Thank you F-Secure Total ID Monitoring

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I do at times give some AV companies a little grief, including F-Secure in one of my last posts about them, but, their simple little ID Monitoring module included with Total, has been a blessing.

In their information, they will actually give you the parts of the names or words associated with the breach. Last time I went through all of my passwords and login names looking for the ones they showed, and changed as many as I could that were still webpages that weren't 6-10 years old and obsolete.

There is another subscription I have for BD Digital Identity Protection that has a lot of tabs, charts, graphs, scorecard, lots of eye candy, but they do not show or give me any information on what to look for. F-Secure does, and I received this notification this morning, so I will be reviewing and changing any passwords or user names that were breached.

f secure identity.jpg

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
This is common to all AVs that integrate password managers, as well as software such as NordPass, Dashlane etc...

They use the HaveIBeenPwned API to verify.
Right, but they usually don't give you any clue of words, names, or partial passwords that have been used, hacked, just that Combolist, etc was hacked. BD doesn't show that, Kaspersky doesn't show that information, and when I asked BD support about it, I was just given an excuse as to why they don't, and that's for a separate paid-for service.

So I'm not sure of the information others may show, to give a person an idea of what to look for.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
In their information, they will actually give you the parts of the names or words associated with the breach.
Glad to see your another F-Secure Total user that noted this extra feature and what it actually does. Personal I did a smaller test on it around 1 year ago shared here:

Today I'm still using the ID-monitoring, but on my phone as they managed to implement that part extra well.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
What's the difference to using Keepass and and a Breach/Leak Checker Plugin?
I just need to know which pw is burned I don't care about the name of the breach or so. Pw burned = needs to be replaced fast. At least that's my logic so far.

scorpionv

Level 2
Apr 20, 2020
You triggered my curiosity, and it turns out I do own a F-Secure license but I can't get the ID monitoring app to work on Android. It tries to connect to localhost, and throws a page not found error 😴 Nice try, but I'll stick to online tools, and the built in functionality of my password manager. It is kind of a bummer that they make it this hard to try out. It should be as easy as a simple app, where you put in your e-mail address, and that is everything the app needs to know to lookup haveIBeenPwned.

Has your personal information been exposed in a data breach? | F‑Secure is kinda nice too, it produces a fairly extensive report on your e-mail.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
You triggered my curiosity, and it turns out I do own a F-Secure license but I can't get the ID monitoring app to work on Android. It tries to connect to localhost, and throws a page not found error 😴 Nice try, but I'll stick to online tools, and the built in functionality of my password manager. It is kind of a bummer that they make it this hard to try out. It should be as easy as a simple app, where you put in your e-mail address, and that is everything the app needs to know to lookup haveIBeenPwned.

Has your personal information been exposed in a data breach? | F‑Secure is kinda nice too, it produces a fairly extensive report on your e-mail.
Nice link ;) :)

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018

Its quite easy to setup on desktop.

It really sounds good,but where,can you buy F-secure Total security for a decent price?The add I saw was 69 dollars a year!!
SerialCart

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
It really sounds good,but where,can you buy F-secure Total security for a decent price?The add I saw was 69 dollars a year!!
Others have mentioned the same thing about the price, especially at renewal. Contact support, I called them and let them know what I needed. In my case, a 7 key subscription, and they were very accommodating. My renewal, extension, went just as well. I did it through my F-Secure portal, Subscriptions, and got a year for 7 devices @ $67.34 US dollars. Again, I called them and talked with them before I confirmed the renewal.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
As a normal home user I wouldn't buy F-Secures ID-Protection alone, as it feels too expensive on it's own even if it uses a far more advanced database then HIBP ( HaveIBeenPwned ) and also comes with a password manager. Nowadays ID-Protections ID monitoring even have options to add credit cards, phone numbers, social security numbers, passport, drivers license, bank numbers etc. That's not included in HIPB, unless I missed something. F-Secures Total package is a better choice if one is curious and check with member @SerialCart . But as always with any normal paid software, test before one buy/pay and that's possible for 30 days, even with the stand alone ID-Protection.

As long as you use something, and it doesn't have to be F-Secure
Couldn't agree more, but make sure not to pay anything if it's merely using HIPB as that's a 100% free service for anyone.

can't get the ID monitoring app to work on Android. It tries to connect to localhost, and throws a page not found error
Sorry to hear as on my own Android it works flawless. If you still want to use it, I can recommend you reach out to their official support and see if they might be able to help you. Here's the page:

Others have mentioned the same thing about the price, especially at renewal. Contact support, I called them and let them know what I needed. In my case, a 7 key subscription, and they were very accommodating. My renewal, extension, went just as well. I did it through my F-Secure portal, Subscriptions, and got a year for 7 devices @ $67.34 US dollars. Again, I called them and talked with them before I confirmed the renewal.
Not sure if you seen it, but I know others been trying to advice on this forum that the renewal should be done elsewhere as that's very possible and with a much much lower price. I would for sure recommend try to have a talk in private with @SerialCart . Send him a PM. In my own case I shop local ( local shopping I always try to do for many reasons ) with a genuine reseller and I haven't purchased a license on their official site for years, even if they have a few times per year silly good discounts as also been posted here on MT.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.