Serious Discussion US to ban its citizens from using Kaspersky?

Mar 10, 2024
Smells more of “Buy the American” campaign. Nothing new.
You do know there is not a whole lot made in America anymore right? It's out sourced, companies shifted over seas, software/hardware and everything in between imported. Im not exactly sure what they plan to do about all that as they would literally have to shut the whole system down and revamp it. :unsure:😉😁

Just saying!

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
The discussion started years ago, despite allowing governements to check the code Kaspersky was banned (link)

The open internet never really was completely open (China and North Korea filtering webtraffic), now more and more contries are monitoring internet traffic, some explicitely (e.g Saudi Arabia) and some silently (the green countries on the map below are not really as green as they seem, as disclosed by Snowdon - link}

The EU is also realizing they are to dependant on US based services (link). With geo-political forces pushing the 'who monitors and regulates our information' discussion further and further to the digital world, my guess is that in 20 years or so the open internet will be an semi-open internet with four or five global aliances controling and monitoring their own sub-worlds.

EDIT: to put it into perspective: Social media "show you what you like" AI and interest based content feeding programs, have a much higher impact on what people see and notice of the world. When you like 5 or more cat movies on TikTok or Youtube, your world will narrow down to cat's doing funny stuff.

Last edited:

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
I feel sorry for Kaspersky. They never found any evidence against Kaspersky. And I'm sure they investigated it hard.
This is the same irrational fear the US has had of Russia for decades. It creates unnecessary and needless conflict. It would be good to accept each other and not just seek conflict. Peace.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
This will affect Kaspersky in terms of profits and telemetry, and will reduce the quality of their feeds as well. Companies relying on these feeds will most likely have to subscribe to additional vendors as well.

Kaspersky will have to push harder than ever in the EMEA sector to cover for the losses.

These are the facts unfortunately.

SpyNetGirl

Level 3
Well-known
Jan 30, 2023
I find this completely stupid, but nothing surprises me since Kaspersky has been blacklisted by the USA since 2017 (Trump did)

But personally, it makes me laugh... Why? In detection alone, Kaspersky is light years ahead of the American AVs (the only one that can still compete with it is Norton).

I think everyone does, because an AV without services or other features is not an antivirus.
Just imagine if you could kill the protection with a simple Taskkill... that would be crazy and the brand would take a hit.

EFI Bootkits are not services, but don't mind me, keep praising russian product 🤷‍♀️

• Hundred Points
Reactions: JoeN and ErzCrz

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
EFI Bootkits are not services, but don't mind me, keep praising russian product 🤷‍♀️

I'm not selling anything, I already appreciate your interventions and especially your tool for Microsoft Defender.
Just that I use it and have no problems with it.
If one day I find something better, I'll test the competition ;)

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I think everyone does, because an AV without services or other features is not an antivirus.
Just imagine if you could kill the protection with a simple Taskkill... that would be crazy and the brand would take a hit.
On Windows any background process that has no visible window is called service, on Linux and Unix-like operating systems, it’s called daemon.
It’s impossible to work in the background efficiently without a service/daemon. It is only possible to launch a small agent that displays a tray icon for example.
On this forum, we are not here to praise. We are merely stating the facts and they are:
  • Kaspersky has been around for quite some time and so has Putin. So far there is no evidence that Kaspersky has endangered users privacy and security. There are speculations.
  • There is no evidence that any other company’s software, including the very Microsoft Windows can’t endanger users privacy and security.
Tech firms lately have come under increased scrutiny all over the world. Their modus operandi has been the same 15+ years but only today everything started to become a problem and governments started to put their nose, and wave fingers.
Could it be that they are desperately trying to cover holes in their thinning budgets with lawsuits, bans and whatnot?
Ask yourself this question.

PALTO01

Level 1
Jul 7, 2021
Why people's have to follow what any Government's or Religions or Financial/Banking sponcered things said them to follow that's that

Reactions: Chuck57
Mar 10, 2024
I joke a lot on these topics simply because at one time it used to be an unspoken rule of thumb in these parts especially because this is a global community, and that rule of thumb was there are two topics to stay clear of here and that's political and religious.

That said, I want to point some things out.

How many users here are running Lenovo computers? Remember when they were in the news because china was adding backdoors.

With just that one example it's not hard to understand all these countries do unsavory things and if the US is at odds with Russia right now and determine this is the best course of action to secure themselves amongst a silent long time running in the background cyberwar, so be it. It has the right too just as these other countries establish things against the US.

Tiktok is another example of issue the US government was on about, with the Chinese.

If you were to look at a total of incidences behind cyber attacks you will quickly see both China and Russia are at the top of the list.

These observations are not based on my liking products, but reality.

Screenshot_20240414-143842.png

Last edited:

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I use Kaspersky Plus. I like Kaspersk Plus, and will continue to use it whether they ban us from using Kaspersky or not - IF I can get updates, obviously.

Next, they'll be telling me I'm not allowed to use WPS Office because it's Chinese, and I will continue using WPS Office because it doesn't need regular updates.

rooney49

Level 1
Jun 14, 2023
I use Kaspersky Plus. I like Kaspersk Plus, and will continue to use it whether they ban us from using Kaspersky or not - IF I can get updates, obviously.

Next, they'll be telling me I'm not allowed to use WPS Office because it's Chinese, and I will continue using WPS Office because it doesn't need regular updates.
+1 to your inputs. I have license of Kaspersky Standard and still have more than 500 days left on it. Plan to continue using it. I may shift to F-secure Total afterwards, but will wait for Kaspersky's license to expire.

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
A purely political decision, as well as assistance in the fight against a competitor for American antiviruses. And if such a ban is justified for government agencies, then for an ordinary user, this is an example of dictatorship on the part of the state under the pretext of "security for citizens."
Every user has the right to use in their daily life the antivirus that they consider the most optimal for themselves in terms of protection, cost and ease of use.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Virtuoso

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.