Not open for further replies.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
As for my opinion on Kaspersky being trustworthy or not: Until there's evidence to prove otherwise I see absolutely no reason to distrust Kaspersky.
US government always follows the simple rule: "Guilty until proven innocent." (And that never happens, obviously) You can even get arrested by simple here-say.

Note: There was an article on Softpedia, that Google has found no ties with Russia hacking US, but I guess it was removed, since I can not find it. Politics. :cautious:

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Understanding that the US does not want any foreign program. for reasons of national security .... But it is not to be transferred to the Common Users. but I do not think NASA or the Pentagon or the White House, ever used Kaspersky

+1. It was a bad idea for the U.S. govt to be using Kaspersky in the first place. They will always compete militarily even if they can agree on banking issues.

Microsoft isn’t hiding the fact that it’s collecting data on you. Should we stop using M$ ??????
Windows 10 Privacy | Is Windows 10 Spying on You?
Is Windows 10 spying on you? Microsoft speaks out | TechRadar

How about google play store spying ?
How Android apps are spying on you
Sneaky trick to stop Google tracking your every move

You press agree to use, then press Next, Next, Next ............:censored:
That is a low :devil: and this is your choice.

Reading the EULA, MS has given itself rights it doesn't deserve and when that happens there is always abuse. I feel sure that someday there will be problems because of MS' non-transparent handling of data collection and because of the extent of the rights the company has granted itself to take any data it cares to take. There are many troubling statements in the EULA for me.

Unbelieveable that there are people actually believing this... :rolleyes:

If you mean that MS might be misusing the privileges the company has granted itself, how can anyone possibly believe this with no public evidence of such in existence? Still, their policy all along with data collection and the lengths required to turn off the elements of the OS have been sketchy and unprofessional in my opinion. What other company can say that because you bought its product, the company can see, take, and use your bank records. This is correctly with government regulation and should be corrected here in the U.S. and in the other nations around the world. This is my opinion on MS data collection policies and activities.

I hope we don't find out that MS misused this self-granted privilege, but I have a lingering suspicion that at some point improprieties will come to light. Just seems like the way things work when ethics, oversight, and good policy are missing from a situation.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Kaspersky Antivirus Banned by Best Buy Due to Spying Concerns
eDYTg4m.gif

The heart of the matter is not that any Kaspersky product has or is now being used to perform reconnaissance, espionage, or attacks. It is the fact that there are personnel with ties to intelligence agencies and also worries that individuals within the company will cooperate or can be unduly influenced to do things they would not otherwise do.

Is it a legit worry ? Probably, in terms of a worst-case scenario.

But then you also have to ask yourself this question - how much influence does the Chinese government security agencies have over all the digital device and PC manufacturers - including individual component suppliers ? Influence can be used to obtain cooperation or force an OEM subcontract supplier\assembler to put implants of various types right on the factory floor.

Is it a legit worry ? Probably, in terms of a worst-case scenario.

Agents being planted within the security soft industry where they have access to tons of juicy things is decades old.

If a person likes Kaspersky, it works for them, then they should use it. The greatest threats are not to home users but government systems.

Last edited by a moderator:

In Cyberwarfare, a government can enlist the assistance of or force an AV company to push the full spectrum of recon\espionage programs to user systems and endpoints.

Think about it. Cyberwarfare updates pushed to tens of thousands of government servers, workstations and millions of businesses and home users. Digitally signed, running as SYSTEM, or very cleverly hidden - fully integrated in a cunning way.

Not possible ? No ?

Under adversarial conditions it is already part of the plan. This kind of thing has been studied and investigated by many governments since the 1960s. It is routinely discussed nowadays by various war colleges and planning agencies. It's a legitimate worst-case scenario concern.

It's common sense.

If the Swiss and Swedes ever decide to go to war, then it would be common sense that Swiss agencies would uninstall all Swedish software, and Swedish agencies would uninstall all Swiss software. Swiss and Swedish businesses and home users would be directed to do the same.

Well, one would hope that it would be an evident common sense thing to do, but given all the mistakes made with system and digital device security you just never know.

As things stand, I don't think any of the Kaspersky debate really affects home users directly. It's a debate about potential national security threats under dire circumstances.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
USA was the first country to advocate Globalisation, but now when it finds itself loosing out it has started crying foul and making all sorts of excuses to stop foreign companies entering its border. If any other country had done that then the WTO etc would have put all sorts of ban on that country. Some decades later USA will again start advocating Globalisation.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

This is really just an orchestrated campaign of a nothingburger IMO.

The US Govt. is extremely complicit in the spying on people using US Based products, this has been well established. Prism, etc.. But everyone knows Trend Micro is basically a branch of the CIA now, that McAfee whitelists state sponsored malware and Norton employees intelligence assets.

So where do you put your trust? Frankly, Putin and his cronies will never knock on your door in the USA but you can bet that any of the above firms can, and will utilize information gathered to knock on peoples doors should the need arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.