techgeek88's Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

techgeek88

Thread author
Mar 16, 2011
I've been working on PC's since I was little. I remember being VERY young and my parents taking me to people's houses so I could fix their Windows 3.1 PC and they would pay me with food. I took to computers very easily, both PC and Mac and became very good with them early on. By age 8 or so I was making registry changes and reformatting and reinstalling OS's. I got my first computer at age 10, an Apple Macintosh Performa and then later on also a Compaq Presario running Windows 95. The first computer I ever used was an Apple IIGS. I have been repairing PC's professionally for about 4 years now. I consider myself an advanced user on computers. I use Kaspersky because I've tried them all and always come back. I'm a KIS fanboy for sure and proud of it. I love Macs also and have an iMac and plan on getting a MacBook Pro later this year. I am as much of a fanboy of Apple as I am of Microsoft, I love and use both. I love Windows 7, it's the best Windows yet IMO. I love Mac OS X Snow Leopard too and it's the best version of OS X. I repair computers out of home, or onsite. I also do some basic stuff through Remote Access (TeamViewer). I love Technology in general. I use it and repair it daily.

NOTE: I like my config as-is, especially for Real Time Protection. I'm mainly just sharing mine, not really looking for improvements. KIS is the best out there. I am a Kaspersky fanboy to the max, just a forewarning. You will see me sing the praises of Kaspersky Lab. I am strongly against all Symantec (Norton) products and refuse to use them on my machines or recommend them, but I promise not to go into Norton threads and bash their products.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
KIS is a good suite, thanks for sharing your config. The only thing I would suggest is imaging your system partition, just in case.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
you seem to be a pro; I read your bio and I got really amazed - repairing and dealing with windows 3 is not easy. :) I assume you know about Wmware and VirtualBox so give Comodo time Machine a try. I suggest 2.9 beta. If you wanna see how it looks bit look at my blocg --> Blogs --> Valentin N

Nice Config btw :)

Regards,
Vaöentin N

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Your config si very good but you can improve it by adding Web Of Trust to your Browser

Additional browser protection:
WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

Also for KIS 2011.. you can check this quick guide here .. maybe you'll find a setting that you like :D

BTW welcome to MTips :D

techgeek88

Thread author
Mar 16, 2011
Thanks everyone.

I will add WOT to my browser. I have heard about it but I haven't used it on Chrome (might have tried it back in the FF days, not sure). Right now all I have is AdBlock and the VirusTotal addon which I never use but it is nice to have anyway! :D

As far as imaging my system partition, I copy most of my important files to either my Dropbox, USB thumbdrive, or External HD. I will definitely try doing that. I know there is Macrium Reflect and a few others out there.

Jack - as far as KIS settings, I've been using KIS for a few years now. I use it in "interactive" mode, with "Untrusted" on unknown apps and high heuristics. I will check the guide to see if there are any other settings I'd like.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
techgeek88 said:
Thanks everyone.

I will add WOT to my browser. I have heard about it but I haven't used it on Chrome (might have tried it back in the FF days, not sure). Right now all I have is AdBlock and the VirusTotal addon which I never use but it is nice to have anyway! :D

As far as imaging my system partition, I copy most of my important files to either my Dropbox, USB thumbdrive, or External HD. I will definitely try doing that. I know there is Macrium Reflect and a few others out there.

Jack - as far as KIS settings, I've been using KIS for a few years now. I use it in "interactive" mode, with "Untrusted" on unknown apps and high heuristics. I will check the guide to see if there are any other settings I'd like.

For chrome it's Ultimate Flags or so

techgeek88

Thread author
Mar 16, 2011
I love Chrome. Great browser compared to Firefox. IE now is in the middle with 9. Firefox is the poorest browser choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.