TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
This morning, a Facebook user alerted me about a possible security problem about VoodooShield free, because parent process is on by default. This was made using WinRAR. Since it's a popular software, I decided to share the results with you. This could be a huge problem, since most of the ransomware is usually delivered by email, using Archives, and a lot of people use WinRAR
Steps done in the test:
1) installed winrar
2)installed VoodooShield on Autopilot
3) tested VoodooShield against CDBurnerXP, using the version bundled with adware

Here are the results:

1) I launched the main EXE to check is VoodooShield was working, and it blocked it successfully
case1.PNG
2) I created a WinRAR archive and run the file directly inside the archive, exactly how a beginner would do and... No alerts!
case2.PNG
3) I created a zip archive, then removed WinRAR and tried to open it with the default Windows option. Blocked
case3.PNG

Let me known your thoughts. Regards,
TheMalwareMaster

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
It's not a bypass. It's known fact on how VS works and we talked about it a millions times. You have whitelist by parent on. Winrar is whitelisted, when you double click on the program within a rar it launches as child so it automatically gets whitelisted. It runs, the end.
Go in settings and change the mentioned setting if you don't want it to act like this.

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I expressed myself badly. Yeah, it's not a bypass, but it can be risky using VS free, if running WinRAR
But it's not just winrar. If malware that force legit application to launch them are a thing again it will be worse. That setting in VS needs to be off by default and maybe Dan will do it one day.
He probably doesn't atm to minimize alerts.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I have notified Dan about this workaround and he confirmed that this will be fixed in the next version (exclude the .rar extension from the parent process feature). He will also investigate other compression filetypes
Thanks a lot for you help. He said the issue will be fixed. The irony is that I can't still post on that forum for no reason VoodooShield ?

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I have notified Dan about this workaround and he confirmed that this will be fixed in the next version (exclude the .rar extension from the parent process feature). He will also investigate other compression filetypes
If I understand correctly this involves parent/child relationship. The zip archive created for step 3 (in OP) would have done the same had WinRAR been used to open the zip. This is about excluding "safe" apps from the parent/child inheritance.

Excluding the *.rar extension is just treating the symptoms. Either uncheck the parent/child option or else create an exclusion feature for that option. I'm sure Dan will figure out an even better solution once he's had time to soak on it.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
If I understand correctly this involves parent/child relationship. The zip archive created for step 3 (in OP) would have done the same had WinRAR been used to open the zip. This is about excluding "safe" apps from the parent/child inheritance.

Excluding the *.rar extension is just treating the symptoms. Either uncheck the parent/child option or else create an exclusion feature for that option. I'm sure Dan will figure out an even better solution once he's had time to soak on it.
Archives should never be considered as applications in case of whitelisting.

reboot

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2017
It's not a bypass. It's known fact on how VS works and we talked about it a millions times. You have whitelist by parent on. Winrar is whitelisted, when you double click on the program within a rar it launches as child so it automatically gets whitelisted. It runs, the end.
Go in settings and change the mentioned setting if you don't want it to act like this.

So as an example (and for clarification) one could be using a download manager like IDM and strike the same problem. It is not just archive software.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913

reboot

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2017
It applies only for programs that are trusted that execute another program as a child process.

Sorry in the example I gave I assumed that IDM was trusted. If I execute a program within or with IDM could one consider that to be a child process?

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.