New Update Tasks - Lightweight Computer Optimizer

byronbytes

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 30, 2022
Hello, this post is about Tasks, a completely free, lightweight, and open source computer optimizer. We're always looking for ways to improve, so ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

What is Tasks?
Tasks is an application that improves computer performance. Tasks's main features include an advanced cleanup tool, a startup manager, and a detailed Task Manager. These tools help improve computer performance, system boot times, and ensures a safer experience while using your computer. We aim to make a lightweight, free, intuitive and responsive cleaning tool. We believe that computer performance is crucial to everyone and should not include any hidden paywalls inside the application. Our goal is to make a tool that anyone can use from anywhere.

What makes this computer optimizer different from others?
This computer optimizer has features that may not have been seen in other optimizers, such as a way to remove extensions in 3+ supported browsers (Edge, Firefox, Chrome), a way to quickly clean your computer with one click, and much more. We are always listening to the community on feedback and we are always on top of bug reports when there are any. We also make sure our versions are produced with care and effort!

Features​

• Cleanup:
    • Quick Clean to help optimize folders that get filled fast.
    • Extension removal tool to remove malicious or unwanted extensions. (Supports Edge, Chrome, and Firefox)
    • Advanced cleaning tool that helps with computer performance.
    • Diverse support for multiple applications and browsers and unneeded system cache. (Chrome, Discord, Temp, and more.)
  • Startup Manager:
    • View detailed information about programs that run on start. (Name, Description, Directory)
    • Create new programs that run on start.
    • Remove malicious programs that run on start with one click.
    • View detailed information about services that run on start. (Name, Service, Stopped or Running)
    • Open the startup folder with one click.
    • Clean and understandable interface to see all startup processes and services.
  • Task Manager:
    • Advanced task manager with more details. (Name, PID, CPU Usage, Directory)
    • Create new tasks easily with a familiar interface.
    • Quickly end tasks with one button.
    • Refresh Task Manager with one button.
    • Clean and understandable interface to see running processes.
  • Settings:
    • Ability to change the theme of Tasks. (Dark / Light Mode)
    • View and delete Cleanup Summaries that Tasks created.
    • Toggle the ability to turn on or off cleanup logs.
    • Change general settings about Tasks.

Links:
GitHub Repository: GitHub - LiteTools/Tasks: Tasks is an application that optimizes computer performance. Tasks improves performance, system boot times, and ensures a safer experience while using your computer.

Nothing to see here yet, this will be updated when new releases are released.

Last edited by a moderator:

byronbytes

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 30, 2022
Version 4.0.0 has released!

Over 50+ improvements have been implemented, so check it out and report issues on the GitHub if you find any!

byronbytes

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 30, 2022
I do not know where to put this, but we are looking for people to report bugs, features, and suggestions.
I am looking for the future of Tasks and it has been slowly declining in popularity, and I'm looking for something that makes everyones experiences easier and better.
v4.1.0 will include all changes and fixes that are suggested, so drop some suggestions down here or in the issues tab of the git repository.

I Walk MY Way

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 27, 2013
I have used Tasks I did not like it, u might want to look at other programs and how they work and look. two programs u should check out are , HiBit Uninstaller and PrivaZer check out the GUI and how they work ..

byronbytes

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 30, 2022
I have used Tasks I did not like it, u might want to look at other programs and how they work and look. two programs u should check out are , HiBit Uninstaller and PrivaZer check out the GUI and how they work ..
I definitely will, thank you for the feedback. It helps me greatly so I can build up on the application.

Reactions: [correlate]

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Some tips/suggestions:

* CleanUp: add an option to manually select/delete the files, also show the source where they were found.

* Improve general visual presentation of the product.

* Task Manager: You may add an option to re-order the processes depending on the columns items.

* Task Manager: add new columns items to show additional info about every process.

* Task Manager: when reading the processes, there is "an annoying flickering effect".

* StartUp Programs: there is “a problem” here, since it shows all the supposed items in StartUp, but it does not show if They are enabled or not. In my system appears many items that indeed are there, but some are enabled and other not. As an example, see Kaspersky Plus similar feature or Windows 10, compared to yours:
1651994348651.png1651994493189.png

1651994394872.png

Last edited:

byronbytes

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 30, 2022
Some tips/suggestions:

* CleanUp: add an option to manually select/delete the files, also show the source where they were found.

* Task Manager: You may add an option to re-order the processes depending on the columns items.

* Task Manager: add new columns items to show additional info about every process.

* Task Manager: when reading the processes, there is "an annoying flickering effect".

* StartUp Programs: there is “a problem” here, since it shows all the supposed items in StartUp, but it does not show if They are enabled or not. In my system appears many items that indeed are there, but some are enabled and other not. As an example, see Kaspersky Plus similar feature or Windows 10, compared to yours:
Thank you for these suggestions, I will put them on a project to-do list on the repository and will get onto it shortly. I believe these features would greatly benefit for the future of Tasks and will be added in the next update.

