Status
Not open for further replies.

NekoJonez

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
So, since Reason Core Security now exists.... Is Unchecky (stand-alone) and HerdProtect still going to be supported, updated and developed? Or are these tools now Reason Core Security.

Side question: "Shall I remove it"... Is that already a part of Reason Core Security?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For existing Unchecky users, nothing will change: if you don’t need the power of Reason Core Security, you can continue to use Unchecky, which is not abandoned – it will continue to be developed as a standalone program as well as a Reason Core Security component.

dated on April 2015

http://rammichael.com/unchecky-has-been-acquired-by-reason-software-company

Same assumption to Herdprotect which are still active in the development so still accessible any time. For sure based on screenshot of Reason Core security then it includes uninstaller with surely the technology of "Should I remove it" standalone.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I was actually kinda surprised that Reason Core Security wasn't a sort of followup to HerdProtect.
Quite surprised too, anyone have any idea what engine reasoncore uses? Can't find it on their site, but it seems that they have their own engine and use only their own engine.

NekoJonez

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
Once I read something that they have their own engine. Which would make sense... Since Reason Core Security actually alerted me twice when I downloaded an Open Candy installer. Something I don't see a lot of AV programs do.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Once I read something that they have their own engine. Which would make sense... Since Reason Core Security actually alerted me twice when I downloaded an Open Candy installer. Something I don't see a lot of AV programs do.

Because OpenCandy isn't regarded as malware anymore.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Ah, I see. Does MBAM still pick it up?
Yes and in real-time for premium. It prevents OpenCandy installer from running and notifies you without disrupting the regular software's installer. (Free File Sync is one of them and it's a really handy program)

Others may decide it isn't malware but it is, unarguably, Potentially Unwanted Software (PUP); I am disappointed that security software with a PUP option sill doesn't flag the well-known PUPs. Sham I tellsya.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Yes and in real-time for premium. It prevents OpenCandy installer from running and notifies you without disrupting the regular software's installer. (Free File Sync is one of them and it's a really handy program)

Others may decide it isn't malware but it is, unarguably, Potentially Unwanted Software (PUP); I am disappointed that security software with a PUP option sill doesn't flag the well-known PUPs. Sham I tellsya.

So does browsers fall into the same section, because they display ads on the pages that might link you to unwanted sites and finally malware? OpenCandy is an advertising software module, and not a PUP (although some might have various opinions depending on how they perceive it).

Reactions: NekoJonez

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
So does browsers fall into the same section, because they display ads on the pages that might link you to unwanted sites and finally malware?
Browsers don't display ads; web sites do. Televisions don't display ads; the broadcaster does.
A browser's function is to display web content chosen by the user; OpenCandy's, et. al. function is to display advertisements, hijack your browser, etc., not chosen by the user.

OpenCandy is an advertising software module, and not a PUP (although some might have various opinions depending on how they perceive it).
I say again, Potentially Unwanted Program. Nobody says, "Hey, I really wish I had OpenCandy; where can I download it?" or "I really can't get enough advertisements, how can I get more?" No, it is bundled sublimely with completely unrelated software. Potentially pretty much makes it absolute.

If an anti-PUP program is trying to convince me that it will stop all software I potentially could not want, then it better do so or it isn't very good at fulfilling its claims. OpenCandy is well-known; to miss that would be like a sieve letting boulders go through. Or, their interests and mine don't coincide.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015

I agree. If not malware, it is at least a PUP which should be detected by all AV's. I actually try to use AV's that can detect it without the use of a secondary real time scanner like Malwarebytes. Sadly very few AV's detect it anymore which annoys me. One that does is ESET. Reason Core is pretty light compared to Malwarebytes so makes it a great alternative. Especially since it's great at detecting adware/PUPs like OpenCandy.

Your solution deletes the files it makes in temp folder, no need to worry about unchecking those crap PUPs it tries to install. Well as far as I know it stops them. Haven't had it fail yet.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Browsers don't display ads; web sites do. Televisions don't display ads; the broadcaster does.
A browser's function is to display web content chosen by the user; OpenCandy's, et. al. function is to display advertisements, hijack your browser, etc., not chosen by the user.

You still didnt get my point. An ad-supported program and potentially unwanted program are different. A potentially unwanted program (PUP) is a piece of software that is also downloaded when a user downloads a specific program or application. KMPlayer isn't a PUP but Pandora toolbar that is bundled inside KMPlayer is. OpenCandy is not a PUP but the offers that gets downloaded by it is the PUP. OpenCandy itself is harmless and is not installed on the system.

Reactions: roger_m and Kent

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
OpenCandy is a separate program, independent of the program it is bundled with; Malwarebytes Antimalware stops it from executing/installing. OpenCandy says it runs on your computer; cf. http://opencandy.com/faqs/

Either way, I (and other users) don't want it, whatever you choose to call it and if product A wants to argue semantics and not block it and product B gives me the choice, guess where I'm going?

Reactions: OokamiCreed

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
On the OP, I checked out herdProtect. It's neat but limited in that 1) I cannot select where it scans, and 2) I cannot see where it scanned (no log); therefore I cannot even think my system is clean since I know it doesn't scan beyond the C: drive and doesn't scan junctions or other root folders on C:.

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through to only scan a portion of a computer.

Reactions: NekoJonez

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
PUP are combination of possible bundled programs that contains spyware, viruses or adware.

No matter what if its a pure adware or not but the fact its been detected under circumstances of proving bundle programs even with user consent. Therefore OpenCandy is Adware/PUP/Grayware.

To clarify, OpenCandy is more on advertising stuff but its conditions are purely normal to detect AV since its private collection condition are to way to be safe.

NekoJonez

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
On the OP, I checked out herdProtect. It's neat but limited in that 1) I cannot select where it scans, and 2) I cannot see where it scanned (no log); therefore I cannot even think my system is clean since I know it doesn't scan beyond the C: drive and doesn't scan junctions or other root folders on C:.

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through to only scan a portion of a computer.
Or so you would think. I tested out with putting adware samples on my E: drive... And yes, they got detected. :D.

But for the other remarks, I agree. I even get disappointed because there is no registry scanner. :/

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Do you happen to have junctions from C: to E:?
Did you move Windows folders to E: (i.e. \ProgramData, \Users, et. al.)?

NekoJonez

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
I moved Windows folders. I think that might have to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.