Advice Request Tiny Wall no longer works on Build 17063

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

boredog

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
I found out today that I can no longer install TinyWall in the latest insider build of Windows 10.
Build 17063.

So now as of today I have two of my programs that no longer work with build. TinyWall and there is no further development on this and Shadow Defender. (n)

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
Seems that there is a problems between TinyWall/Shadow Defender with your latest Windows 10 Insider build :( Why you're using Windows 10 Insider on your main pc, not to install it in a VM ?

boredog

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Seems that there is a problems between TinyWall/Shadow Defender with your latest Windows 10 Insider build :( Why you're using Windows 10 Insider on your main pc, not to install it in a VM ?

I have backup for older builds. I use Enterprise eval in my VM

Reactions: Syafiq
D

Deleted member 178

I found out today that I can no longer install TinyWall in the latest insider build of Windows 10.
Build 17063.

So now as of today I have two of my programs that no longer work with build. TinyWall and there is no further development on this and Shadow Defender. (n)
This is expected when you use insiders builds, those builds break security software all the time.

Reactions: Azure

boredog

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
This is expected when you use insiders builds, those builds break security software all the time.
Yup but the way I see it is if software is going to survive, they need to make needed adjustments to keep up with MS, otherwise go down the tubes.
AS far as Tiny goes, I knew once MS screwed that up, I was done with it because it's development stopped years ago.

NormanF

Level 7
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
I'm running Windows 10 LTSB in part not to break things.

New features mean new bugs and compatibility issues. I've seen no compelling reason yet to move to the Current Branch.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

AlennGK

Feb 7, 2018
W10 - first installation of TinyWall
Status: unknown, no internet connection and cannot open UI or something from icon in systemtray!

josecunyat

May 22, 2018
Does happen the same to me with my Windows 10 Pro
Version 1803
OS build 17134.48

and I would like to install TinyWall... had been my more trusted companion for years now!! Dammit!

Do you have any idea of what could be happening and/or how to solve the issue?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Does happen the same to me with my Windows 10 Pro
Version 1803
OS build 17134.48

and I would like to install TinyWall... had been my more trusted companion for years now!! Dammit!

Do you have any idea of what could be happening and/or how to solve the issue?

I just re-installed it last week after finding out about this: Windows 10 Privacy Guide - Spring Creators Update . TinyWall works fine for me on 1803 Home version but I know nothing about your Pro version. Apparently the problem was the out of date signature on the installer and this guy made a new installer for it. He looks to be legit but he is a 3rd party and is violating the license terms so it could disappear from his website at any time if the developer takes action.

ultim

Level 2
Oct 13, 2011
He looks to be legit but he is a 3rd party and is violating the license terms so it could disappear from his website at any time if the developer takes action.

He's legit and was trying to help, I would never take action in such cases. Yes I do have a license that forbids providing alternate installers, but it is meant to forbid packaging TinyWall with adware and other crap, which some download sites do.

Btw, TinyWall has been updated and now works on even the newest versions of Windows.

L

Local Host

Small software like TinyWall doesn't need an installer in the first place, I personally don't trust small software packaged in a setup and always run them in a sandbox to see all the changes they make.

Not to mention they bloat regedit with unneeded entries.

Reactions: oldschool

ultim

Level 2
Oct 13, 2011
Small software like TinyWall doesn't need an installer in the first place, I personally don't trust small software packaged in a setup and always run them in a sandbox to see all the changes they make.

I kindly disagree. Whether an app needs an installer or not is independent from its size. It depends on what actions are needed to set up the app beside just copying files. To make sure TinyWall can always run with the required privileges and that it can start as early as possible, it is optimally run as a Windows service, which alone already makes an installer necessary. But it also performs other functions, like putting things into the GAC for added security, running ngen on binaries to optimize startup performance, creating shortcuts, and of course creating the uninstall entry. I have not created an installer because I love the additional work needed...

L

Local Host

I kindly disagree. Whether an app needs an installer or not is independent from its size. It depends on what actions are needed to set up the app beside just copying files. To make sure TinyWall can always run with the required privileges and that it can start as early as possible, it is optimally run as a Windows service, which alone already makes an installer necessary. But it also performs other functions, like putting things into the GAC for added security, running ngen on binaries to optimize startup performance, creating shortcuts, and of course creating the uninstall entry. I have not created an installer because I love the additional work needed...
Considering TinyWall feature set, I wouldn't want it to start early as possible, nor to be running as a Windows Service.

Shortcuts, Uninstall Entries, Binaries Optimization and GAC are all unrelated, most of those only apply when you create a Setup (even though setup is recommended to install the GAC assemblies, there are other ways), the others don't need a Setup whasoever to work as intended.

Then again there's a reason people tend to say portable apps are for advanced users like myself, as casual users have no idea how to properly run the software by themselves (I believe Tinywall is not exactly a tool for casual users though).

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
Yup but the way I see it is if software is going to survive, they need to make needed adjustments to keep up with MS, otherwise go down the tubes.
I am the opposite -- If my favorite apps don't work on latest version of Windows, I stick with the version where they DO work. I detest forced obsolescence.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Tinywall block even necessary communication outside of the minimum rules that allow for basic communication.
Haven't seen @ultim in a very long time on the forums. Suggest using Windows Firewall and @Andy Ful's Firewall hardening app from Hard_Configurator. And use its other features if you use W10 or 11 (except of clean installs of the latter).

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Haven't seen @ultim in a very long time on the forums. Suggest using Windows Firewall and @Andy Ful's Firewall hardening app from Hard_Configurator. And use its other features if you use W10 or 11 (except of clean installs of the latter).
@ultim = Károly Pados

It is a shame that he had to beg on Patreon for donations because nobody is willing to pay for TinyWall.

"It is not free for me though. Beside some external costs such as for hosting and certificates, it also requires a lot of time investment."

His other projects:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.