and to the ondemand scanner : HitmanPro , Emisoft

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Real-time protection
Webroot Secure Anywhere Essentials is a solid product.. did you buy it or its a trial?
I have sent you key for Zemana Antilogger so If you want you can add it back to your setup.

Additional on-demand scanner:
You can install Hitman Pro, a very powerful scanner which is great against rootkits and other nasty pieces of malware.
Hitman Pro (Trial) - link
An on-demand scanner using multiple anti-malware engines and cloud technology. It offers unlimited free scanning but once you use it to remove detected malware it switches to a 30-day trial version. I recommend using it after you've scanned your hard-drive with the other products you have installed.

Additional browser plugins
You can install an ad blocker to remove all those annoying ads from the websites....
Adblock Plus (Free) - link
Adblock is a content-filtering extension for Mozilla Firefox- and Mozilla Application Suite-based web browsers. Adblock allows users to prevent page elements, such as advertisements, from being downloaded and displayed.

Scan your downloads easily with 43 AV engines :
VTzilla (Free) - link
VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.
The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button.

With this add-on you can block the ads from any website....
Adblock Plus (Free) - link
Adblock is a content-filtering extension for Mozilla Firefox- and Mozilla Application Suite-based web browsers. Adblock allows users to prevent page elements, such as advertisements, from being downloaded and displayed.

With this add-on you can create strong and unique passwords for each website without the worry that you'll forget them :
LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

Virtualization:

I would strongly recommend that you give Sandboxie a look as this program can keep you safe from a lot of bad things.You can run your browser and unknown apps in a virtual environment thus achieving a new level of protection.
Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.
FrontPageAnimation.gif

FrontPageLegend.png

Sandboxie at work :

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You can include as toolbox in case of emergency situations.

Comodo Cleaning Essentials - http://help.comodo.com/topic-119-1-208-2073-downloading-comodo-cleaning-essentials.html

TeXaCo

Thread author
Jan 15, 2012
Thank you for the suggestions, not sure where to start

I did look at sandboxie awhile back but I had thought it was a paid program.

My webroot is paid so I should be good there. I love it, it doesn't take up alot of resources and has a great detection rate. Not sure how good the firewall is tho.

I will check out hitman pro and VTzilla when I get a chance.

I uninstalled adblock plus because I forgot to mention I have ad-muncher running and does a great job at blocking all the ads on any I browser I use.

I also use Maxa cookie manager to keep the cookies from sticking around.

For Lastpass. I had went away from them back when they had that security breach. I actually have Sticky password and Roboform installed and am using both at the moment, trying to figure out which one I like better.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
If you get what the others said, and keep everything backed up, your config will stay solid :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.