App Review The PC Security Channel - Bitdefender v. Kaspersky Ransomware Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Also, its a short cut to the video folder and Bitdefender says it a infected file.
What did you use to download it? Some Youtube video downloader websites are quite shady and I wouldn't recommend using them.

MP3 files are normally not malicious and can't directly harm your PC. The only way they could possibly harm you is by exploiting a vulnerability of Windows Media Player or other Media Players. So you are saying that the shortcut to a folder on your PC in which your songs are is infected, right?

Last edited:

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
What did you use to download it? Some Youtube video downloader websites are quite shady and I wouldn't recommend using them.

MP3 files are normally not malicious and can't directly harm your PC. The only way they could possibly harm you is by exploiting a vulnerability of Windows Media Player or other Media Players. So you are saying that the shortcut to a folder on your PC in which your songs are is infected, right?
I just pool the video out to my desktop and made a folder and put the song in it. Then put the shortcut on my desktop. After a few seconds Bitdefender coms out and put the short cut into quarantine.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
My point is that backups don't prevent data theft, so the concern remains.
Agreed, however other malware that uses data exfiltration and/or back doors your system doesn’t leave a flashing sign that you owe them bitcoin, tipping you off that your data may have been stolen. Unfortunately my PII has been stolen so many times I just permanently have my credit frozen and monitored.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.