Also I am aware of that flicker effect for the Task Manager, it had always been a buggy feature ever since the start (lol).

byronbytes

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 30, 2022
I have just released the first preview of v5.0.0. This update starts the rebase and rebuild of Tasks and instead of releasing everything in one update, every section of the application will be getting it's own release. For example pre-release #2 will be startup program improvements, etc, etc.

I tried to add the most crucial Cleanup functions in this version, and I am looking for feedback on certain features. For logging cleanups, where should the file be saved to? Should sidebar theme be removed? Any suggestions and feature feedback is appreciated.

Release Version 5.0.0 Preview 1 · LiteTools/Tasks

(I have started to work on both of these, albeit the cleanup prototype that is somewhat incomplete and showing the source will be coming soon which will probably release in said hotfix)

I know it's been a few month since the last update but it has been due to motivation and other stuff in the way. I'm not the best at programming, but this is a learning experience.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I got this detection in my K. Plus 2021MR8 beta, when I 1st executed that new version:

Event: Access denied
User type: Initiator
Application name: Tasks.exe
Application path: D:\xxxxxxxxxx\xxxxxx\Tasks.v5.0.0-Pre1
Component: Safe Browsing
Result description: Blocked
Type: Malicious link
Name: https : // pastebin . com / raw / 02qyhKX7
Precision: Exactly
Threat level: High
Object type: Web page
Object name: 02qyhKX7
Reason: Cloud Protection

I've already reported it, to check if False Positive or...

Also got this:

1663317679090.png

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Ok, got final verdict from Kaspersky:

Hello,

Sorry, it was a false detection. It will be fixed.
Thank you for your help.

Best regards, R. Malware Analyst, Kaspersky Lab
39A/3 Leningradskoe Shosse, Moscow, 125212, Russia Tel./Fax: + 7 (495) 797 8700 Kaspersky Cyber Security Solutions for Home & Business | Kaspersky Securelist | Kaspersky’s threat research and reports
Kaspersky Threat Intelligence Portal - get insights about suspicious files, hashes, URLs, IP addresses or domain names

byronbytes

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 30, 2022
I got this detection in my K. Plus 2021MR8 beta, when I 1st executed that new version:

I've already reported it, to check if False Positive or...

Also got this:

View attachment 269386
Oh that's right!
I checked what the malicious link was, and that's just used for the update checker. What it does is checks online if the string matches the current version inside the application, and if it's not equal it gives an update prompt. I should improve this system and make it better so it doesn't flag any antiviruses by accident. You can also go to the pastebin link to see that it is just a simple string (and since it's open source you can check there too)

Last edited:

byronbytes

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 30, 2022
I feel like it is appropriate to post updates here about the current state of Tasks.
Currently one of the methods that I used to try to patch the false-positive has flagged more antiviruses with a check on VirusTotal, and I am still finding a way to download global text and check it via code. Tasks is and will always be 100% safe.
If I wanted to get technological, I would guess it flags antiviruses due to it "downloading" the string from a pastebin link and getting the response to it, which is similar to how most cloud-viruses work when they download payloads, and since pastebin is the most commonly used for downloading links like that.

I will release revisions that try to fix this crucial issue, as it is on the top of my priorities.

byronbytes

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 30, 2022

This release should have fixed most of the antivirus issues

.zip File: VirusTotal
.exe File: VirusTotal

I also changed some compilation settings and did publishing so I could trim down on all the dependencies needed in the folder and mushed (most of) them all into the .exe

byronbytes

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 30, 2022
Sorry if this counts as potentially "bumping" the thread; I use this thread for general feedback and update releases since making a new one would be redundant.

check out the GUI and how they work ..

Improve general visual presentation of the product.
I have heard your concerns and I have started a secondary branch for UI overhauls and tweaks. Here is what the main menu looks like now. (When you hover over the buttons they will show a tooltip.) I also sent a picture of the settings menu so you can get a feel for the new color palette.

Anything I should change / improve on? Color adjustments? Accessibility Tweaks? Feedback would be appreciated.
1665710369856.png

1665710415932.png

Last edited by a moderator:

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Sorry if this counts as potentially "bumping" the thread; I use this thread for general feedback and update releases since making a new one would be redundant.

I have heard your concerns and I have started a secondary branch for UI overhauls and tweaks. Here is what the main menu looks like now. (When you hover over the buttons they will show a tooltip.) I also sent a picture of the settings menu so you can get a feel for the new color palette.

Anything I should change / improve on? Color adjustments? Accessibility Tweaks? Feedback would be appreciated.

View attachment 270002

View attachment 270003
I haven't downloaded it, but it would be nicer looking and also easier to navigate if you can put title for each of the irons, and make the dark blue area longer ( Like make clickable part bigger )

Reactions: byronbytes

byronbytes

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 30, 2022
I haven't downloaded it, but it would be nicer looking and also easier to navigate if you can put title for each of the irons, and make the dark blue area longer ( Like make clickable part bigger )
So something along the lines of this? (The button would also be a little larger)
1665754234043.png

Reactions: peterfat11

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.