ThumbsDown's Config.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You could improve a few things by reducing the amount of security software installed, and/or running on-access.

My recommendations are;
- Disable Windows Defender; avast! uses an anti-spyware/antivirus engine to detect threats.
- Uninstall Spybot S&D; no longer providing adequate protection with today's malware.
- Turn off Real-time protection for SAS Pro or MBAM Pro
- Use MBAM and SAS as on-demand scanners.

A few questions, if you don't mind:

- Do you have Windows Updates turned on and automatically updating your PC? Do you have Service Pack 1 installed for Window 7?
- Which version of Internet Explorer are you using? And is SmartScreen turned on?
- What Chrome extensions do you have installed?

ThumbsDown

Thread author
Jul 23, 2012
- It automatically updates when you turn it back on if there is a new update
- 8; no
- I don't know seeing as how it's my sister who mainly uses Chrome

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Using the latest Internet Explorer is just as important as keeping Windows updated. You can get IE9 through Windows Update, or here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/products/ie/home

SmartScreen has improved protection in IE9, preventing users from malicious downloads, or warning of uncommonly downloaded applications.

P

Plexx

In reply to http://malwaretips.com/Thread-I-m-Curious:

No setup is perfect. First of all, what might be considered perfect for one user, might not be for the other.

Then we have some basic questions to have an answer:
-What is the purpose of the system (download, multimedia, gaming, online gaming, etc)
-What are the system requirements of the system
-Would you want Free or Paid or a mix of both solutions
-Would you mind a bit of high ram but still light and have a good system response
-Prevention or detection? Proactive or on-demand protection? Do you mind slow scan speeds
-What features you are looking for

Those are just basic questions and straight away you will have umbra's CIS+EAM+WSA, Chirons Guide, ESET+WSA by me, Kingsoft AV as a main or sub AV by some users, the list goes on...

ThumbsDown

Thread author
Jul 23, 2012
For basic requirements: It's only really used for the Internet so a good Internet security set up
I'd prefer free
I'm alright with a high ram as long as the computer isn't painstakingly slow
Detection & Prevention; slow scans are fine
I'm pretty much looking for:
-Good setup for Internet
-Finds threats immediately/ Deletes them
-Prevents a majority of threats from occurring

And that's pretty much it

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
In my opinion your setup is good but i thing you should disable windows defender and use one of the following since you already have a pro version
Avast + MBAM as realtime and SAS as ondemand

I would also recommend to install comodo firewall using this guide if you consider windows firewall is not good enough
But anyways thats my opinion

ThumbsDown

Thread author
Jul 23, 2012
I was planning on getting rid of Windows Defender anyway. It's pretty much useless when it comes to removing anything.

P

Plexx

ThumbsDown said:
For basic requirements: It's only really used for the Internet so a good Internet security set up
I'd prefer free
I'm alright with a high ram as long as the computer isn't painstakingly slow
Detection & Prevention; slow scans are fine
I'm pretty much looking for:
-Good setup for Internet
-Finds threats immediately/ Deletes them
-Prevents a majority of threats from occurring

And that's pretty much it

For free solutions (up until a point): umbrapolaris combo (Comodo Internet Security + Emsisoft Anti Malware (you get 30 days but if other users download from your link you get 30 days free extra each time) + Webroot SecureAnywhere (you will need to buy it or find a long enough trial). You could use that in mind and instead do some variations:

CIS (Comodo Internet Security), use Chiron's guide (google it or search a few config's and you will find the link).

As for combos, you could do CIS + Kingsoft AV; Comodo Firewall and D+ with Avast free (very popular combo, excluding Comodo Antivirus)

FortiClient Lite with Comodo Firewall and D+

Avast Free with Online Armor (free)

Avast with PrivateFirewall

Those to name a few.

Paid:
ESET NOD 32 Antivirus with Webroot SecureAnywhere (which is what I am testing and running at the moment)

Bullguard AV or BitDefender Antivirus or Panda Antivirus Pro (note that there are still some valid giveaways for over 6 months) etc.

Or a mix of both paid and free.

Now it is up to the user.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Here's Chiron's Guide for Comodo Internet Security.
Probably should be stickied somewhere but with '2013 version' coming soon probably best to wait ;)

D

Deleted member 178

Biozfear said:
For free solutions (up until a point): umbrapolaris combo (Comodo Internet Security + Emsisoft Anti Malware (you get 30 days but if other users download from your link you get 30 days free extra each time) + Webroot SecureAnywhere (you will need to buy it or find a long enough trial). You could use that in mind and instead do some variations:

CIS (Comodo Internet Security), use Chiron's guide (google it or search a few config's and you will find the link).

My combo is very strong for paranoid & wise users that look for a quite light combo. You can replace Webroot by Kingsoft AV (free) if you cant get a license long enough.

you must set it like here

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Man you need much adding/removing software to make your security setup light and efficient.

Real Time Protection:Just Avast is enough for it,Disable Windows defender as you cannot uninstall it.You need Malwarebytes and Superantispyware as on demand scanner but if you wish to use as real time then malwarebytes is enough with avast.

On Demand: Malwarebytes and Superantispyware are enough you don't need Spybot.

Firewall: Any? You can use windows 7 firewall with windows 7 firewall control or comodo or best and easy one---- Privatefirewall.

Browsers:Add adblcok wot and ghostery to chrome and tpl fanboy's list to ie.

More You need:Backup
Cleaning tools like ccleaner and auslogic defrag
Sandboxie.

Hope I help you a bit

P

Plexx

umbrapolaris said:
Biozfear said:

My combo is very strong for paranoid & wise users that look for a quite light combo. You can replace Webroot by Kingsoft AV (free) if you cant get a license long enough.

you must set it like here

That is why I said "You could use that in mind and instead do some variations" but you forgot to actually quote the variations :p

Stranger said:
Man you need much adding/removing software to make your security setup light and efficient.

Firewall: Any? You can use windows 7 firewall with windows 7 firewall control or comodo or best and easy one---- Privatefirewall.

Considering OP knowledge, aint Tinywall or Windows 7 Firewall control easier than PrivateFirewall? PF is not that easy sometimes.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.