Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
AVG Internet security + VPN (Prejudge)

Activated layers
1605851335407.png

User Interface/Usability
I like it because it is well designed. Easy to navigate and kind of minimalistic and the colours are good for the eye.
I have no problem finding anything.

Performance
Clicking on the tray icon shows the dashboard within 2 sec and it is very impressive!
AVG is light as F-Secure or ESET (at least on my machine). Boot time is good and everything is responsive on my system. I haven't experienced any slowdown.
VPN is so far so good but I need more test because it depends on many things but I can tell you it is fast and stable.
There is a kill switch but there is no any option to change protocols.
1605851272237.png
1605851245357.png

Protection
Sorry I'm not a malware hunter but I'm sure you can find tests here if you want to.

Firewall
I used to use Simplewall/Glasswire/WFC (binisoft/malwarebytes) but I really like the AVG firewall.
Plus I don't need an extra software to manage the firewall.
The only "downside" that I need 3 clicks to get to the firewall menu.
There are a lot of options in the firewall menu but for now I don't want to deal with it.

1605851817549.png
1605851939896.png

Email shield
I had to turn it off because eMclient had connection issue and couldn't solve the problem. I don't really need this layer. :)

Remote access shield & Fake website shield
I was afraid they were gonna slowdown my browsing experience but so far so good. Good to have these layers.

1605852461606.png
1605852496313.png

This is for now :D

Last edited:

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Thank you
Real nice Configuration @Thales, enjoy the rest of your day/night where ever you are in the world. 😉 :)
Thank you my friend. I wish the same for you :giggle:
Ransomware Shield and Sensitive Data shield would be good addition to your current AVG Layers.
They are much better than I originally thought, as they recognise the module behind an app.
I'm not sure if I need the sensitive data shield beside the OSArmor.
Ransomware shield is a good idea. Will inspect it.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Thank you

Thank you my friend. I wish the same for you :giggle:

I'm not sure if I need the sensitive data shield beside the OSArmor.
Ransomware shield is a good idea. Will inspect it.
It’s very different from OSArmor. It uses machine learning to detect documents with sensitive data and then doesn’t allow untrusted processes to access or modify them.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Ransomware shield is a good idea.
Indeed, you should enable this feature. It's also included in AVG Free. Personally, I don't see much point in using paid version. The nag screens aren't bad, only on smart scan I think, and this can be blocked via firewall, i.e. AVGUI.exe.

I doubt I would use OSA with AVG, especially the paid suite.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Indeed, you should enable this feature. It's also included in AVG Free. Personally, I don't see much point in using paid version. The nag screens aren't bad, only on smart scan I think.

No, I wouldn't use OSA with paid AVG either, considering it's got highly-effective web and behavioural blockers. Upon downloading malware, it takes 2-3 minutes for the link to be blacklisted. The behavioural blocker, as well as CyberCapture are a continuous discussion, which can be seen in a thread of mine:

It's worth mentioning that this is the only AV I've seen being able to handle java malware and non-process threats the right way. I've not tested Kaspersky in depth, so it's exempt from this conclusion. I've also not tested programmes such as Nano Antivirus, TotalAV and similar.
I am using AVG Ultimate.

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Indeed, you should enable this feature. It's also included in AVG Free. Personally, I don't see much point in using paid version. The nag screens aren't bad, only on smart scan I think.

Yeah I was also thinking removing OSA. I'm gonna buy AVG Ultimate today because of the VPN. and firewall.
I need VPN because (I don't know why) without it my internet has connection issues and I lost money because of it. I have windscribe premium and tried a lot options (wireguard app, openvpn app, windscribe app with different protocols but nothing worked except f-secure freedome and AVG secure VPN (I tried only this two besides windscribe)
So, it seems the those VPNs can stabilize my network but windscribe failed. The another reason is the firewall. I don't need another software (even if I like simplewall or glasswire) because AVG's firewall is aswesome.
It cost only 28$ for 2 years, so this is a great deal.

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Update:
Bought AVG Ultimate (2yrs 5 devices)
Still good. I'm gonna update my experience.

Switched back to Onedrive from MEGA (400GB)
Now it's time to transfer my 250GB data :cry:
Reason: MEGA's website is buggy. That's all.
Onedrive is good because for the price I got the Office365 and 1TB cloud space. I don't really need the office 365 or the whole 1TB but why not. :)
The downside is how they handle your account if you don't pay for it anymore. You lose everything after a couple of months. MEGA by contrast keeps your data for years. I have this experience.
I tried outlook client but I think eMclient is better. Just my opinion.

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
All right, I've changed my backup plan and started using cryptomator for sensitive data instead of Bandizip.
Cryptomator: Simplier version of Veracrypt. No need to create specific sized container and it is very good. Well designed and responsive didn't find any error or critical data loss on the forum about cryptomator. Onedrive noted me I have ransomware infection but that was just the filesystem of cryptomator. Nice to have this feature in onedrive.

Backup:
New GDrive account (Not shared and protected with long but memorable password, no 2FA)
New Onedrive account (Not shared and protected with long but memorable password, no 2FA)
Main Onedrive account (Random complex and long password, 2FA)
Separated partition on my SSD.
USB drive (Protected by bitlocker)
Phone as my secondary external drive

Sticky password is in my document folder with my backup codes, keyfiles, plaintext passwords protected by cryptomator.
1606916184019.png

I use syncbackpro to save them automatically.
Like this
1606915751394.png

I know only 2 passwords.
The 1st password
Masterpassword of sticky, USB drive, cryptomator

The 2nd password
Backup emails (Gmail and outlook)

This way I can restore my accounts even if I lose my phone, USB and laptop at once. Plus everything works automatically.

Ransomware? Still have everything on external USB/phone and onedrive is capable of restoring.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.