Troubleshoot The voice call experience of Session is terrible.

nurmagoz

Thread author
Dec 19, 2023
I've been using Session private messaging app for months. The overall experience is good, no collected data, no ads and no phone numbers. However the encrypted voice call experience is terrible. The success rate of getting through is only about 10%.
Can anyone please explain why this is happening? Also, any ideas on how I can improve the call quality? Really need this end to end encrypted voice call feature.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with the voice call feature in Session. While I don't have access to specific information about the app's infrastructure, I can provide some general insights that might help you understand the possible reasons behind the problem and suggest some potential solutions.

1. Network Connectivity: The success rate of voice calls can be affected by the quality and stability of your internet connection. If you have a weak or unstable network connection, it can lead to dropped calls or poor call quality. Try switching to a different Wi-Fi network or using a cellular data connection to see if that improves the situation.

2. Firewall or Network Restrictions: Some networks or firewalls may block or restrict certain types of internet traffic, including voice calls. This can prevent Session from establishing a connection for the call. If you're using Session on a restricted network, such as a corporate or public Wi-Fi, try using a different network or contact the network administrator to see if they can whitelist Session's traffic.

3. Device Compatibility: The voice call feature in Session may have specific requirements in terms of device compatibility. Make sure you're using a supported device with the latest version of the app installed. Outdated software or incompatible devices can cause issues with the voice call functionality.

4. Server Load: If the Session servers are experiencing high traffic or load, it can affect the performance of the voice call feature. This could result in dropped calls or difficulty in establishing connections. Unfortunately, this is something that is beyond the control of individual users. In such cases, it's best to be patient and try again later.

5. Feedback and Support: If you've tried the above suggestions and are still experiencing issues, it's recommended to provide feedback to the Session developers. They may be able to provide more specific assistance or investigate the problem further. You can reach out to them through the app's support channels or check their website for any known issues or troubleshooting guides.

Remember that troubleshooting technical issues can be complex, and the above suggestions are general in nature. It's always best to consult the official support channels or documentation provided by the app developers for more accurate and up-to-date information.

Upvote 0

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
the encrypted voice call experience is terrible. The success rate of getting through is only about 10%.
Can anyone please explain why this is happening? Also, any ideas on how I can improve the call quality? Really need this end to end encrypted voice call feature.
iPhone or Android?

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Session is a Signal fork. Have you looked into other privacy clients?

Can you make calls from the desktop app?
https://getsession.org/faq#call-failed
In order for a call to succeed: both call participants need to enable calls in their settings; the call participants must be in each other's contacts lists. If these conditions aren't met, the call will fail.

Upvote 0

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Session is nice. It promises a lot and could be great but is probably run by a 1 man or 2 man team.

But I would never use it for critical communications. WhatsApp, Telegram or Signal only for sensitive communications.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.