Question McAfee Malware Cleaner

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

likeastar20

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2016
Is this a new tool? I don't remember seeing it before. Also, it deleted Vanguard (seems to have a lot of FPs) 😂.It also closes explorer.exe when you run a scan.
sadtwet.PNG

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
McAfee Malware Cleaner built on the same technologies like McAfee Avert Stinger is an aggressive tool for cleaning heavily infected systems. It is best used by McAfee support or a knowledgeable person who can tell what’s malware. It’s not too different from Norton Power Eraser and is not substitute for second opinion scanners like Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Mcafee actually beat everyone in a recent phishing test smoked Kaspersky to. You actually cant go wrong with mcafee.
Where does your trust for McAfee come from? Probably based on reports of AV-Test, AV-Comparatives, or yourself testing sophisticated malware samples against McAfee?

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Products from McAfee are so aggressive that you will experience a real attack of aggression when you try to remove them from the system. Even after the standard removal, followed by cleaning the system using a special removal utility from McAfee, you will still need to manually delete 15-20 entries from the system registry, as well as remove 3 drivers from the Windows system folder (I found these drivers remaining from the antivirus by accident a year after the removal of McAfee).
After 7 years, I am not sure that I have no remnants of McAfee left in my system.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Products from McAfee are so aggressive that you will experience a real attack of aggression when you try to remove them from the system. Even after the standard removal, followed by cleaning the system using a special removal utility from McAfee, you will still need to manually delete 15-20 entries from the system registry, as well as remove 3 drivers from the Windows system folder (I found these drivers remaining from the antivirus by accident a year after the removal of McAfee).
After 7 years, I am not sure that I have no remnants of McAfee left in my system.
Seven years and you didn't do a Microsoft Windows clean install?

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
This thing with the remnants is not really a great way to compare antivirus software as they all leave a lot. If you regularly engage in changing your security provider (let’s call them that) and you calculate the size of remnants left behind, it will probably be equal to the size of installed Windows XP.

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
Where does your trust for McAfee come from? Probably based on reports of AV-Test, AV-Comparatives, or yourself testing sophisticated malware samples against McAfee?
Actually you are wrong when was the last time you tested mcafee? Me and trident have actually tested new samples against Mcafee trident being also a professional malware researcher. I think i can count on him and tests that we have conducted I'm not just talking about AV tests LMAO! Also the products prevention technologies would also block these infections the general cleanup tool has missed. Why just assume that my trust is through AV tests?? Also Mcafee has one of the best data breach services that covers more spots than any other product.

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Actually you are wrong when was the last time you tested mcafee? Me and trident have actually tested new samples against Mcafee trident being also a professional malware researcher. I think i can count on him and tests that we have conducted I'm not just talking about AV tests LMAO! Also the products prevention technologies would also block these infections the general cleanup tool has missed. Why just assume that my trust is through AV tests?? Also Mcafee has one of the best data breach services that covers more spots than any other product.
There is no point going around, arguing over antivirus software 😀
You are wasting your time here.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I see now, I have just guessed (wrong) that with AV-Tests because you mentioned this phishing test 😉 No need to argue, thanks for your reply.

About professional security researchers, I thought those people are always very busy, so it’s odd someone has this amount of spare time visiting this forum 24/7 and rarely having the ability to participate on a lot of forum discussions here.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
About professional security researchers, I thought those people are always very busy, so it’s odd someone has this amount of spare time visiting this forum 24/7 and rarely having the ability to participate on a lot of forum discussions here.
Why am I being spoken about? On a thread that was presumably for McAfee Malware Cleaner?
I am actually a consultant (self-employed). My job is not Monday to Friday 9-5, I work at different times and at different times.

My suggestion to anyone looking to get the same flexible hours and not to be “always very busy” is to spend less time testing, commenting and engaging in various other activities related to McAfee, that will in no way decrease their billions, but to go build their own business and do something productive with their time.

About my participation in discussions, I am under no obligation to participate anywhere. I participate where I deem necessary and interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhioRebel

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Why am I being spoken about? On a thread that was presumably for McAfee Malware Cleaner?
I am actually a consultant (self-employed). My job is not Monday to Friday 9-5, I work at different times and at different times.

My suggestion to anyone looking to get the same flexible hours and not to be “always very busy” is to spend less time testing, commenting and engaging in various other activities related to McAfee, that will in no way decrease their billions, but to go build their own business and do something productive with their time.

About my participation in discussions, I am under no obligation to participate anywhere. I participate where I deem necessary and interesting.
Well, @nickstar1 first mentioned you in his post #12 and you joined to this discussion too. Furthermore, I haven't meant you personally rather spoken about professional researchers in general. Of course you can do whatever you want even in this forum, but I can do the same as everyone else here as long as we are following the forum rules ;)

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Well, @nickstar1 first mentioned you in his post #12 and you joined to this discussion too. Furthermore, I haven't meant you personally rather spoken about professional researchers in general. Of course you can do whatever you want even in this forum, but I can do the same as everyone else here as long as we are following the forum rules ;)
That was a good comment actually 😀😀😀
I liked it.

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
Did a quick test with new samples just to show the power of the actual product and the different detection technologies. For those that want to try the product id suggest doing your own tests and make your own opinion but for me it's always detected new threats very well. The prevention of the product against threats is much better then the malware cleaner.

Attachments

• infection 1.png
    infection 1.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 158
  • infection 2.png
    infection 2.png
    381.7 KB · Views: 159

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Did a quick test with new samples just to show the power of the actual product and the different detection technologies. For those that want to try the product id suggest doing your own tests and make your own opinion but for me it's always detected new threats very well. The prevention of the product against threats is much better then the malware cleaner.

We are not talking about LiveSafe but about Malware Cleaner :)
The last time I tested McAfee, I killed it with a VBS script and an old worm (AutoRun, dating from 2006) had managed to install itself...
I didn't test it again since then because of lack of time

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
We are not talking about LiveSafe but about Malware Cleaner :)
The last time I tested McAfee, I killed it with a VBS script and an old worm (AutoRun, dating from 2006) had managed to install itself...
I didn't test it again since then because of lack of time
McAfee for years has maintained similar capabilities and setup to ZoneAlarm. Web Advisor is more aggressive and if you download the samples potentially will detect them. If you introduce them not through download detection is iffy.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.