The Lightest Av for Android

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why would anyone prefer "lightest" over "best protection:?
Because it's an Android Phone, not a High-End Windows Gaming PC plugged into Mains Power 24/7. You have to consider:
- high battery drain
- permissions access (privacy)
- possible heat-related issues (shut downs)

And it's not as if Android has zero protection against threats;
- Google Play Protect
- Phishing/Malicious site protection - Chrome / Supported browsers
- Changing your DNS on supported devices
- Android One
- Monthly OS updates on supported devices

What would you say is the lightest AV in terms of CPU and RAM for Android v7.0.

I just want good protection and no bells whistles. Also that it is freeware.
For lightest*, the built-in Play Protect is a start.
"Play Protect surely has the potential to become better in the future, as Google has the data and resources to improve its algorithms and systems, as Microsoft did with its Windows Defender."
Read more: Spotlight on Security: why the claims of Google Play Protect are misleading | AV-Comparatives
"This looks like a ML algorithms to me that tries to make decisions - before opening app and if app was rarely seen in ecosystem."
Google Enhances Google Play Protect on Android, but Is It Enough?
Alternatively, this 3rd party App: Bitdefender Antivirus Free for Android

* assumption based on minimal features, usage and new updates.

Last edited:

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
I don't recommend Avast, WTF 13 trackers , 59 permissions , data mining app.

I recommend Bitdefender or ESET :)

Avast trackers:

• AppsFlyer
  • Facebook Ads
  • Facebook Analytics
  • Facebook Login
  • Facebook Share
  • Google Ads
  • Google Analytics
  • Google CrashLytics
  • Google DoubleClick
  • Google Firebase Analytics
  • Inmobi
  • Moat
  • Twitter MoPub

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Having sung its praises on other threads here in the past, I've had to uninstall Sophos because it has slowed my (not very powerful) tablet to virtually a standstill. It's a shame because in other respects It's outstanding, especially for a free product, but its new Intercept X incarnation seems to be rather more resource heavy than its predecessors. I see that some here recommend Bitdefender but I found that just as tough a load as Sophos, plus it has ads. Avast is even worse.

So it's back to the search for a light AV for me too, and the two lightest by some distance I've been trying are Panda (OK, not much love for it amongst the MT faithful) and Eset. Even the paid version of Eset with web protection is pretty darn light, but like some have already mentioned, I'm not convinced that feature is necessary with Android.

So I suggest either of the free Panda or Eset versions.

Reactions: KonradPL

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
Having sung its praises on other threads here in the past, I've had to uninstall Sophos because it has slowed my (not very powerful) tablet to virtually a standstill. It's a shame because in other respects It's outstanding, especially for a free product, but its new Intercept X incarnation seems to be rather more resource heavy than its predecessors. I see that some here recommend Bitdefender but I found that just as tough a load as Sophos, plus it has ads. Avast is even worse.

So it's back to the search for a light AV for me too, and the two lightest by some distance I've been trying are Panda (OK, not much love for it amongst the MT faithful) and Eset. Even the paid version of Eset with web protection is pretty darn light, but like some have already mentioned, I'm not convinced that feature is necessary with Android.

So I suggest either of the free Panda or Eset versions.

Did you really installed Bitdefender free? I see no slowdowns or ads here, and never had...
I also recommend Blockada Adblocker, not just for the purpose of removing ads in almost every app I use, but also because you can change your DNS to a more security oriented one with ease.

/W

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.