Status
Not open for further replies.

cptredsox

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
hi!

iam looking for a security suite or simply AV/FW combination that works fine together. i would prefer a suite to minimize the running processes that are running in the background. Its hard to see through all the hyped suites and paid reviews, so which ones can you recommend ? I would like a suite not to heavy on performance, with good AV and FW, HIPS would be nice but isnt a must have .. i already throwed a look at the following candidates:

-Comodo with CIS Pro 2012
-Eset Smart Security 5
-Emsisoft Internet Security Pack

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
mercurial said:
Littlebits said:
As far as the database, the signature-based malware definitions are exactly the same for detection feature. The Protection features are different, ZoneAlarm uses its own front-end protection. ZoneAlarm uses an older Kaspersky engine, Kaspersky never license its latest engine to third-parties.

So basically the detection is the same for on-demand scans but the protection may differ. What makes ZoneAlarm just as strong as Kaspersky is its Advanced Download Protection, which scans each downloaded file for malware before letting it download to your system.

Most infections come from downloading files.

Thanks.:D

I agree to that, even on independent Lab Test Zonealarm has performed excellently, and i think some one mentioned above that it had a lot of pop up, to that i would say before it had a lot of popups but it's not the case with the latest version and as Littlebits suggested ZoneAlarm AV + Firewall is an excellent AV+FW combo, Zonealarm is a highly regarded pure firewall and i don't think ill need to explain about Kaspersky :D

image000jq.png

At default settings on Application Control-
Network Firewall is set to Med for Trusted Zones, High for Public Zones.
DefenseNet is set to Auto- If you set to it manual you will get more popups. DefenseNet is a cloud-base service that helps configure trusted programs for you, each process is scanned by Kaspersky in the cloud then automatically configured.

Users who complained about popups probably either had the DefenseNet set to manual or had the Network Firewall set to High. Maybe they were in a Public Zone.

ZoneAlarm has had DefenseNet for about 4 or 5 years now which pretty much limited most popups unless there is a process that is unknown then it will ask you what to do.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
KelvinW4 said:
Doesnt the suite have high ram usage? The last time I used it had 200mb of ram.

It only uses under 35,000k on my system (8GB of RAM) while downloading torrents. Firefox uses around 400,000k with multiple tabs opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.