Tim Cook asked to justify iPhone prices (GMA Interview)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Apple CEO Tim Cook would be appearing on Good Morning America.

When asked to justify the cost of the new iPhones, Cook began with a somewhat dubious claim, but went on to talk about value rather than cost.
We want to make an iPhone for everyone. That’s always been our objective, and we’ve got several iPhones in the line that go down to materially lower [prices]. But if you look at this phone, it […] has an unbelievable camera in it, and it has the smallest and most powerful chip ever in a smartphone.
Cook said that most people pay a monthly fee through a carrier, most iPhone owners paying about $30 a month for it – or a dollar a day. That’s good value for what you’re getting, he argued.
Your phone has replaced your digital camera [and] your video camera. It’s replaced your music player. It’s replaced your video player. It’s replaced all of these different devices. So arguably the product is really important and we’ve found that people want to have the most innovative product available – and it’s not cheap to do that.

Watch Full Interview: Tim Cook opens up about what's next for Apple, live on 'GMA'

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
If enough people are silly enough to pay over $1000 USD for a new telephone every two years then he doesn't need to justify himself. Apple will keep selling them for that price and continue to rake in the profits.

L

Local Host

has an unbelievable camera in it
Lumias were half and even lower the price of an iPhone and still had a better camera.
Your phone has replaced your digital camera [and] your video camera. It’s replaced your music player. It’s replaced your video player. It’s replaced all of these different devices.
So have all the other phones, and they don't cost 800€.

Bottom of line, he has no answer for why they overcharge they devices.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Prices are determined by a well-considered guess as to what the market will bear...

Reactions: Weebarra

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Very high prices. When the Apple devices reach my countries, add $200 more to the original price and this is insane. I got my iPhone 6 from my (Jawwal carrier) for $33 a month and lately offered a discount. I paid about $900 for the iPhone 6 two years ago. I am not going to buy the new devices. Last year's model is more than enough.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
The only reason I am using iPhone is because it allows me to buy apps. Using Android phones in "Palestine" is not possible if you want to buy music or apps because it won't allow you to. (Each and every paid app is not available in my country). I once was using Galaxy Grand years ago and I have created a google account using a vpn which is 24/7 connected so that I can buy some apps. I ended with a blocked google account and all the apps were lost. I was not even allowed to buy more Google Drive Storage which, I believe, it is a blessing it wasn't allowed in the first place as there're plenty of better choices (privacy-friendly) around. I ended up using an iPhone :)

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I think it is probably like the can of cola thing where it allegedly cost less than ten cents to produce and put a 12oz can of cola on a store shelf that you pay a dollar for.

Their profit margin is off the chart but as long as people are willing to pay for it then they are entitled to make that profit.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

First.. The good news is, my employer dropped iPhones and just provided us all with Samsung Galaxy s9 or s9+, we got to choose. This is great news, as literally every engineer there detests iPhone. Also it's a security thing, we can run some custom tools and applications that greatly enhance some aspects, including encryption and privacy which are required - the flexibility is far greater.

That aside, here's some tips..

iPhone - I've had every iPhone since iPhone 5 all of the way up to the 8, provided by my employer. They are all generally identical for all intents and purposes except the 7 which was absolutely hideous, had poor battery life, and shutoff randomly. iPhone 7 had a 27% failure rate. Needless to say, don't bother upgrading unless all you really need is a slightly better camera. (but other phones still have a better camera) Paying $1000-$1500 for essentially the same interface and functionality ridiculous. Consider now as a good time to switch to Android, like my employer did, especially after the newly revealed system that seems to be a 'Trustworthiness Rating' of you based on telemetry they gather.

Samsung Galaxy - The 'sweetspot' for budget consumers IMO is the Galaxy s7 Edge, it was one of the finest phones ever made. You can pick up a completely like-new refurb (by Samsung) from Amazon for $250ish. Get that instead of anything else right now if money concerns you and you still want a great phone. Those refurb s7 Edge's are sexy, fast, and have great cameras.

Galaxy s9 - GREAT device, but not a quantum leap over the s7, and only a tiny evolutionary hop over the s8. BUT with the Note 9 out now, they dropped $100-$175 off the s9/s9+, you can get a brand new one unlocked for $599ish and if you are savvy you can find a refurb for $499. This is a sweetspot if you have a 'little' cash but want an absolutely fantastic, powerful phone. Strangely enough, the s8's haven't really dropped much in price and for $50-$75 more you can get the s9 which just saw a big price drop so I consider the s9 a better option for just a little more cash.

My 2 coppers.

If enough people are silly enough to pay over $1000 USD for a new telephone every two years then he doesn't need to justify himself. Apple will keep selling them for that price and continue to rake in the profits.

People are willing.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
First.. The good news is, my employer dropped iPhones and just provided us all with Samsung Galaxy s9 or s9+, we got to choose. This is great news, as literally every engineer there detests iPhone. Also it's a security thing, we can run some custom tools and applications that greatly enhance some aspects, including encryption and privacy which are required - the flexibility is far greater.
iPhone - I've had every iPhone since iPhone 5 all of the way up to the 8, Paying $1000-$1500 for essentially the same interface and functionality ridiculous. Consider now as a good time to switch to Android, My 2 coppers.

you convinced me to at least go look at Samsung Galaxy s9. But I feel like a geek_failure here :eek: once upon a time I had a Blackberry, and the scroll ball popped out, and switched to iphone 4, and have only used iphones thru 8 except skipped the 7. (opted not to go with a X). My "dilemma" I think my iphone has been working ok for me, ie, not aware that I'm hampered by not using android samsung. but just checked with local hi-level tech and he uses samsung as you suggested above (but older version), and he said he tried iphone once and hated it. I'm missing what's to hate about iphone other than overpriced. was samsung a desired item when the batteries were exploding? it bothers me that I'm not seeing the urgency to switch. :unsure:

Reactions: vtqhtr413
L

Local Host

you convinced me to at least go look at Samsung Galaxy s9. But I feel like a geek_failure here :eek: once upon a time I had a Blackberry, and the scroll ball popped out, and switched to iphone 4, and have only used iphones thru 8 except skipped the 7. (opted not to go with a X). My "dilemma" I think my iphone has been working ok for me, ie, not aware that I'm hampered by not using android samsung. but just checked with local hi-level tech and he uses samsung as you suggested above (but older version), and he said he tried iphone once and hated it. I'm missing what's to hate about iphone other than overpriced. was samsung a desired item when the batteries were exploding? it bothers me that I'm not seeing the urgency to switch. :unsure:
Unless you in US, China or Japan the Samsung is not worth the price, as the rest of the markets get an inferior SoC (not worthy of the premium price). If I went for Android, I would get a native phone from Google (as it's clean with no bloat and gets updates faster, as well as better support).

Reactions: simmerskool
D

Deleted member 178

Iphone = phone for super-noob with money that like to show off. When you see the specs, you can't be sane to buy one.
Samsung = phone for noobs with less money. those choosing a S+ Edge serie try to show off like Iphone users. but at least they have very good specs.

i have a Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra, excellent specs for just half the price of a Samsung flagship.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Iphone = phone for super-noob with money that like to show off. When you see the specs, you can't be sane to buy one.
Samsung = phone for noobs with less money. those choosing a S+ Edge serie try to show off like Iphone users. but at least they have very good specs.

i have a Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra, excellent specs for just half the price of a Samsung flagship.
You rooted your current phone?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.