Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yes, just go to Microsoft group in Trusted, and check... .exe .dll .com .bat .msc etc. even .cpl and .tmp could appear...
where do you find the place where file types are shown?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
You can enable in columns, more fields to show:
JloVN75.png

Also, you can find via Search in top right, just typing exe bat dll and so on...

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
thanks harlan, I see it now.

My question was a little different. I meant to ask like this: if you set the unknown apps to be high restricted, does that protect you also from bat and dll etc, or does it only protect you from exe?

Reactions: harlan4096

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Of course, since all those types of files than can be executed are categorized by Application Control :)

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Of course, since all those types of files than can be executed are categorized by Application Control :)
very good. In that case, Application Control at high settings can be very effective protection.

Reactions: harlan4096

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
@harlan4096
Maybe the reason why you don't experience slow startup of some programs when TAM is enabled is because you only have popular programs installed.
Can you test Pale Moon? Install it, and let it stay for several days, opening it from time to time.
The slow startup isn't consistent. Sometimes, startup is fast. Sometimes, very slow (i.e. 30 or more seconds before being opened successfully).

@shmu26
Do you have any other security software installed?
I ask this because it is possible that the slow startup is because of a conflict with other security software.
I have other security software installed.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@harlan4096
Maybe the reason why you don't experience slow startup of some programs when TAM is enabled is because you only have popular programs installed.
Can you test Pale Moon? Install it, and let it stay for several days, opening it from time to time.
The slow startup isn't consistent. Sometimes, startup is fast. Sometimes, very slow (i.e. 30 or more seconds before being opened successfully).

@shmu26
I ask this because it is possible that the slow startup is because of a conflict with other security software.
I have no other security softs.

Reactions: XhenEd

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@harlan4096

@shmu26
I agree that the problem is most severe with the lesser known applications. I had severe delays with AIMP music player, and with Process Hacker (it is sort of like windows task manager). It was a persistent problem, i.e., it was not just at the first time I executed the program. It repeated itself after every reboot.

Reactions: XhenEd

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I agree that the problem is most severe with the lesser known applications. I had severe delays with AIMP music player, and with Process Hacker (it is sort of like windows task manager). It was a persistent problem, i.e., it was not just at the first time I executed the program. It repeated itself after every reboot.
Go into "manage applications", and find the program, and open its tab, and under exclusions, select "do not scan files before opening". That seems to have fixed it for me, with AIMP music player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.