thecommissar's Config - 4 layers, want to remove 1?

Windows Edition
Home
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
BitDefender Total Security 2016, WebRoot Secure Anywhere AntiVirus, HitmanAlert3 Anti-Exploit
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
HitmanPro (paid), HijackThis
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome, Citrio, Firefox, IE, Opera, Midori, Sleipnir
Maintenance tools
None
File and Photo backup
Casper (bootable clone), CrashPlan, Various Cloud storage
System recovery
Casper

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Just because an adblocker is beneficial to you doesn't necessary mean the same for others. It is his choice whether or not to use an adblocker and it shouldn't decide that a config is secure or not. :)

Enabling UAC and Smartscreen is a good idea.
Of course it is his choice but I can always suggest some changes which in my opinion could increase his security.

Reactions: XhenEd and DJ Panda

thecommissar

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 10, 2016
Isn't SmartScreen an IE-only anti-phishing thing? I have IE listed but only because I have it and occasionally I might need it for some enterprise/work/web-form that won't work for whatever reason in other browsers, I don't use it.

*And yes I have taken under consideration all the recommendations on the forum; very helpful. I'm researching Sandboxie, possibly AppGuard, and a few other related packages.

**And yes I'm going to do Win10 free upgrade soon before the deadline.

H

hjlbx

Isn't SmartScreen an IE-only anti-phishing thing? I have IE listed but only because I have it and occasionally I might need it for some enterprise/work/web-form that won't work for whatever reason in other browsers, I don't use it.

*And yes I have taken under consideration all the recommendations on the forum; very helpful. I'm researching Sandboxie, possibly AppGuard, and a few other related packages.

**And yes I'm going to do Win10 free upgrade soon before the deadline.

SmartScreen is just not anti-phishing -- it is also anti-malicious URL and file reputation lookup. For example, upon execution of a file, SmartScreen will query Microsoft cloud. If a file is has a bad reputation, SmartScreen will block it from executing. Other times, SmartScreen will display warnings for little-known or digitally unsigned files.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@thecommissar: If IE implement Smartscreen for Phishing then its so ineffective, actually the browser technique is one of the highest detection compare to others which why a highly must to enable it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.