RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I just migrated to Linux, specifically Elementary OS (Ubuntu). I'm actually dual-booting with Windows 10 but i only go to Windows to game, while i browse, watch videos and work with Linux (mainly office work, libre office, pdf, i download a lot of pdf's and office files from the web).

Since my working habits require a lot of browsing and downloading, i wonder:

How do i protect my Linux distro?
Should i use an antivirus?
Should i configure the built-in firewall somehow?
Should i manage/configure/download any other security tool?

I'm actually using Chromium so that means i equipped the browser with security extensions (PopUp Blocker, HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock, NoScript). What else should i do?

Emre

Level 1
Dec 23, 2015
I use Manjaro Linux. It is updating the OS like rolling release. Installing and updating the software from its package databases. I couldn't get any malware when browsing with linux. Also it is faster than Windows 10 especially when your hardware is old. Maybe you can open a firewall and choose a strong admin password, that is all.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
There are a few Linux malware in the wild but you're not likely to actually be hit by one unless you go looking for it. Anyway if your work involves sending pdf/doc files to other people I'd install an Antivirus to avoid infecting other people.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I've been having the same doubts lately, ever since I started trying out ubuntu. My mind is shaped (or someone could say deeply traumatized :LOL:) by windows modus operandi and I still apply the same logic while thinking about PC security. When I searched for an answer to that question on few linux discussion boards, I found strong opinions on both sides; one side seems fanboyish and sees linux as completely bulletproof OS and the other side seems overly paranoid with multiple AV and antirootkit scanners. :cautious: The right way is probably somewhere in the middle and it depends on your computing habits.

So far I have enabled ufw and fortified my browser with HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin and NoScript. I might install some AV in the future, just for an occasional scan after torrenting, or I might give firejail/firetools another go, only to keep my slightly paranoid mind calm. :D

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
He will open a infected document and forward it?
Basically yes, it's possible. Let's get a doc file for instance. An infected doc file normally has a macro recorded that either is the malicious payload or that will download it once the doc file is opened. Some office suites will not remove this code even if they can't execute it for compatibility with Word. So he would be unaware the file was infected and could edit and forward it.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
In Linux, you do not need antivirus, except you send. things to another system Windows only to see that you do not send anything infected ... But not because you go to infect you. In linux, windows malware does not run. because it is another platform, it is just update and not give your password to any third party program .... No linux users are asking for help because they are infected, that is the best test that does not affect malware to linux.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Thing is, most malware these days is about money and Linux as a platform as well as its users just aren't a very attractive target to work on. Most are geeks, practice safe habits as it is and oftentimes stay away from social platforms like Facebook.

Why hurt your teeth on them when there's a world of careless and click-happy Windows users out there?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.