Last edited:
Reactions: marg

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Forum software manages the length of posts by limiting how much text one can write and removing excessive new line characters, but unfortunately the resolution of images posted is not taken into account, allowing me to create an arbitrarily long post using a chain of very long images. This method can also be used to crash browsers in some circumstances by eating up RAM. On Facebook for example, the full image will fail to load and in some cases cause the page to crash.

Last edited:

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I easily implemented this with you tube videos lol :eek:

Another trick would be to fake the resolution by modifying the phys chunk of the PNG (as I used above) to a normal value so any dumb image processor would probably crash from underestimating the amount of memory needed to display the image. Each image above actually takes about 250MB of memory to display yet the file is only some 300kb large :)

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I've seen a lot of these in FB though it didn't crashed my browser

Reactions: Cowpipe

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Don't crash the IE8 browser here, but the entire browser page of this topic is white .. (no more MT logo at the top too ..) - nothing.

This PNG image has 313.5 KB.

Reactions: Cowpipe

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.