New Update Thunderbird 154: Minimize and Close functionality on Windows is changing

Office, email and business apps
9 Replies 1,445 Views

lokamoka820

Level 55
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
The team behind the open source Thunderbird email client plans to introduce a change in version 154 that changes the default minimize and close behavior on Windows.

Currently, when you close Thunderbird on Windows, the program exits and stops running in the background. When you hit the minimize button, Thunderbird lands in the System Tray area.

Starting in Thunderbird 154, this behavior changes to the following:
  • Minimize: When you activate the button, Thunderbird’s window is minimized, but no longer moved to the System Tray.
  • Close: This can be set to minimized to the System Tray and is the default on systems that use the “When Thunderbird is minimized, move it to the tray” preference already.
Thunderbird users may enable “close to tray” to make sure the email client continues to run when the close button is activated. You find the option under Menu > Settings > General > System Integration > When Thunderbird is closed, move it to the tray.

The team says that the option is disabled by default. Users who want the new behavior need to enable the option. There is also an option to start Thunderbird minimized in the System Tray. You find it under System Integration > Start Thunderbird in the tray.
 
I haven't used Thunderbird in a decade. Did they finally add an option to auto-start Thunderbird with Windows in the background, or do we still need to do that manually through Task Scheduler?
 
As far as I know, auto-start with Windows is not yet available.

That's not the case.
If you place Thunderbird 154 in the “Autostart” folder and have checked the option to have Thunderbird appear in the taskbar after startup, Thunderbird 154 will appear minimized in the taskbar when you start your PC.

I just made that change:

1.png


;)
 
It's interesting to note that even after manually deleting all the folders, PopPeeper remains in the notification list.
So I also manually deleted the corresponding registry key.
Perhaps this wouldn't happen if I used an uninstaller, but I don't like using those kinds of programs.
 
It's interesting to note that even after manually deleting all the folders, PopPeeper remains in the notification list.
So I also manually deleted the corresponding registry key.
Perhaps this wouldn't happen if I used an uninstaller, but I don't like using those kinds of programs.
I'm not entirely sure, but some thorough system cleaners might remove these remnants by clearing the notification tray icons cache or database. After a restart, the cache would be recreated with fresh entries.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top