Thread "Privacy" options

Discussion in 'Community Feedback' started by Stenly, Jul 13, 2017.

Would you like to have this option?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
  2. no

2 vote(s)
  3. maybe

0 vote(s)
  4. there is no need for this

6 vote(s)
  5. it would be a nice extension

0 vote(s)
  1. Stenly

Stenly Level 1

Jul 11, 2017
    Hey people of MT,
    Today i've been thinking a litlle about something i would love to have as an option for this forum.
    So, scenario, think with me: Someone hacker choose you to hack (for some reason), and he wants to gain as much info as possible about you, especially about your pc, wich could help him ofcourse. So he trys doxxing (documenting) you and finds this awesome forum, does some lookups and finds your account, with full security configurations. What if he uses that info against you? Thats right, that's not want you want.
    This is one of the reasons why I dont have a lot of info exposed.
    Now 2 points first:
    -This is no hate to this forum, i've been just a few days here and its a great community
    -This does not mean you dont ever post your security info, its just for paranoid people like me ;)

So the idea that i got was:
    There should be an option when you make threads, to choose who can view it based on levels.
    Well if that one hacker finds this, he can be a guest and just get the info, but with levels, they should first be here a long time, and some would just give up and take a diffrent victem.

I know it's kinda worst case scenario, but hey, why not?

Let me know what y'all think of this idea
    Have a nice day :)
    Winter Soldier likes this.
  2. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    Windows 10
    Microsoft is a Public Forum, 90% is visible to Guests.

1. Do not post private information online.
    2. Enable Multi-Factor Authentication for your Online accounts.

You can change your Privacy settings at

For more serious acts and prevention tips:
    Stalking and harassment | Victim Support
    Report a Cyberstalker - Support for Victims of a Cyberstalker

"Cyberstalking, simply put, is online stalking. It has been defined as the use of technology, particularly the Internet, to harass someone. Common characteristics include false accusations, monitoring, threats, identity theft, and data destruction or manipulation. Cyberstalking also includes exploitation of minors, be it sexual or otherwise." Source
  3. BoraMurdar

BoraMurdar Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Doctor of medicine
    Windows 10
    It's possible but not really practical for several reasons.
    • You already control what you share in public forums
    • You already control your profile page for unwanted views
    • Seeing your posts, your introduction or security configuration means nothing to "hacker" or stalker but means a lot for your improvement
    • Probability for someone to connect the strings and find out who you are is close to impossible if you watch what you post
    • Most of your concerns are covered in our Privacy Policy
    • At the end, when you register, you accept the Terms
    • MalwareTips is a Public Forum
  4. Stenly

Stenly Level 1

Jul 11, 2017
    Good points, thanks for the reaction!
    Andytay70 and BoraMurdar like this.
  5. Andytay70

Andytay70 Level 14

Jul 6, 2015
    Electricial engineer
    Windows 10
    I have to agree with both @Spawn and @BoraMurdar,
    Make it hard by not giving personal info out!
    ispx and Stenly like this.
  6. ispx

ispx Level 13

Jun 21, 2017
    not reachable

please pardon me if i seemed rude before.

i rephrase myself,

if you are a member of malwaretips you have the right to read & reply to every post, so no discrimination there.

if you want to choose your audience you always have conversations. just my two cents with all due respect.
    Stenly likes this.
  7. Stenly

Stenly Level 1

Jul 11, 2017
    No problem :)
    I totally understand you points, my thread is just based of an idea, and i just wondered what people think of it, nothing more
    ispx likes this.
  8. Winter Soldier

Winter Soldier Level 25

Feb 13, 2017
    PLC programmer - Robotics industry
    Windows 10
    Honestly, as already said, I believe it is important not to share personal and sensitive info that can be compromising for us, but this is the normal attitude as in the real life.
    I do not believe how much, technical info sharing as configuration or pc use, can be decisive to take action against us at privacy level.
    Parsh and Stenly like this.
  9. RoboMan

RoboMan Level 18
    Content Creator AV Tester

Jun 24, 2016
    Windows 10
    The concern is real mate, and i understand you. But a hacker knowing your security configuration is not giving him actually any advantage over you since it's something he can realise sooner or later if he wants to compromise your system. Best you can do is be careful about your info online and harden your system to avoid getting infected/hacked. :)
    Parsh, Vasudev and Stenly like this.