Advice Request Tip: Use Firefox for Web Apps

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It’s called Site Specific Browser (SSB) and it’s here now for those interested in testing it.

“An SSB is an application with an embedded browser designed to work exclusively with a single web application,” Mozilla explains. “It doesn’t have the menus, toolbars, and accouterments of a normal web browser. Some people have called it a ‘distraction-free browser’ because none of the typical browser chrome is used. An SSB also has tighter integration with the OS and desktop than a typical web application running through a web browser.”

To use SSB with Firefox, you must be running Firefox 73 or newer—which won’t be hard, as the latest version is 84—and you have to enable it first. To do so, type about:config in the Firefox address bar and click-through the warning. Then type browser.ssb.enabled in the address bar to find the feature. It is currently set to false. Use the toggle button on the right to change it to true and then restart Firefox.

Now, you can run any webpage (and not just PWAs and other web apps) as if it was an app. To do so, navigate to the webpage or web app you wish to use, then click Page actions (“…”) in the address bar and choose “Use This Site in App Mode.”

use-this-site-in-app-mode.jpg

When you do, the page/app will appear as a standalone app window, and shortcuts will appear on the desktop and in the Start menu. You can pin this app to the taskbar or to the tiles area of the Start menu, just as with any other app.

twitter-app.jpg

To manage the apps you’ve installed this way, open Firefox, open the (hamburger) menu, and choose “Sites in App Mode.” You can uninstall any app here by choosing its Uninstall (“x”) button.

sites-in-app-mode.jpg

sites-in-app-mode.jpg

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Thanks! Too bad they might remove it soon. I tried it but could not minimize the window to the system tray.

I'm currently using Rambox CE with the interface skinned for dark mode.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

It's the fastest, but lately I'm using Edge, it's fast too, Firefox beside them is very slow to open the pages, Firefox needs to innovate in this, the user wants speed
Many people say Edge is even faster then Chrome which I personally don't wonder about as Edge doesn't include all the Chrome specific stuff, compared to Chromium.

Microsoft does a good job and they still improve it.

Reactions: Mariihh and enaph

Mariihh

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
Many people say Edge is even faster then Chrome which I personally don't wonder about as Edge doesn't include all the Chrome specific stuff, compared to Chromium.

Microsoft does a good job and they still improve it.
I like Edge because I can always keep it synchronized with the Microsoft account, it makes my life a lot easier, I don't like password extension, and also that it is fast, I think it only loses to Opera at speed, I have tried several browsers, Vivaldi is cool, good level of customization, but it is slow compared to Edge and Opera, so it is only in these two, but really Edge is a beautiful browser, Microsoft will make it better, without a doubt, more and more optimized with Windows

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
If you want customization, everything built into a single browser and speed, Opera is the way to go, and this Opera GX is fantastic, I confess I don't like his privacy issue very much, but who is safe these days? Point me a program, in this question there is not much to do, could I aim for something a little better in privacy, Firefox (very slow and does not work well with Speed Dial FVD)? Brave (don't have the services I need)? But they don't give me what Opera offers, I like a browser at a thousand kilometers an hour, with nothing delaying me and having the services I like whenever I need it, so even today I can't use another browser. It's like they say: don't touch a team that is winning. :p

About Microsft Edge, it has a promising future, there is no doubt that it will become one of the best browsers.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I don't know from where you guys are coming from! Firefox is not very slow. On my system Firefox's page loading is as fast as Edge. Whatever speed edge Edge/Chromium has is not/barely noticeable in real world usage. I wouldn't use Firefox if it was slow. The browser that was really slow is Vivaldi but even they have improved.
Anyway, none of these are the topic of this thread. The Firefox feature that is posted here is going to be removed soon. So I think it's better if the thread is closed by an admin since there's nothing to discuss.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.