependent they are on the system, the easier they can be disabled by a hacker/malware.

EDIT: I had to abandon K9. It works very well, but it refuses to save config and ignores HTTPS exclusions. Until they update GUI, back to Emsisoft.

EDIT 2: I have also installed Panda and I have decided to keep it, for the time being. It is super light and quiet, I have killed the GUI. I used it before, mostly because I loved the cute systray icon. Yes, I used it for that reason alone, I would buy the paid version, if I could get that icon back.

EDIT 3: I am also testing EaseUS Todo Backup, not sure how to set it up, never really used a backup before. Rollback, Aomei, Macrium failed me.

EDIT 4: Hahaha. When I copy/paste my browser, I can use use it even after a clean install, all logins/extensions, everything is setup. When I restored it using the backup software, nothing worked, extensions were broken, could not be even reinstalled, so much for the all mighty backup.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Unfortunately, Brain.exe won't save you against what you don't know.
OK, with the heavy hearth, I have decided to keep Panda, sort of as a backup. It has zero performance impact (CPU Time is comparable to Setpoint), just the idea of running AV is slightly bothersome to me (after years of no AV), but I have disabled its GUI, so I will not even notice it. An interesting observation, I recall someone mentioning scanning after a download: It blocked some downloaded malware automatically, but not all, after a manual scan, it removed the rest and upon re-download, they were deleted automatically as well. So the could seems to be working well, it should be a fine replacement for broken smartscreen. As for a backup, until I find one working for my customized Windows, I will give it a rest. :geek:

Attachments

• capture_01092019_111534.jpg
    capture_01092019_111534.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I really dislike 3rd party apps, not just because they increase the attack surface. I tried SRP and it gave too much of a headache. Since I use commands to change system settings (like startup entries/Winlogon), they got blocked sometimes and even bricked my system as the result.

EDIT: Testing RollBack Rx Home again. Last time I used version 10 and 11 was recently released, so maybe it will work better, like no BSOD. :whistle:

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Removed Panda - it slowed down running my commands, loading webpages and system felt sluggish overall. :(
Removed RollBack Rx - I do not like hidden partitions, inability to actually backup backups and it also blocked defrag.

Trying EaseUS Todo again. Automatic backup does not work, I have to remember to keep doing it manually and test its effectiveness eventually.
Changed UltraDNS Threat to UltraDNS Business Secure, it blocks proxy and such, so it should block some malware trying to download a payload.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@TairikuOkami !

I would suggest using Macrium Reflect friend! Link: Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

If you find you like Macrium Reflect I would suggest looking at viBoot Link: Macrium Software | Macrium viBoot

Those two combined are really cool!

Another good recommendation would be to look at AOMEI Backupper Standard (Free)! Link: Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP

I use the professional grade AOMEI Backupper, but I started off with the free version first. Gotta weigh if you want the professional features or not.

Be forewarned: I crashed and burned with EaseUS ToDo a long time ago.... and it has since left a bade taste that I will never ever forget. Hence the reason why I have three backup tools now - got burned once and will never happen again!!

I without a doubt here you on the RollBack Rx. A lot of my friends are having issues with the program right now... I have seen a lot of folks on MT say goodby to the program for now or competently due to various issues as you have described.

Side note: wondered why you weren't called out for a lot of extensions on your web browser?! LOL Mine did... and I didn't think I had even 1/3 of yours. haha!

~Brian

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Side note: wondered why you weren't called out for a lot of extensions on your web browser?!
I like to keep extensions to the minimum, but they piled up. I can not imagine parting with any of them.
"Context Menu Search" is outdated and probably malicious (it reads history for no reason), but I need it.

I would suggest using Macrium Reflect friend!
Another good recommendation would be to look at AOMEI Backupper Standard (Free)!
Thanks, I have tried both, but both failed. I would not mind using a backup, but I have yet to find one, that would work on my system (scripting disabled, etc). Thus far it seems, there are only 4 in the world. Maybe there are some less known, but I have not had much luck finding them.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
It just says fail. If a backup software fails to even create a backup, how can I trust it? I have zero patience for such an incompetence.

Attachments

• capture_01132019_175610.jpg
    capture_01132019_175610.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 428

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Thanks, I have tried both, but both failed. I would not mind using a backup, but I have yet to find one, that would work on my system (scripting disabled, etc). Thus far it seems, there are only 4 in the world. Maybe there are some less known, but I have not had much luck finding them.
What programs didn't work?

Reactions: TRS-80

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.