Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
The most recent build (9860) of the Windows 10 Technical Preview was released on October 21 - but earlier today, Microsoft teased a new build on the way. We said it might arrive today, and indeed it has, as the company has confirmed that build 9879 is now being pushed out.

snag-002.jpg

You can get the latest version of Windows 10 by going to Windows Update and checking for the updates within that panel. If you need more detailed instructions, you can find them here.

Now, Microsoft does point out that there are some known problems with the new build. The company says that "as with the last build, you're getting hot-off-the-presses code which means there are a few issues". These include:

• In some cases you may get a black screen when trying to log-in or unlock. The only option is to hold the power button to hard reboot.
  • You will be unable to connect to Distributed File System network locations.
  • Some systems may see disk growth of 20GB+ due to driver install duplication. On systems with low disk space this can block setup and cause a rollback to the previous build.
  • Skype calls will disconnect and Music will stop playing if those apps are minimized.
  • There are several known issues with screen sharing with Lync.
Fixes for the first two issues in that list will be coming via Windows Update "shortly", according to Microsoft, but the remaining issues will not be resolved immediately.

9879-hide-buttons.jpg

One feature that is likely to be popular in 9879 is the ability to hide the Search and Task View buttons on the taskbar. These options have been added to the main taskbar menu, available via right-click.

Other improvements include:

• New minimize and restore animations, in response to feedback from users that the previous animations were "a bit jarring"
  • The '3 dots' - a stable of Metro/Modern design - are no more. Microsoft says it's making it easier to find the Charms and full screen button by replacing the 3 dots with a 'hamburger-style' (three horizontal lines) button
  • MS says it's "fixed a lot of issues" that users have experienced with app crashes and system hangs
But beyond these improvements, there are some pretty significant new features in build 9879 as well. One such feature is the new trackpad gestures that Microsoft's Joe Belfiore showed off at TechEd Europe a few weeks ago, including:

• Three-fingers up: Task View
  • Three-fingers down: Show Desktop
  • Three-fingers flick to left or right: Switch between open apps
  • Three-fingers move left or right: Alt-Tab pops up allowing you to highlight and select the app you want
  • Three-fingers tap: Search
onedrive-01.jpg

Microsoft is also making changes to how OneDrive syncs in Windows 10, in response to feedback from users over confusion regarding which files are available offline and which are just 'placeholders' for files stored elsewhere. The new build introduces 'selective sync', allowing users to choose exactly what files and content they want synced to their PC.

More significantly, Microsoft appears to have signalled the end for its OneDrive app in Windows 10, as this section of its blog post suggests (emphasis ours):

Also in Windows 8.1, there were multiple ways you could get to your OneDrive files such as through the modern OneDrive app or through File Explorer. We heard a lot of feedback around this as well. It wasn’t obvious exactly where to go for your OneDrive files. In Windows 10, we are providing people with one easy way to get to their OneDrive files – through File Explorer.

It sure sounds like the standalone OneDrive app will no longer have a role in Windows 10, with Microsoft focusing exclusively on providing access to OneDrive via File Explorer.

There are improvements in build 9879 for Internet Explorer, with the introduction of Microsoft's new Edge rendering engine, focusing on interoperability. Edge will only be available in IE for 10% of those on the Windows Insider program.

windows-10-media-center.jpg

Adding to the native MKV support that it introduced to Windows 10 in build 9860, Microsoft has polished the user experience a bit further in build 9879. It's now possible to play MKV files directly from Windows Media Player (and other desktop and modern apps), while MKV files will also show their thumbnails and metadata in File Explorer. There's also new support for DLNA and Play To.
Via Neowin

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Windows 10 enterprise ISO of build 9879 now available

wino10enter.jpg

Microsoft released a new build of Windows 10 earlier this week and if you are wanting to use the ISO files to perform a clean install, you can now do so for the enterprise SKU.

If you head to the source link at the bottom of this page, you will be able to download the build 9879, but you will have to fill out some profile information first. There are a few languages available that include, English, English (Great Britain), Chinese (simplified) and Portuguese.

These ISO files make it easy to install the latest version of the technical preview from a clean slate so you do not have to jump through the upgrade hoops to acquire the latest builds.

If you have installed 9879, let us know how it is working for you and if you find anything new, make sure to send us a tip.

Download: Windows 10 enterprise ISO for build 9879
Source

Reactions: norman

Rus Anca

Level 25
Verified
Jun 18, 2014
Windows 10 Build 9879 Technical Preview

New in Windows 10 Build 9879 Technical Preview:
Ability to hide or show Task View button
Ability to hide or show Search button
New minimize and restore animations
Three dots in Windows chrome replaced by ‘hamburger-style’ icon
New Trackpad gestures: 3 finger up -> Task View, 3 finger down -> show Desktop, 3 finger flick to left or right -> switches to previous app, 3 finger move left or right -> Alt-Tab appears, 3 finger tap -> Search
Selective sync available in OneDrive, you pick what you want synced to your PC now
Interoperability focused Edge rendering engine in Internet Explorer available to 10% of Insiders
Native MKV support, including thumbnail and metadata support in File Explorer
Continued UI refinements, including some new icons
New Insider Hub app for those in the Windows Insider Program.

Introducing Windows 10

System requirements:
If your PC can run Windows 8.1, you’re good to go. If you’re not sure, don’t worry Windows will check your system to make sure it can install the preview.
Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Free hard disk space: 16 GB
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
A Microsoft account and Internet access

Homepage: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

rodm177

Level 1
Verified
Nov 21, 2014
Well I like Win 7. I thought it was the best so far. I refused to go near that ugly windows 8...BUT Win 10 looks nice.

Only problem for me is I love clean installs and that is a lot of work.

I have imaged my current installs while using Win7 with acronis and AX64 Time Machine using version 1,448. I love that app...

But those wont help me with a clean install and having to re-register all my software...arrg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.