New Update The new cloud-based McAfee

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
This is not a promotional post and does not encourage trial, purchasing and usage of McAfee.
It is an informational post.

McAfee has been upgraded to a new cloud-based architecture, as well as bloatware from before has been cleaned up.

The UI looks like this:
1709393342772.png

1709393376842.png

It now has only 2 processes.
1709393032448.png

Local databases are stored in C:\ProgramData\McAfee\wps (total size about 350 MB)
rpdata and content
1709393169592.png

1709393202753.png

As for effectiveness, I've not tested in depth and I don't expect much. Might test and update this thread.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Thanks for sharing this information. It's great to hear about the improvements McAfee has made with their new cloud-based architecture. Looking forward to hearing about your testing results.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Interesting.
I especially like the idea of the Cloud. It could be interesting with its JTI and Artemis detections...

(and lighten it up, I've seen that it uses the Windows firewall now)

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Interesting.
I especially like the idea of the Cloud. It could be interesting with its JTI and Artemis detections...

(and lighten it up, I've seen that it uses the Windows firewall now)
It now uses Windows firewall to control inbound communications and their own firewall + IP/Domain reputation to control outbound communications. I haven’t seen that blocking in action, they were one of the few vendors to offer no system wide connection blocking.

I saw that JTI detections are now renamed to TI. There are some new detection names like Trojan:Office/CVE. From my quick test I wasn’t very satisfied but it wasn’t a proper one.

That version has no local base whatsoever, local machine learning rules are supplied for JTI (which was always a mixture of cloud + ML) and Real Protect (which will be used if the system is offline). Other than that, everything is in the cloud.

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
@Shadowra good point about the Firewall. You provided some nice links, @Trident :)

Also some comparisons...I'm almost intrigued to try it :)
View attachment 281902
It was super quick to install and uninstall so it’s not a lot of hassle to try it. Additional cloud features such as breach monitoring (which is way better than Norton and Bitdefender) and account scanning are available at protection.mcafee.com and can be accessed even if product is not installed. I did not see Web Advisor, not sure what happened there.
@Shadowra may be time to test it.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
McAfee Internet Security is one of the antiviruses I've got installed on my test PC. I had seen the new UI, after updating a few weeks ago, but didn't realise it was a major change, as for some reason, McAfee regularly change the look of their products. So every now, I then I boot from my McAfee partition, check for updates and see if they've changed the UI again. One obvious difference I noticed, was that it had context menu scanning again. This was something that was removed in the previous update. I like the new look, but I don't like that as before, there is very little that you can configure.

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
McAfee Internet Security is one of the antiviruses I've got installed on my test PC. I had seen the new UI, after updating a few weeks ago, but didn't realise it was a major change, as for some reason, McAfee regularly change the look of their products. So every now, I then I boot from my McAfee partition, check for updates and see if they've changed the UI again. One obvious difference I noticed, was that it had context menu scanning again. This was something that was removed in the previous update. I like the new look, but I don't like that as before, there is very little that you can configure.
They mentioned on a thread that McAfee believes in automated configurations that provide acceptable level of security with minimum level of false positives.

I am not a fan as well but it works for many.

lyldz

Level 2
Verified
Jun 4, 2016
I thought about it too, but it didn't happen.Those who received the old update continue to receive updates in the form of R53,R54 etc.
Unfortunately, there was no update to the new version.

Reactions: Trident

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.