The Best Authenticator Apps for iPhone and Android

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Two-factor authentication (2FA) is essential for securing your accounts these days. It isn’t enough to have a password anymore. Between password leaks, and weak and reused passwords, it’s too easy for hackers to figure out your secrets and break into your accounts. 2FA fills in the security gaps—but not all 2FA is created equal. For most people, authenticator apps offer the best mix of convenience and security. But which one is best for you?

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Everyone has their personal preference when it comes to App Authenticator, particularly I use and recommend Aegis Authenticator. It is open source, secure, has encrypted backup, export and import function, generates the QRCODE of the seed, which you can pass to another app Authenticator such as Google Authenticator, Twilio Authy Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator it can be protected with a password, PIN and biometrics. You choose the custom icons for your accounts. And the Aegis Authenticator resides only on your cell phone it does not touch the web, it works completely offline. If you want to transfer your accounts to another device, export and send to your google drive download and import to another device that has Aegis Authenticator, once imported delete the file from your google drive simple and easy and without rodeo.;)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
My preference is Microsoft Authenticator for iOS. Microsoft does know most of my personal data anyway, so no need to worry about to trust on another 3rd party app...
Microsoft Authenticator on iOS can be protected even via Face-ID. iCloud backup your data works well.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
My preference is Microsoft Authenticator for iOS. Microsoft does know most of my personal data anyway
A poor choice as restore requires access to the cloud. Only use authentication apps which permit ;local backup, and do so in a non=proprietary manner to allow OTP app switching.

Google/Microsoft/Twilio fail hands down.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
A poor choice as restore requires access to the cloud. Only use authentication apps which permit ;local backup, and do so in a non=proprietary manner to allow OTP app switching.

Well, it's your choice anyway, but I wouldn't saying "poor choice" about other people when they chosen those 3 apps what you mentioned...
I don't care about local backups as long as I have always backup-codes on paper... (saved in my personal vault at home) for all my websites what does offering 2FA ;)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
This article from ghacks published today about same topic. Aegis Authenticator mentioned as first, after that both Authenticator apps from Google and Microsoft.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

In my opinion, a poor choice would be Email, SMS and Phone call.

Microsoft Authenticator is a great option. It lets users safely backup their codes without needing the technical know-how of backing up their codes. Additional benefits includes Windows-integration with Edge (browser) passwords and can be used as Autofill in iOS - an iCloud Keychain alternative, and similar for Android.

2FA/OTP apps that allow full control require users to be responsible with handling their own data/keys. Not everyone is comfortable or equipped to do so.

Using a combination of both is the best option, you learn the benefits/caveats of each.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
In my opinion, a poor choice would be Email, SMS and Phone call.

Microsoft Authenticator is a great option. It lets users safely backup their codes without needing the technical know-how of backing up their codes. Additional benefits includes Windows-integration with Edge (browser) passwords and can be used as Autofill in iOS - an iCloud Keychain alternative, and similar for Android.

2FA/OTP apps that allow full control require users to be responsible with handling their own data/keys. Not everyone is comfortable or equipped to do so.

Using a combination of both is the best option, you learn the benefits/caveats of each.
I use Microsoft Authenticator :) recently adjusted Device Registration as below:
1680438749589.png

But my backup email is the free Hotmail email. Is that ok, or its best to change it to my G Suite email?

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Two-factor authentication (2FA) is essential for securing your accounts these days. It isn’t enough to have a password anymore. Between password leaks, and weak and reused passwords, it’s too easy for hackers to figure out your secrets and break into your accounts. 2FA fills in the security gaps—but not all 2FA is created equal. For most people, authenticator apps offer the best mix of convenience and security. But which one is best for you?

Yes, you are very right. I also want to learn why and how to use a psychical security key, like those that look like a USB.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
My preference is Microsoft Authenticator for iOS. Microsoft does know most of my personal data anyway, so no need to worry about to trust on another 3rd party app...
Microsoft Authenticator on iOS can be protected even via Face-ID. iCloud backup your data works well.
What’s your opinion on the following combination for this user:
  • iOS 16: Apps + Safari + Chrome
  • Windows 11: Chrome (Edge is not an option for use).
iCloud Keychain or MS Authenticator?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
What’s your opinion on the following combination for this user:
  • iOS 16: Apps + Safari + Chrome
  • Windows 11: Chrome (Edge is not an option for use).
iCloud Keychain or MS Authenticator?
iCloud Keychain is a good alternative, I tried last year iCloud for Windows app:

To work properly on Windows 10/11, this Chrome extension (from Apple) is required:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
iCloud Keychain is a good alternative, I tried last year iCloud for Windows app:
[…]

To work properly on Windows 10/11, this Chrome extension (from Apple) is required:
[…]
Thanks, I’ll migrate them to iCloud KeyChain, keeping Microsoft Authenticator for their MS Account passwordless login/work.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I'm very glad they put Raivo (iOS) on two blogs because i use it so unfortunately someone bought Raivo as we didn't know that for sure it's at risk we don't trust new owner so sad :(

Temporarily Unlisted

Raivo OTP: Easy-to-use and lightweight with sync for iOS

Warning: Unlisted iOS iPhone iPad​

Mac

Unlisted for now because Raivo was sold, and the new owner wasn't able to clarify concerns listed in the GitHub discussion. The warning will be removed once the situation is all cleared up.

There is also a MacOS app available to automatically and securely copy one-time passwords tapped in Raivo OTP for iOS to the clipboard of your Mac. Works across multiple iCloud accounts.

and also removed Raivo OTP from Privacy Guides

Well i'm trying to find one good 2FA for iOS asap maybe about this one or this but need for research before chose it.

Some people might say Microsoft Authenticator is good for iOS it's not my thing i don't know..

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
well I use my yubikey where I can, but otherwise I've been using Authy on my iPhone, but it seems to be disfavored here, ie, I started using Authy when I was on hiatus from MT, and did not know any better.😰 I just read about the issue with Authy: "Authy's main strength is multi-device support...which you can enable from the app's settings. I think it has the best interface among 2FA apps. The reason why I mention Authy here [not recommended list], and not in the primary list above is because its parent company, Twilio, suffered a data breach last year. Authy uses end-to-end encryption, in theory it should have protected the user's data. The company mentioned in its report that only 93 authy users (out of 75 million) who had additional devices registered to their account were affected by the breach attack." Maybe I should stop using Authy, but so far it has not failed me :unsure: Is is safe?

Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.