-

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@root/: please kindly consider:
  • To pair WD with OSArmor or VoodooShield Free.
  • Set UAC to Always Notify.
  • As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add: ZAM Free and Norton Power Eraser.
  • As for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.
  • Consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices, and not only in cloud.
  • As for "Web Privacy", You may add some browser extensions: and a VPN service.
  • A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.
  • Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here.
Thanks for sharing Your config :)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Where You typed "Personal data -> Backup External HDD", You may point to / denote that You ran manual backups of important data to external devices.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Important aspects that needs to change straight away:
  • UAC to Always Notify
  • Install Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper to backup files
Additional things you may consider to add:

Chrome extensions:
  • Decentraleyes
  • Scriptsafe
  • uBlock Origin
  • VTChromizer
  • Click & Clean
The above would the basics to start off with in Chrome. Other extensions can be tailored when you see them.

Web privacy you could add Sandboxie for Chrome & Windscribe free VPN

Add ZAM Free & Emsisoft Emergency Kit alongside adwcleaner.

Wise Disk Cleaner is a better alternative to CCleaner, if you prefer the latter; there's no need to change.

Consider adding VoodooShield to your set up. Maybe add Tinywall as a Window Firewall option too.

I think with the current setup how it maybe, you could be at risk, dependant on browser habits.

~LDogg

xSploit

Level 1
Jul 7, 2012
You may consider implementing the following strategies to maximize your OS privacy without hindering your workflow:
  • Configure Windows 10 telemetry settings to minimize collection.
  • Disable Cortana, diagnostics, tracking, and other services.
  • Disable Windows Error Reporting (WER).
  • Disable Windows Timeline, shared clipboard, device hand-off, and other synchronize-by-default applications.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
UAC, WD & uBlock Origin alone, dependant on browsing habits I believe to be inferior for adequate security. But as this is your own personal setup, you may change or leave as is for your config.

VoodooShield would plug the common gaps some infections like to exploit. As Brain.exe couldn't detect that CCleaner had malware when it was updated that time. ;)

The VPN was suggested not because of torrenting etc etc but based off normal browsing security.

One thing I did forget to state as well is you could ass SysHardenner too.

The rest can be left up to you!

~LDogg

Aerdian

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2018
I know you said you use this for "light usage," but I would still recommend adding in Ghostery, HTTPS Everywhere, and also make sure the UAC is set to "Always Notify." None of these things should slow down your workflow much, if any, so are good options to consider. Backup software like Macrium Reflect, as I see above, are good additions.

Reactions: oldschool

Aerdian

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2018
@Aerdian Ghostery is a valid option now that it is open source, but that does not wipe its past of being closed source and being owned by advertisers that sell your behaviour. I rarely give privacy software a second chance when they go against what they supposedly stand for. I will probably add HTTPS Everywhere, as I know that is still a great extension. My reasoning for not using Macrium is because I am particular about what I am backing up. If I am able to do something without automated software, i.e. copy and pasting files onto my external HDD, then I would prefer doing it manually myself. The only thing that I will agree with, mentioned by @harlan4096, @LDogg, and yourself, is upping my UAC level to max. I set it to default while installing 200+ Fallout mods, and I should probably return it to maximum level.

Still a great decision. I use Ghostery, but I do understand why a lot of people don't use it. Everyone has their own personal preferences :) I personally normally back up a few important files to a USB and don't do a full backup too often as well. You must be playing an almost different game now with all those mods :ROFLMAO:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
@root/ may I ask why this doesn't add extra security in your own opinion? I can understand with Sandboxie.
Have you looked at any extensions as well? Some harbour little CPU & memory whilst in use.

~LDogg

Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@LDogg because it literally doesn't. It is not exaggeration or stubbornness. On-demand scanners don't "prevent", they "fix". If you're using on-demand scanners to clean your PC, you're likely already infected or anticipating being infected by something. Realistically I don't need any on-demand scanners outside of my USB tools because they make zero difference in the machine's overall live protection. As for extensions, as long as I'm regularly clearing my cookies and deleting my cache on exit, uBlock Origin is the only thing I would need for safe browsing. I used to use HTTPS Everywhere in the past, but even base Chrome now is pretty good at informing you when you visit insecure sites.

Edit: I'm putting strong emphasis on having a slim configuration.

Ghost edit: UAC set to default (again).

No one knows your browsing habits or tech skills like you, and only you know what you are comfortable with on your system.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.