thecombo101's config

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
I recently had to do a factory reset because a brownout managed to screw up the desktop... Oh well.

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
Even though I'm trying to keep spending as low as possible, I'll go check those backup options. What's the difference between the free one (Paragon Backup and Recovery 2012 Free) with Paragon Drive Backup 10 Professional?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
thecombo101 said:
What's the difference between the free one (Paragon Backup and Recovery 2012 Free) with Paragon Drive Backup 10 Professional?

The difference between the two, you can find at this link.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
thecombo101 said:
Wow, how did I not notice that. The free edition already sounds good to me.:D

No problem. Glad that I could help ;)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Real-time protection:
You are using the free version of avast 7 right?
Didn't use PrivateFirewall for a long time, did they improve their whitelist?
Do you have Java Installed on your system?

On-demand scanners:

VTUploader (Free) - link
To upload a file to VirusTotal, you can visit the main analysis site, click the Browse button to select a file from your hard drive, and then click the Send file button. You can make this process even easier with the free VirusTotal Uploader utility. After installing it, you can simply right-click any file under 20MB and choose "VirusTotal" from the Send To Windows menu. The scan results will display in your browser as usual.

Virtualization:
I strongly advise you to install Sandboxie and use it for when you're browsing the Internet or running shady/unknown programs(not that you should do that but... :) ) . Alternately you can try BufferZone PRO (Free) , another great virtualization software.
Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

Additional browser add-ons
Ghostery (Free) -link
Ghostery is your window into the invisible web – tags, web bugs, pixels and beacons that are included on web pages in order to get an idea of your online behavior.
Ghostery tracks the trackers and gives you a roll-call of the ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers, and other companies interested in your activity.
You can read here a review on Ghostery

Extra protection:
EMET 2 (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) (Free) - Optional (Recommended mostly because your are using Windows XP ) - link
EMET provides users with the ability to deploy security features built into Windows to arbitrary applications. This helps prevent vulnerabilities in those applications from successfully being exploited. DEP, SEHOP and ASLR are such security features, if you want to learn more about what they do, you can watch this video from Microsoft TechCenter. To configure EMET you should follow this guide by rationallyPARANOID.

Last edited:

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
Update!

General computer knowledge: Intermediate
Level of security risk: Medium
Operating system: Windows XP SP3
OS architecture: 32 bit
Non-admin account: No
Real-time protection: avast! 7 (free edition), Privatefirewall, Sandboxie
On-demand scanners: Malwarebytes (free), Hitman Pro
Browser(s): Firefox (has NoScript, WOT, Adblock Plus, Ghostery), Google Chrome (has WOT, Adblock Plus)

P.S.: Yes, I have Java. And I keep forgetting to put Sandboxie in my setup.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
When updating your configuration, you just have to edit the first post. Then make a reply to your thread stating what you have changed.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well you need to keep it up for latest updates (Java) to make sure your immune from exploit the time it is patch. But if your not using Java for any purpose then its safely you can remove it.

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
Replaced avast! and Privatefirewall with Comodo Internet Security 5.10. Also added Revo Uninstaller.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Can I ask why you changed from Avast and Privatefirewall to CO-MO-DO Internet Security 5.10?

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
I found that using CIS gives my laptop less slowdown than using Avast+Privatefirewall combo. I'd actually rather have a fast and secure security configuration than a somewhat slower but easy-to-use security configuration.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Definitely CIS just uses two processes and both were fine consuming. You can configured CIS on a maximum protection as possible.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
thecombo101 said:
I found that using CIS gives my laptop less slowdown than using Avast+Privatefirewall combo. I'd actually rather have a fast and secure security configuration than a somewhat slower but easy-to-use security configuration.

Okay. Wise choice if it makes your computer run faster. I would also think and like James said that you have configured CO-MO-DO Internet Security for maximum protection.

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
I got a new desktop, so I'll be using this thread for the new desktop because I converted my old laptop from Windows to Linux.

P

Plexx

Could I ask what Distro of Linux you are using?

Depending on your needs I would recommend Linux Mint (LXDE desktop version) or LUbuntu (LXDE desktop version of Ubuntu).

If you want to go more hardcore, then you could try a Slackware based Distro.

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
I actually did try Linux Mint LXDE, I liked it but my laptop is strong enough to run Ubuntu (The current one installed), I actually sort of like the Unity interface, so Ubuntu's going to stay for awhile. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.