thecombo101's config

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good choice as Waterfox known to be the fastest version so far using the engine of Firefox itself.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Are you planning to buy Norton? IF then buy it as you wont regret it. Just check newegg they have some great deals.

shalnark11

Jun 19, 2011
Get Superantispyware Free And If Your Norton Expires Get Avast 7 AV Free And Lastly Get A Decent Firewall Or Try Tinywall

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
Since I currently have a limited budget, I'll have to decide between getting a free AV or a cheap paid one (like NOD32, Webroot, etc.). Any recommendations? I'm searching for an AV with little to no slowdown and the fact that I game quite a bit. So not really for Comodo right now...

Oh, and I'm using CCleaner with CCEnhancer now.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
If you are a gamer and want to buy antivirus then i would recommend ESET and you wont be disappointed but i would recommend you to try ESET Trial before you actually buy it
Thanks

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would consider ESET Nod32 if you were to purchase an AV.
thumbsup.gif

Other AV choices I would suggest:
Either Avira Free and/or Kingsoft AV 2012 (Light, Companion, Cloud AV).

Which ever you feel comfortable with and doesn't disrupt your gaming. :)

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
Now dual booting with Linux Mint 13. I find the Cinnamon desktop environment to be quite nice. :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Do you use the Windows Firewall as a firewall? or?

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
Added: ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall (For testing purposes) and Zemana Antilogger Free.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
thecombo101 said:
Added: ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall (For testing purposes) and Zemana Antilogger Free.

ZA free suite:
Be interested to know memory working set on this lately.
Was initially using in excess of 100mb i think.
Thanks in advance :)

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
The only noticeable slowdown so far is the boot time, but it's tolerable. Everything else is still good though.

zatray.exe is sitting on an average of 6MB while ForceField.exe is at about 2MB. It's a bit lighter than I expected.

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
Removed: ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall
Added: AVG Anti-Virus Free and ZoneAlarm Firewall (I've become a fan of ZA firewall :D)

So I decided to keep the firewall and thought of switching to Avast, but I think that the latest build of Avast is too buggy for me to use so I installed AVG instead.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Out of curiosity Why did you remove the ZA AV (Kaspersky engine) ?
Detection wise Kaspersky always seems to outperform AVG.

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
Honestly, ZoneAlarm's antivirus isn't bad at all, it's just that it's not enough to stand out from the others (Avast's streaming updates and shields, AVG's Identity Protection, Comodo's Defense+). But it's good for people who don't need bells and whistles and just want simple security. The only con I really found was the once a day autoupdate.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Thanks for your response.
Yes the once a day updates would certainly deter me :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Something that I think every AV should be doing is updating their databases at least every 2-3 hours.

thecombo101

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 24, 2012
Removed: AVG Anti-Virus Free
Added: avast! Antivirus Free (Thank you avast! for the bugfixed build. :D)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.