To DEP or not to DEP?

What DEP (Data Execution Prevention) options you use?

• Turn on dep for essential windows programs and services only

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Which option do you use and which Windows version?
Is there any benefit from changing default settings?

Clipboard01.jpg

T

TheSuperGeek

I don't know.... I'm on windows 7 Home premium and It's on "Turn on" by default.... I will follow the thread !

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Hi, I have some problems on this:

1. Where could I find this panel?
2. How could I benefit from turning on DEP for all programs?
3. If I turn on DEP for all programs, what kinds of programs should be excluded?

Reactions: TheSuperGeek
T

TheSuperGeek

Hi, I have some problems on this:

1. Where could I find this panel?
2. How could I benefit from turning on DEP for all programs?
3. If I turn on DEP for all programs, what kinds of programs should be excluded?
You can find this panel here :
Go to the start menu, right click to "computer" select "propreties", in the window, on the left, select "advanced system settings" a dialog box will open in the "performace" section click to "settings" and go "DEP" tab.

Van2r

Level 1
Verified
Oct 14, 2013
it is useless anyway i remember i had some problems with DEP and in some games...
most of guide was about to turn of DEP for those games however it doesn't work anytime i tried it said ;This program must run with DEP enabled and you cant turn off blah blah from microsoft windows....

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
By default it runs from the first option ticked, however that effectivity isn't convincing that you're protected at all. So with the use of EMET from Microsoft, that should enhance more mitigations techniques and prevent any exploits attacked; usually those cases are not so easily see by our naked eye and those process occur within split seconds.

+ Considering opening or browsing unusual files/sites then exploits may occur at high chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.