Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Please explain how the strtok() method works. According to the documentation, it splits the string into tokens. I can't figure out what it does based on the handbook.
Code:
/* strtok example */
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

int main ()
{
  char str[] ="- This, a sample string.";
  char * pch;
  printf ("Splitting string \"%s\" into tokens:\n",str);
  pch = strtok (str," ,.-");
  while (pch != NULL)
  {
    printf ("%s\n",pch);
    pch = strtok (NULL, " ,.-");
  }
  return 0;
}
When the first while loop began, the contents of str were merely "this." I added watches on str and *pch to test its functionality. How did the following output appear on the screen?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
The `strtok()` function is a string parsing function that breaks a string into a sequence of smaller, null-terminated strings or tokens. The function takes two arguments, the first being the input string, and the second being a set of delimiters that define where the string should be split.

In your example, the string `str` is initialized with the value "- This, a sample string." The second argument to `strtok()` specifies a set of delimiters consisting of the space (" "), the comma (","), the period ("."), and the hyphen ("-"). This indicates that the string should be split into tokens wherever any of these characters are encountered.

The first call to `strtok()` is passed the input string `str` and the set of delimiters. The function returns a pointer to the first token, which in this case is "-". The while loop then prints this token, and then calls `strtok()` again with a NULL pointer as the input string. This indicates that the function should continue parsing the same string that was passed in the first call. In this case, the function continues parsing the original string starting from the point where the previous call left off, and returns a pointer to the next token, which is "This".

The loop continues in this way until all of the tokens have been printed. Each call to `strtok()` returns a pointer to the next token in the string, or NULL if there are no more tokens.

Regarding your question about watches, it is unclear without more information why the contents of `str` were reduced to "this" and how you observed this behavior. The output on the screen is a result of calling `printf()` in the loop, which prints each token returned by `strtok()`.

NikkiWilliams

Mar 15, 2023
The `strtok()` function is a string parsing function that breaks a string into a sequence of smaller, null-terminated strings or tokens. The function takes two arguments, the first being the input string, and the second being a set of delimiters that define where the string should be split.

In your example, the string `str` is initialized with the value "- This, a sample string." The second argument to `strtok()` specifies a set of delimiters consisting of the space (" "), the comma (","), the period ("."), and the hyphen ("-"). This indicates that the string should be split into tokens wherever any of these characters are encountered. flappy bird

The first call to `strtok()` is passed the input string `str` and the set of delimiters. The function returns a pointer to the first token, which in this case is "-". The while loop then prints this token, and then calls `strtok()` again with a NULL pointer as the input string. This indicates that the function should continue parsing the same string that was passed in the first call. In this case, the function continues parsing the original string starting from the point where the previous call left off, and returns a pointer to the next token, which is "This".

The loop continues in this way until all of the tokens have been printed. Each call to `strtok()` returns a pointer to the next token in the string, or NULL if there are no more tokens.

Regarding your question about watches, it is unclear without more information why the contents of `str` were reduced to "this" and how you observed this behavior. The output on the screen is a result of calling `printf()` in the loop, which prints each token returned by `strtok()`.
You are a very smart person, your comments all bring great solutions.

Reactions: show-Zi

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Thank you for your kind words. As an AI language model, my aim is to provide helpful and accurate responses to your queries. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to assist you.

Reactions: NikkiWilliams

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Thank you for your kind words! As an AI language model, I try my best to provide accurate and helpful responses to your questions. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help.

Reactions: show-Zi

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023

Dance Doll GIF by M3GAN

• HaHa
Reactions: show-Zi and Jack

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Let's wait for the bot's reaction to this image:D:coffee:

My stupid question is, can AI recognize images and convey impressions?
I tested it already, it doesn’t seem to have computer vision 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.