upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
gBxHt66x_o.png

Previous stable version called Heimdal PRO have now been updated to Thor Foresight Home version 2.5.131. The update should happen automatic and without any notifications or issues. First impression, better overview.

The thread for the RC ( Release Candidate ) is still available here : malwaretips.com/threads/heimdal-renamed-new-rc-out.85282/

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Dark Mode, Check.
Software Updates under X-Ploit Resilience. Had to re-enable autoupdate, Check.

As I never used or tried the RC version, this will probably take a few days to get used to but it raise a few questions. What will happen with the domain heimdalsecurity? Will the name/word Heimdal even be around much longer as the main product now is named Thor? I can guess a lot will be answered by itself when the transition is completed and most people are moved over to the new version. The new viking, looks like it belongs in a game for toddlers. The main logo would probably been a better choice IMO.

Last edited:

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
Honestly, as Heimdal is the guardian, and Thor the son og Odin, I still think Heimdal domain will remain.

I noticed the numbers of exploit patched is random generated from this page: Thor Free - Silent Vulnerability Patching

Thor Free patched 49 exploits worldwide since you've initiated the download
Thor Free patched 11 exploits worldwide since you've initiated the download

Cool :p

If I have a little time I will check what piece of code do that, because is funny :)

There is a Nordic God that I think is not mentioned yet, his name is Loki, he was known for make jokes... xD

Now, I understand that thing is only for promote sells, but if the product is a well established name into security, why need make a random number generator for exploits patched? Post instead a CVE link if is true...

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
So you buy Heimdal as I did a couple months ago, then Thor turns up one day with a huge box advertising a product you can't even buy yet unless you want an release candidate that you may or may not want - I actually did buy the full job but transferred my Heimdal Pro as (but is no longer) was to different PC's so will be interesting when they update (have I got this right)? I agree about the Viking he/she looks like something out of a a children's book.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Honestly, as Heimdal is the guardian, and Thor the son og Odin, I still think Heimdal domain will remain.

I noticed the numbers of exploit patched is random generated from this page: Thor Free - Silent Vulnerability Patching

Thor Free patched 49 exploits worldwide since you've initiated the download
Thor Free patched 11 exploits worldwide since you've initiated the download

That's quite silly really & not becoming of any security solution.

Didn't 'Thor the son og Odin', play for Iceland in the last European cup? (Big guy with a beard the size of a Rhododendron Bush) ?

Hawaii007

Level 2
Verified
Jan 31, 2018

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I had the RC installed an uninstalled it. Downloaded heimdal pro but no update to 2.5.131
You did correct when you uninstalled the RC version because otherwise you can't install/use the stable version.

Where did you download Heimdal PRO from? Also if you have a license for that did you try apply it inside the software?

In my case, I never downloaded this new version or even the RC version from anywhere as I had the old Heimdal PRO version that I got from there shop. I don't have a direct download link/url for this latest version but I can guess that's available when one purchase the product or maybe it's possible to simply download the Free version and add the license key inside that. I'm not sure but I have sent these questions along with another support case so I will update here as soon as possible.

Last edited:

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
f-droid.org is flagged as malware by Heimdal, oh god...

Package on f-droid has infinite low probability to be malware than on play store, I suspect I saw enough bad behaviors from this software?

What make me laugh, is that Android Piracy sites are not flagged, and something that has really strong criterias for approval of what is published is flagged as malware, mmm... I don't know.

25akqok.png

:(

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
f-droid.org is flagged as malware by Heimdal, oh god...

Package on f-droid has infinite low probability to be malware than on play store, I suspect I saw enough bad behaviors from this software?

What make me laugh, is that Android Piracy sites are not flagged, and something that has really strong criterias for approval of what is published is flagged as malware, mmm... I don't know.
25akqok.png
f-droid.org was apparently whitelisted in this case, as otherwise one wouldn't see the green button down on the right that says " View Whitelisted ". But to fully get a unblock work 100% there is extra steps that most be done. It's extremely easy to fix.

Step 1. Click the Red button where is says " Unblock ".

AjXqpnFH_o.png

Step 2. Read the Warning Message!

The tiny text that says " Once unblocked please clear the cache of your browser to access the website " is crucial for the unblock to work.

AlHS9rcq_o.png

Step 3. Tick the box ( click ) on the left side of the text where it says " I AGREE that I have read and understand the terms and conditions for unblocking this pages. Then click on the button " Confirm ".

tVvcf6dH_o.png

Step 4. Clear the browsers cache and close the browser and then re-start the browser. Now go to f-droid.org again.

CkpCUUN1_o.png

f-droid.org been submitted as a false positive.

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
f-droid.org will not be whitelisted in Heimdal Securitys global list. They consider the site spread malicious apps and it's a possible risk this will in the end also effect PC/ Windows OS. One could of course easy argue against this but it's a waste of time and energy because they made up there mind and there decision is final. The only way to get around this is either whitelist a domain like I showed in the previous post, or don't use the software.

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
Goodbye Heimdal :p

Guess they should focus on Aptoide maybe? :ROFLMAO:

Jokes aside, what they try to do is basically avoid some rogue store be added by user, they fix the problem by blocking the main domain...

Last edited:
Reactions: upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.