thecombo101's config

P

Plexx

Could I ask if you are using Home Basic more or Linux Distro more for your daily tasks?

Would like to hear some feedback on Kubuntu 12.04 in terms of performance (against your system specs), usability and hardware support.

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
I use Windows more since I game a lot.

Kubuntu's running well with my current specs:

WHpuF.png

No issues as of now but it's a bit less user-friendly than Linux Mint IMO. (Linux Mint is meant to be very user-friendly anyways)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I also like looking at hardware. :p Love the Graphics you have. 2GB would give you enough power to play games. Ever thought about upgrading RAM to higher amounts?

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
I actually plan to get it upgraded to at least 4GB soon. 2GB's too low for me. :p
Except, well... my paranoid mom who's really paranoid that something might go wrong with a RAM upgrade. :huh:

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
Update:
Using FortiCient Standard and Sandboxie now as my main real-time protection.
For now, no issues and I don't feel any sluggishness.

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
thecombo101 said:
Update!

General computer knowledge: Intermediate
Level of security risk: Medium
Operating system: Windows XP SP3
OS architecture: 32 bit
Non-admin account: No
Real-time protection: avast! 7 (free edition), Privatefirewall, Sandboxie
On-demand scanners: Malwarebytes (free), Hitman Pro
Browser(s): Firefox (has NoScript, WOT, Adblock Plus, Ghostery), Google Chrome (has WOT, Adblock Plus)

P.S.: Yes, I have Java. And I keep forgetting to put Sandboxie in my setup.
Please edit your post rather than posting a new post. it is actually easier for us...then

P

Plexx

Payback said:
Please edit your post rather than posting a new post. it is actually easier for us...then

The reason why he posted an update post was to let us know he made an update.

Simply editing the config post will not generate any alert.

Funny enough, I do not see you addressing such issue on other user's config posts.

@thecombo101: How is FortiClient so far for you? How is it's firewall behaving on your system?

Do you mind the amount of processes of FortiClient?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Have you considered adding Lastpass and HTTPS Everywhere?

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
@Biozfear

FortiClient has less system impact than the free ZA suite on my PC. Firewall's pretty okay, I just added the games to the exceptions and no impact while gaming.
(Am I supposed to expect pop-ups? I haven't seen any as of now.)
I don't mind the processes, as long as my system doesn't actually slow down a lot from them.

@McLovin

I do have HTTPS Everywhere already. :D

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
Update:

Switched back to free ZA suite, and added a bunch of other stuff that I forgot to add before.

Reason: For some reason FortiClient managed to cause problems with the NVidia drivers and I had to reboot thrice to actually use the PC. :(

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
Had to do a factory reset because a brownout managed to screw up the desktop. :/

For now I'm just running a barebones security setup...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.