App Review This Tiny Gadget is a VPN for Life...

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Unbox Therapy

Kongo

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Hmmm..I don't know $500 for the basic version! That seems steep. Might as well stay with a software VPN.
140$ actually

Screenshot 2022-02-22 225710.png

I find it quite interesting. Definitely on my wishlist. (y)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Some points

1) Later will need to pay for some subscription
2) Use speed is unknown since all nodes are being shared
3) Sharing your node with others might affect your PC/laptop performance
4) Does it do double hops?
5) Network ads.....ha........ha...........as long as there are ads......no thanks

Reactions: Kongo

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
correct me if i am wrong, i think your network will be used as exit nodes for others.

Well, no. That's backwards. Your ISP connection will be used as a DPN, meaning that you share your connection with others just as they share theirs with you. I'm not just how that works from a p2p standpoint, but that's the basic idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kongo and printing

Kongo

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Well, no. That's backwards. Your ISP connection will be used as a DPN, meaning that you share your connection with others just as they share theirs with you. I'm not just how that works from a p2p standpoint, but that's the basic idea.
From what I've understood you can disable that option if you have a weak connection. But yea, the more people enable it, the more "servers" will be available for other people.

Kongo

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Some points

1) Later will need to pay for some subscription
2) Use speed is unknown since all nodes are being shared
3) Sharing your node with others might affect your PC/laptop performance
4) Does it do double hops?
5) Network ads.....ha........ha...........as long as there are ads......no thanks
Some points

1) Your data won't be accessed by a company
2) You can enable smart route so that you can connect to multiple regions at the same time
3) ad/tracking and malicious site blocking which you need to pay for with most other services
4) Sites can't detect that you are using a VPN as you ain't using real "VPN servers"
5) VPN can be used while traveling without having to install a VPN on every device
I think he said that you can enable that.

After all I understand the scepticism but the main idea behind the product is cool and I hope it will become more common in the future.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Some points

1) Your data won't be accessed by a company
2) You can enable smart route so that you can connect to multiple regions at the same time
3) ad/tracking and malicious site blocking which you need to pay for with most other services
4) Sites can't detect that you are using a VPN as you ain't using real "VPN servers"
5) VPN can be used while traveling without having to install a VPN on every device

I think he said that you can enable that.

After all I understand the scepticism but the main idea behind the product is cool and I hope it will become more common in the future.
The problems

1) How safe is each node since they are with the users? The device itself must have some kind of protection against being hacked vs say hacking a VPN server. This is also one of the weakness of TOR since each TOR server is individually owned and run.
2) VPN servers are up ALL the time, except during maintenance/shut down or being hacked. If you happen to pass through one node and that user shuts off his PC/laptop then what? The node is running 24/7 or just a few hours of daily use by the user. How fast the system works will depend on how fast is the PC/laptop running that node something similar to TOR.
3) The nodes are being shared. I believe there's an element of cryptomining here, meaning your PC/laptop time will be shared by others and vice versa. Will it affect the speed performance of your PC/laptop?

Reactions: roger_m and Kongo

Kongo

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
1) How safe is each node since they are with the users? The device itself must have some kind of protection against being hacked vs say hacking a VPN server. This is also one of the weakness of TOR since each TOR server is individually owned and run.
Quote from their official website:
Deeper Connect offers enterprise-level cybersecurity service that shields from viruses and Trojans, prevents malicious tracking, detects intrusions and restores safety online. 7-layer enterprise grade firewall scans each packet and brings home the security of next-generation technology.
But yea, the security of the individual nodes is my main concern too.

2) VPN servers are up ALL the time, except during maintenance/shut down or being hacked. If you happen to pass through one node and that user shuts off his PC/laptop then what? The node is running 24/7 or just a few hours of daily use by the user. How fast the system works will depend on how fast is the PC/laptop running that node something similar to TOR.
As the product is in an early state and as there are not that many users yet, that of course will be a problem. The more users get the product in the future the more nodes will be available to connect to. So if one node is unavailble Pico needs to find another one in the same region. I of course don't know how they handle that at the moment, but we will see what the future brings.
3) The nodes are being shared. I believe there's an element of cryptomining here, meaning your PC/laptop time will be shared by others and vice versa. Will it affect the speed performance of your PC/laptop?
I am afraid that I don't quite understand what your point is... As far as I understood you can pretty much opt-out from anything that you don't need in the product. So you can basically just use the DPN module and disable sharing your connection with others.

