The most effective antivirus for battery usage under Windows 10? (laptops/tablets)

cătălin

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 21, 2018
As the title says, under Windows 10, which antivirus is more efficient on battery? Are there tests for this? Did you do some tests for that?
I own a Surface Pro 3 (i5, 4 gb ddr) and I'm interested in a balance between protection and battery consumption.
Wich antivirus is the best in this regard?

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
The most efficient would be those AV's that only will respond to files that the User would initiate (like most free AV's). But even for those AV products that will do constant scans I would doubt that they would make a dent on battery life- certainly a good deal less than using a browser or watching a movie or playing a game.

As far as testing is concerned, you will never see any such test as there are too many variables involved to make such a test meaningful.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Antivirus software with default settings are usually balanced between good protection and performance. Increasing protection may have a negative effect on performance.

Ideally no Antivirus is better, but humans are unreliable.

Web Browsers
"Microsoft claim that Edge is better than Chrome for battery usage"
All browsers battery-hungry software. The more extensions/addons active, the more resources are consumed in the background, and watching videos on Facebook and YouTube are sure to drain the battery faster.
- Disable unnecessary extensions (Keep your adblocker enabled).
- Avoid resource heavy websites

Turn off Background Apps
Similar to Android and iOS, the Windows 10 OS allows Background Apps which may drain the battery.
https://www.howtogeek.com/241752/how-to-stop-windows-10-apps-from-running-in-the-background/

Battery Saver
How to Use and Configure Windows 10’s “Battery Saver” Mode
- Lower screen brightness
- Use black wallpaper on OLED/AMOLED displays
- Terminate unnecessary software from running (ie. Skype, Spotify etc).

D

Deleted member 178

As the title says, under Windows 10, which antivirus is more efficient on battery? Are there tests for this? Did you do some tests for that?
ummmm...ummmmmm....
1- the one reading/writing the less on the drive
2- no
3- no

I own a Surface Pro 3 (i5, 4 gb ddr) and I'm interested in a balance between protection and battery consumption.
Wich antivirus is the best in this regard?
Any, just disable scheduled scans and set the real-time engine to scan only on execution (means it won't scan perpetually any files you access but only those you execute), so less drive spinning , less power consumption.

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.