Troubleshoot Tech Support Scam

MSmitty

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 12, 2018
They got me... Now my system turns on but no power to keyboard and monitor stays black. Windows 7, seems disabled entirely, can't boot anything. Any help?

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Can you boot into safe mode and do a startup repair. Or restore from a system image if you have backed up your system. ;)

Reactions: AtlBo
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Welcome, can you explain further about "They got me...".

What exactly happened?
When did it occur?
Did they ask you to download any software? Uninstall any software?

Are you using a Laptop or Desktop?

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
No power to the keyboard suggests a power supply problem. I would try another keyboard in a different pair of USB ports.

Did this tech support come to your home, or help you remotely?

Upvote 0

MSmitty

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 12, 2018
Win7, 32 bit Dell desktop, mfg 07. Widows error scam, have SS but too large to post. I closed the "Windows Security Essentials" box to clean the virus, I believe that is how they got in. (Sorry so slow typing)
Now I can't get anything when power on, light on tower blinks, but nothing to monitor or keypad.
I called #, did not use PC as it would not boot up.
Sorry, wrong terminology, keyboard hardware is fine, no connection/data w processor. Monitor stays in sleep mode

Upvote 0

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
What you can try is make a live DVD/USB with a Linux Distro. Boot from the USB/DVD to the Linux Distro, don't install the Linux distro but use the live desktop. When booted you can access all your files and folders on the harddisk and copy the files to USB.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey
Upvote 0

MSmitty

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 12, 2018
I'm somewhat of a beginner w new technology, and your reply sparked new ideas. I was given a Plextor px-716uf rewritable drive, not sure it even works as there are no connectors with it. If I acquire them, is it the same as the Linux?

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.