The "consciousness" of Android

L

LabZero

Thread author
Hello everyone.

Have you ever wondered what a simple mobile device know about you and your personal information?

One of the most serious failings of Android is the absence of a mechanism, built into the operating system, that allows to manage the permissions of installed apps and deny the use of resources that have nothing to do with how the application works.

With the platform evolution users will be able to choose which permissions to grant to apps and which deny, thus exerting more control over the type of personal information to share on the network but who, like me, has an old Android version, may not have that chance...

I want to do some general considerations.

The interaction with the user and the operating system of mobile devices (smartphone or tablet) allows applications to access many more data than a traditional web browser. Anyone who owns a mobile device has normally active on average about 20 applications, some of which are capable of collecting vast amounts of personal data:collections of pictures, videos, location data, banking information, contacts, browsing history, etc. Today the users tend to delegate the management of many aspects of their lives, personally and professionally, to new technologies without concern for personal privacy. The risks and threats in which a user may run for a use not noticed or not regulated of mobile apps, are derived from the lack of "transparency" in the manner and purpose of data collection, user inability or impossibility to exercise the "control" over their data and how they are disclosed to third parties and finally the lack of fundamentals basic techniques of "computer security".
Often, compared with the provision of free applications , app makers acquire a range of personal information without providing advice about its treatment. Many times it happens that the same user in order to use the service, is willing to surrender the information and personal data in its possession, without worrying about the consequences. Then it is necessary to have a good technical basis with the goal of having an awareness of the risks associated with installing applications without due attention to the required permits.

Concluding, Android devices may have "conscience" of everything they have around and with the real world.

Stay Safe.:)

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Well-written post, many great points put forward.

I have to say, while I am rather aware of this situation, it has yet to bother/interest me. :D
(it's kind of embarrassing now that I think about it...)

As for permissions, rooted Android builds like CyanogenMod, or Android 6.x, allow for managing permissions on a per app basis.

Great read though, definitely worth a read by any Android user. :p

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@Klipsh, the subject of Android is ultimately relevant now ..everywhere to most everyone, and I thank you for mentioning what has been gently gnawing at my concerns, but not keeping me a bit more awake than I have already been!:rolleyes::) Truly.

Android's easily accessible availability together with it's all too alluring convenient (in the palm of your hand) compact mobile form which everybody must have, has seemed far too easy (to me) to be truly secure or, in actuality, reliably safeguarding of anyone's privacy.:oops:

Now that my wife's smartphone lacks display capabilities since after falling, if it were a cat (not on it's feet) to lose it's last life, I can neither clear it of information nor remove the Chrome & Gmail apps logged onto my account, ..or can I?o_O Even though I neither bank nor make purchases online, the lack of control in Android comes home to roost at times of rain, snow, & esp. broken mobile devices.:confused::p

*Lastly, we have some good news.:):) For some reason her Galaxy S4 was only able to connect when standing directly beside our home wireless router which we've used mainly to activate "Bubble Gum Hill" bonus levels on Candy Crush Soda!:) I've continued to consider our "not" being able connect online normally as being a bonus safety feature we would not have chosen, somewhat like the problem of my wife's worrying for my safety when I ride my motorcycle, and yet finding I am not able to ride because of a problem with it's clutch!:confused: Hooray!:cool: ..?o_O

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Privacy is no longer a definition to majority of developers only few independent makers understand the flow of proper transparency and fairness, because with money involved; they can generate revenues without any problems + of course none of sensitive information may collect but in such case there are deep plans that happens throughout on the system.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.