Another quote from their website:
We do not own any centralized servers as every Deeper Connect is in essence a server and a client. All these devices distribute around the world to communicate and share bandwidth with each other.

Every user can set a limit to the amount of bandwidth he/she wants to share with other users. One advantage is that users can receive credits for sharing their bandwidth to later exchange them for Deeper Network services, which include monthly software updates.

This form of sharing economy has the advantage to benefit the users who contribute to the sharing, without the need of a middle man mediating the transactions or charging fees. For more information please visit: deeper.network

The information is also quite limited at the moment as there aren't any major tests apart from YouTube reviews, but it's in an early stage anyways.

Reactions: Venustus

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Quote from their official website:

But yea, the security of the individual nodes is my main concern too.

As the product is in an early state and as there are not that many users yet, that of course will be a problem. The more users get the product in the future the more nodes will be available to connect to. So if one node is unavailble Pico needs to find another one in the same region. I of course don't know how they handle that at the moment, but we will see what the future brings.

I am afraid that I don't quite understand what your point is... As far as I understood you can pretty much opt-out from anything that you don't need in the product. So you can basically just use the DPN module and disable sharing your connection with others.

Another quote from their website:

The information is also quite limited at the moment as there aren't any major tests apart from YouTube reviews, but it's in an early stage anyways.
If you disable your sharing meaning you won't get monthly software updates. So you must share your bandwidth (controlled) meaning it can affect your PC/laptop performance since others are using some of your CPU power (and vice versa)

The Deeper Connect is more of protecting your online surfing. I'm talking of the hacking of the physical device itself. It's similar to your router providing high security for your online surfing but can be hacked physically. The device sits between the modem and router just like the router sitting between the modem and the PC/laptop. There are similar VPN devices available but they are just not decentralized.

Kongo

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
The Deeper Connect is more of protecting your online surfing. I'm talking of the hacking of the physical device itself. It's similar to your router providing high security for your online surfing but can be hacked physically. The device sits between the modem and router just like the router sitting between the modem and the PC/laptop. There are similar VPN devices available but they are just not decentralized.
Oh, now I understand what you mean. Well, they don't mention anything about it as far as I know.

The most information you can get here: Cybersecurity Service | Deeper Network

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Our ISP (Ziggo) offered something simular a few years ago. Ziggo is the largest ISP in the Netherlands (<30% totaal households, including single and student households, >40% share in family households). The idea was that the ISP QoS was expanded to 10% maximum. Everyone participating could use local Wifi for anywhere in the Netherlands.

Initially they charged 5 euro's per month, after a few months they offered it free. They even send a mailing in which people just had to click to "say YES to free wifi everywhere" (allowing Ziggo to enable it in the modem/router they provided). Even with relatively expense data bundles and limited 3G bandwidth (at that time) the idea did not take off.

I would keep your money in your pocket (considering the fact that the Netherlands is often used as try-out for new webservices because of the high tech adoption), because I doubt that idea is going to fly. When Ziggo was taken over by the holding company of Vodafone this service was killed (in stead you got a 5 euro discount when you bought a mobile subscription from Vodafone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kongo

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Our ISP (Ziggo) offered something simular a few years ago. Ziggo is the largest ISP in the Netherlands (<30% totaal households, including single and student households, >40% share in family households). The idea was that the ISP QoS was expanded to 10% maximum. Everyone participating could use local Wifi for anywhere in the Netherlands.

Initially they charged 5 euro's per month, after a few months they offered it free. They even send a mailing in which people just had to click to "say YES to free wifi everywhere" (allowing Ziggo to enable it in the modem/router they provided). Even with relatively expense data bundles and limited 3G bandwidth (at that time) the idea did not take off.

I would keep your money in your pocket (considering the fact that the Netherlands is often used as try-out for new webservices because of the high tech adoption), because I doubt that idea is going to fly. When Ziggo was taken over by the holding company of Vodafone this service was killed (in stead you got a 5 euro discount when you bought a mobile subscription from Vodafone.
Could you share the name of the project?

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 92963

Kongo

Level 36
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
The Ziggo thing sounded like the "Homespot Service" that Vodafone was offering in germany. You get free wifi from other vodafone Homespot users if you let them enable a separate "channel" on your router for others to use.
Oh heard of that, but thats not similar to Deeper Connects approach at all. :unsure:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.