Thecommissar Computer Security...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecommissar

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 10, 2016
Hello all; I am a former ransomware sufferer and since 2015 have not had another attack until recently when BitDefender 2016 force-upgraded me, uninstalling itself, then failing (of course) to reinstall properly, after which it became difficult to install the new version and left me without a main AV for 2 months. During that BD downtime Windows Defender detected RANSOMWARE (which obv panicked me, though it removed it), so I successfully fixed BD TS 2018 and currently run this as above with WinPatrol WAR and HMPA.

I'm fairly confident the above is more than sufficient for Anti-Ransomware purposes, which is my main concern. But I've also just gotten interested in computer security, so I'm looking maybe to add another program, mostly for enthusiast purposes, I admit.

I have BD 2018 set in Paranoid Mode so it throws outbound connect alerts (a favored recommendation of @cruelsister), though I've considered replacing the BD firewall with something like Comodo Firewall or Zone Alarm, BD and others have told me the drivers will conflict (if I wanted to use a dedicated firewall soft, using BD AV only, not Total Security, would be the way to go).

More for my own edification/entertainment, I'd love to have a more sophisticated network traffic analysis program/firewall/notifier, but I Imagine anything else will conflict with BD TS2018? If anyone has any suggestion I'd love to hear.

I'm investigating VoodooShield. I'm also investigating doing my web-based downloading in Sandboxie.

Thanks in advance for comments!

T

The paranoid one

Hi @thecommissar
Comodo Firewall is more effective against ransomware than ZoneAlarm and you could use GlassWire to view outbound traffic. This should work and if you also want to accompany them with Avast free (has a good anti-ransomware defense too) you would have an excellent free defense.
Comodo Firewall and Bitdefender can work together if you obviously disable the BD firewall.
Voodooshield is an excellent app, but if you use the cruelsister configuration for CF you should not install it. The same goes for Sandboxie, the Comodo sandbox is very good, you do not need to have both,
You would have an excellent defense composed by:
  • Bitdefender TS 2018 + Voodooshield + Sandboxie
  • Comodo Firewall + Avast free
  • Comodo Firewall + Bitdefender 2018
I particularly use the second configuration and would only change this by Emsisoft or Kaspersky
Please
Nice to meet you

Last edited by a moderator:

thecommissar

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 10, 2016
Hi @The paranoid one Thanks for your reply.

1. GlassWire looks so cool! (I know its silly but I love GUIs). Initial reading seems to suggest it has a poor firewall component though, so I assume I could just play around with it, as you say, for monitoring.
2. As for the rest - I'm definitely set on using BD TS 2018 - I really like it, and it works for me. So if Comodo Firewall won't interfere with it that would be something I'd consider... (though BitDefender forum people seem to suggest the drivers for BD Total Security 2018 will interfere with any other firewall (unlike BD anti-virus only, so makes me nervous that even if it makes no overt issues, it could be undermining security in ways I can't see...)

3. And ok... I thought Sandboxie was just a soft VM basically for application level - why would it interfere with Voodoo Shield? (I can understand that Comodo has a virtualization component so that might be a clash).

Also, some on this forum have suggested BitDefender Total Security (an older version anyway) will not work *well* (or presumably will have issues) with Comodo/any 3rd party firewall installed on top of it.

Q&A - Comodo Firewall + Bitdefender Total Security?

Obviously I can try it, but I'd be hesitant again for creating unseen issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The paranoid one

I have used these two together in the past. He did not know that now they could have conflicts working together. I'm looking for more information.
I imagine that excluding each other should not have problems.
The GlassWire´s GUI does something as difficult as a firewall looks nice, of course, ;) and with VoodooShield + SandBoxie you would be perfectly safe. I usually recommend VS in Autopìlot Mode, at least initially. This way you have to interact on many less occasions

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
About Comodo Firewall:
1 Its strong point is not the actual firewall. It is the autosandbox (containment) and HIPS features that make it strong. I am not putting down the firewall, but you can get those features from other products.
2 It's not a good idea to combo Bitdefender TS with Comodo firewall or any other complex security program. The Bitdefender compatibility record is not very good, and Comodo firewall is particularly prone to conflicts. But Voodooshield will probably work with Bitdefender without conflict.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I need a confirmation so I can correct it.
He has mentioned of using BD firewall below his config.

I have BD 2018 set in Paranoid Mode so it throws outbound connect alerts (a favored recommendation of @cruelsister), though I've considered replacing the BD firewall with something like Comodo Firewall or Zone Alarm, BD and others have told me the drivers will conflict (if I wanted to use a dedicated firewall soft, using BD AV only, not Total Security, would be the way to go).

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Please edit your config and complete all fields.
Do you make system image backups? A very important task considering you are the victim of a Ransomware attack(s).
Consider backing up important data to an external drive also.
Do you test malware samples? and if so hopefully in a virtual environment.
What browser do you use?
What browser extensions do you use?
Preferred search engine?
Password manager?
Content blocker(ad blocker,scripts,trackers)?
Frequency of system image backups(if you are doing them)?
Consider CCleaner if not already installed.
Have you given any thought to upgrading to Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.